Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have driven 1200 Km without any significant problems. Recently, once the battery was empty and while driving on the charger I experienced a loss of power feeling like there is not sufficient electricity generated, but it went a way when restarting the car. Then, again, but this time when i had some energy left in the battery the problem reoccured. Had to drive on cruise control to be able to drive somewhat smoothly. The motors did simply not respond accurately when trying to accelerate. As in many other cases, the problem went aways once the car was recharged and restarted - thats btw a wonderful feature - anyone having the same issue?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
What might be happening could be normal you will get a reduced performance when you accelerate hard with or without battery charge left if the ICE kicks in . You can also experience reduced AC when this happens . Is this the first time that you let the HV battery go to zero charge ?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Is the loss of power happening while you're accelerating? There's a 'hole' while you accelerate, I believe right around 35-37 (though I could be off on that) that pretty much all the cars have.

Also sometimes the power dips off when the engine comes on, but not every time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
there is an "acceleration hole" around 35 - 40 mph. it does not happen ALL the time.

The power dips when engine comes up under acceleration theoretically happens all the time BUT only apparent to the driver under full throttle acceleration. Here is why:

The ICE doesn't have a "starter" that draws from the 12 volt battery like traditional cars. The "starter" is basically the big motor that also acts as a generator (genset).
Having said that - when the car is under hard acceleration, all the available power is sent from the battery to the rear 2 electric motors. IF during this time, ICE is requested to come on, the genset also needs some power from the HV battery to "crank" the engine, that's when you experience a brief loss of power. The HV battery cannot support all 3 electric motors at full power, so some power is taken away from the rear motors to spin the ICE and then when ICE is up, all powers are restored.

·
Registered
996 Posts
there is an "acceleration hole" around 35 - 40 mph. it does not happen ALL the time.

The power dips when engine comes up under acceleration theoretically happens all the time BUT only apparent to the driver under full throttle acceleration. Here is why:

The ICE doesn't have a "starter" that draws from the 12 volt battery like traditional cars. The "starter" is basically the big motor that also acts as a generator (genset).
Having said that - when the car is under hard acceleration, all the available power is sent from the battery to the rear 2 electric motors. IF during this time, ICE is requested to come on, the genset also needs some power from the HV battery to "crank" the engine, that's when you experience a brief loss of power. The HV battery cannot support all 3 electric motors at full power, so some power is taken away from the rear motors to spin the ICE and then when ICE is up, all powers are restored.

Something else that is interesting is that the ICE will come on by itself to supplement the battery under certain instances of heavy acceleration (i.e. flooring the car up a steep incline in stealth mode) regardless of SOC.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Something else that is interesting is that the ICE will come on by itself to supplement the battery under certain instances of heavy acceleration (i.e. flooring the car up a steep incline in stealth mode) regardless of SOC.
Have never seen this happen... are you sure it isn't accidental?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Never had this happen and I go up and down a lot of hills in San Francisco.

·
Registered
996 Posts
There is a section of highway where this behavior has been replicated multiple times. Usually it involves going around 75-80mph in stealth mode and the car slowly starts to lose steam as it goes up the hill (floored), at this point you feel as if the car is about to stall out but then the ICE kicks on and powers up the hill. The feeling is very similar to that of a clogged fuel filter (before the ICE fires up). I have tried this in two Karma's and they both exhibit the same behavior.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
There is a section of highway where this behavior has been replicated multiple times. Usually it involves going around 75-80mph in stealth mode and the car slowly starts to lose steam as it goes up the hill (floored), at this point you feel as if the car is about to stall out but then the ICE kicks on and powers up the hill. The feeling is very similar to that of a clogged fuel filter (before the ICE fires up). I have tried this in two Karma's and they both exhibit the same behavior.
What's the battery SOC in these situations? Is it the case that the battery has hit the 180KW limit and needs more KW from the generator or is the battery just out of stored electrons?

·
Registered
996 Posts
What's the battery SOC in these situations? Is it the case that the battery has hit the 180KW limit and needs more KW from the generator or is the battery just out of stored electrons?
At least 10 miles left and more often than not closer to 30. I think the HV battery discharge limit has been hit and the car starts the genset to temporarily fix the lack of power problem. Would be cool if the car said as much and jumped into sport mode every time the ICE turns on.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
At least 10 miles left and more often than not closer to 30. I think the HV battery discharge limit has been hit and the car starts the genset to temporarily fix the lack of power problem. Would be cool if the car said as much and jumped into sport mode every time the ICE turns on.

Now I have to try to replicate this.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The acceleration (actually deceleration) happens to me regularly during the same stretch of uphill freeway on my commute at about 70 MPH (highway 280 south after 380 in SF). Flooring it in stealth actually freezes the speed at or below its current speed. The only way to accelerate is to put it manually into Sport mode (mine rarely goes into Sport on its own) until it cools down a bit (once the freeway flattens out). I checked with my dealer years ago about this issue and they think its a battery protection feature (keeps it from overheating). I now have 21k miles after 22 months and pretty much know all the quirks. The first few times it happed was a bit disconcerting, now its just a reminder I'm driving a Karma.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The ICE will comes on sometimes and then - at a few occasions - I might get into the problem with the loss of power. The HV level of charge doesn't matter. Today I had to disconnect the charger and drive before the car was fully charged. The ICE came on directly when I started the car and was on during the whole trip. All this time I experienced the "loss of power feeling", the car not responding accurately to the accelerator. I guess the problem will go away after a good nights sleep...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to let people know in case you are interested, that the car healed itself with the help of a good nights sleep. I think its prudent Karma practice to avoid interupting the the charging process.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Guys, now the ICE will not come off despite HV not depleted. The car does not charge the HV battery, instead the ICE comes on directly when I start the car and is on during the whole trip. I also get the old problem with loss of power. Feels like something wrong with the "throttle" because the car does not respond accurately to acceleration. The problem stays despite soft resets. What to do? Hard reset? Run out of gas and see what happens? Have someone read codes?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
You need to get the car to a dealer and have them check for codes you have so much going on hard to say what's going on. If you do a hard reset any codes stored will be erased

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, the car has been with dealer now for quite some time. They now say that the HV battery is defect or needs repair. Are there batteries available? at what cost? Who repairs batteries? What is the status?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts