Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The small panel on the back of the car is lifting away. Not serious or the end of the world but wondering if anybody had a similar issue and how they might have handled it. I would guess some molding tape might work but thought I should ask first. I have included a couple of pictures for clarity. Thanks

[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have tried to push it back into place but it doesn't stay for very long. It doesn't get any worse each time but I would say the panel is about an inch from where it needs to be. The matching panel on the driver's side has no issues.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
It's held on by double sided sticky tape. I've repaired this issue a number of ways, including new tape, dumdum, gorilla glue, etc. You don't have to take the bumper off, just use a plastic tool to pry the bumper away a bit then slip whatever fix of choice in there. I then use clamps to squeeze the bumper back on and hold it while the glue sets or whatever you used. A folded rag or cloth will protect the bumper from the clamp.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Lormax, I have to ask...

Besides prototypes that were never meant to be driven, are there any other cars on earth that are put together with double sided sticky tape?
The tape is used as a shim so to speak to allow for that portion of the bumper to sit flush with other panels. The car is put together with fasteners etc but double sided tape is commonly used as a way for non body shops to align panels without the use of specialized tools or grinding. That part of the bumper is not load bearing and the tape is merely a cosmetic aid to align that part of the bumper with the rest of the panels. Mazda, Lamborghini and Ferrari as well as others use this strategy on most of their cars.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Lormax, I have to ask...

Besides prototypes that were never meant to be driven, are there any other cars on earth that are put together with double sided sticky tape?
Butyl tape is very popular among all car manufactures . Most outside trim moldings are held on by tape

1 - 7 of 7 Posts