Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have completed an exhaustive amount of research, and have narrowed my search down to two vehicles. I am looking for some feedback to help me with my final decision.

Car # 1- Eco Chic Earth/earth tri tone- New car never been titled Vin # 1467- car has all recall updates, however, does not have green dot on motors. Car has 642 miles. Still awaiting information on RDM Serial number to verify if hardened splines. Car still qualifies for $7,500 tax rebate.

Car # 2- Eco Chic Laguna Blue with Strut package. Vin # 2615 Car has 12,800 miles and has been serviced by Lormax, to include rebuilt motors.

Lormax will be performing buyers inspection on the final choice.

All input and opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I have VIN #1466 , and is an Earth/Earth as well. I purchased it in March 2012. I have 16k plus miles with no green marks, and RDM has not had any issues. I had an HV battery module replaced by Lormax a few thousand miles ago, and now another one is going bad. These modules are a few grand a piece to replace, so you might give that some thought. Lormax will be able to tell you if there are suspect modules in the car of your choice. I love my Karma, especially the color combo, but that Laguna would be a high second choice.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I have VIN #1466 , and is an Earth/Earth as well. I purchased it in March 2012. I have 16k plus miles with no green marks, and RDM has not had any issues. I had an HV battery module replaced by Lormax a few thousand miles ago, and now another one is going bad. These modules are a few grand a piece to replace, so you might give that some thought. Lormax will be able to tell you if there are suspect modules in the car of your choice. I love my Karma, especially the color combo, but that Laguna would be a high second choice.
Just because a module isn't showing bad the day a battery is checked out doesn't mean a module can't go bad the next day or week or a few months . I would be curious what module was replaced a few months a go and what one is showing bad now . As far as RDM and traction motor problems we are finding more failures in areas that have more hills than areas that have basically flat roads . Also traction motors with or without green marks can have harden splines you really need to serial numbers of those parts .

·
Registered
886 Posts
As far as RDM and traction motor problems we are finding more failures in areas that have more hills than areas that have basically flat roads .

I have no problems so far, but figured that parking up/down hill might force problems.

My car is parked slightly downhill and if I don't invoke the parking brake within the first 5 seconds after sending the car to sleep ('switch off'), I notice, that it rolls some cm (~2-5) forward, until it is hold by the motor/RDM whatsoever. It feels like being stopped by the force of the gearbox in other 'switched off' cars.
This might hurt the mechanics, as it is 'without control'.

If I invoke the parking brake immediately, it does not roll at all.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I'd consider those 2 cars polar opposites. One is a virgin, the other is a gussied up tart.

Imagine how many people have pawed that Strut show car? That's what I heard anyway...that it was a Strut show car (Lormax might be able to confirm)? If so, it was taken to all sorts of car events - shipped and driven and handled by countless people not to mention the general public. To me, the only thing going for that car is the color.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Why just these two cars? They both seem like there are better choices available - are they great prices or something?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I can't speak for Car #1 (VIN 1467), other than the pictures and info that were forwarded to me. Original exhaust, old revision battery. Low miles so nothing has had a chance to break.

Car #2 is a car I've seen since it showed up at the OC dealership. From the dealer's PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) to the oil changes, I've had my hands on this car. Strut took care of the car and did anything that needed to be done. We all know that the Laguna cars received all the latest parts. Mechanically, this car is sound. Cosmetically, that's up to your personal taste. If you don't like the Strut items, they can always be removed. If there's a better car for the same amount of $$, please post it.

@Harleyguy, module 1 was the first module swapped out in UFOJoe's car. I believe it's now module 6 or 8 acting up, but that's from memory. I don't have my notes and screenshots on the computer I'm on at the moment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have completed an exhaustive amount of research, and have narrowed my search down to two vehicles. I am looking for some feedback to help me with my final decision.

Car # 1- Eco Chic Earth/earth tri tone- New car never been titled Vin # 1467- car has all recall updates, however, does not have green dot on motors. Car has 642 miles. Still awaiting information on RDM Serial number to verify if hardened splines. Car still qualifies for $7,500 tax rebate.

Car # 2- Eco Chic Laguna Blue with Strut package. Vin # 2615 Car has 12,800 miles and has been serviced by Lormax, to include rebuilt motors.

Lormax will be performing buyers inspection on the final choice.

All input and opinions are greatly appreciated.
I believe I purchased the vehicle you chose in 1467. Just bought it last week. I bought it off the gentleman in Dallas who received it from you. It has been fantastic thus far. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I believe I purchased the vehicle you chose in 1467. Just bought it last week. I bought it off the gentleman in Dallas who received it from you. It has been fantastic thus far. Any info would be appreciated.
That post is three years old haven't seen that member since

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Hey, its my twin! I have 1466 which is also an Earth/Earth. I'm the original owner and have had to do the RDM, Elec motors, 3 modules, 2 mufflers, bushings, and now needs a coupler, hopefully these repairs have been completed. I have 36k miles. Good luck little brother!

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Hey, its my twin! I have 1466 which is also an Earth/Earth. I'm the original owner and have had to do the RDM, Elec motors, 3 modules, 2 mufflers, bushings, and now needs a coupler, hopefully these repairs have been completed. I have 36k miles. Good luck little brother!
And what no HVAC unit yet

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
And what no HVAC unit yet
regarding HVAC, in your opinion, is it better to use or not use the HVAC? In other words, does using it often make it more prone to failure? I'm here in SoCal and rarely use it because of our fair weather year round. Joe and PowerSource, please also chime in with your expert opinion regarding this question.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Old style vs New style hvac depends.. perhaps replaced a long time ago..
The new style units still available but they are essentially the same just are flashable vs old style.

IMO would not go to 53x.. many cars on 53x which can brick battery pack and cause other issues. I know of a few vehicles that have been on 530 for a while that have bricked the pack due to lack of battery balance.

HVAC is not a major concern but you do want a flashable unit.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
regarding HVAC, in your opinion, is it better to use or not use the HVAC? In other words, does using it often make it more prone to failure? I'm here in SoCal and rarely use it because of our fair weather year round. Joe and PowerSource, please also chime in with your expert opinion regarding this question.
The Ecu for the HVAC makes a difference the early vin cars couldn’t take upgraded software later vins can. The problem the HVAC units have is the DMM motors are looking for a certain position if they can’t find that position they continue looking for the set position that causes the screen to rip the screen is what let’s air come out of the vents upper lower or where you want . If the HVAC unit is replaced and still has the old style ecu the screen will rip again .
On another note I’ve seen repeat failure of the HVAC unit with a late style ecu

1 - 15 of 15 Posts