Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I can find the LED license plate light? The one that lights up the plate.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Hello everyone! Does anyone know where I can find the LED license plate light? The one that lights up the plate.
Mine went out and had to be replaced with a new one from Karma. I was told at the time that it is unique to the Karma.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
There are lights on the left and right-hand side of the license plate. My left-hand light cluster (three 'bulbs') have gone dim. Are they easily replaceable?

Simon

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
The issue is with the license plate illumination, rather than the trunk (I'm sure that'll be an issue at some point).

The left light cluster is dim and flickers (the right-hand side is fine).

I tried undoing the smaller lens screws but (without potentially damaging anything) the lens did not lift off so that I could see the LEDs themselves. Removing the larger outer screws just allowed the light unit to wobble inside the bumper, with no clear way of extracting the unit for replacement.

Is this a CSP-only replacement or can someone tell me how to get the old unit out, procure a replacement (maybe for just the LEDs themselves) and reinstall? These sorts of things should be DIY jobs, in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Simon

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
The issue is with the license plate illumination, rather than the trunk (I'm sure that'll be an issue at some point).

The left light cluster is dim and flickers (the right-hand side is fine).

I tried undoing the smaller lens screws but (without potentially damaging anything) the lens did not lift off so that I could see the LEDs themselves. Removing the larger outer screws just allowed the light unit to wobble inside the bumper, with no clear way of extracting the unit for replacement.

Is this a CSP-only replacement or can someone tell me how to get the old unit out, procure a replacement (maybe for just the LEDs themselves) and reinstall? These sorts of things should be DIY jobs, in my opinion.

Thoughts?

Simon
I had the same thing happen to me. I had to have my CSP, Pat's Garage, replace the light assembly. They had to order it from Karma Automotive.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I had to have my CSP, Pat's Garage, replace the light assembly. They had to order it from Karma Automotive.
So does that mean that replacing the light unit is so complex, it requires the CSP to do it?

Simon

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
So does that mean that replacing the light unit is so complex, it requires the CSP to do it?

Simon
No, replacing the light is easy. The problem is finding a replacement. It seems that it's unique to the Karma.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the same problem, the right one is dim. Asked FiskerPhilly about it and he said the rear bumper has to come off to replace it. Not a hard job, but it takes a while. Joe did my pass. airbag last week, but he's pretty swamped, so I told him to let me know when he can do it and I'll come over to get a look at his new place.
It's not quite as easy now as when they were right outside my office door, but the new digs look nice in the pictures.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
@MikeyDes - that's what I wanted to know; so you can't remove that plastic lens (even though there are small screws there) and replace the LED.

I do not like the idea of having to have the bumper removed just to change a lightbulb!

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
I managed to replace the license plate light assembly myself - it was very straightforward once Naz from Pat's Garage told me how to do it!

Naz provided the following pictures - basically you undo the larger outside screws, move the light assembly to the left (or right, depending on the lamp being replaced), maneuver the unit out of the hole and then disconnect the unit (you will need a small screwdriver to lift up a little red tab to disconnect. Reconnecting is the reverse procedure.

All credit to Naz at Pat's garage for this information - took me just a minute or two to replace the unit. Do bear in mind, you will need to source the replacement from your CSP.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Very helpful post, shrowell, thanks!

Could somebody please post the specs of bulbs/lamps that go into these assemblies so I can order them...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
You have to replace the complete unit, not individual bulbs. For that you need to order the part from Karma via your friendly CSP.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts