Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering if leaving the Karna plugged in for multiple days (say Sun thru Fri) is bad for the car/battery. Does the car effectively "disconnect" or stop the current flow once the battery is fully charged?

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
So I was wondering if leaving the Karna plugged in for multiple days (say Sun thru Fri) is bad for the car/battery. Does the car effectively "disconnect" or stop the current flow once the battery is fully charged?
My Blink charger records the last charging session. I start the car charging at midnight and if empty it will finish around 5:30am. What I have noticed is that it will wake up around 6:30am and charge for 0-3 minutes.

I guess that means the car shuts off charging when full and then periodically checks if it needs to start charging if the charge cord is plugged in.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if the included charger does that as well....

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
SoCalGuy said:
I wonder if the included charger does that as well....
I believe it is a function of the car, not the charger. In other words, when the charger is plugged in, it will charge so long as the car wants it to. The car has to be in control, since it alone knows the state of charge of the battery.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm convinced it doesn't damage the battery if you leave the car plugged-in all the time, as it simply stops charging when the battery is full. Fisker is actually advising customers to regularly leave it in for at least 24 hours, as this helps the battery.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The charger will shut down as the car gets full, so you can leave it plugged in for as long as you want.

As Dutch pointed out, I was told recently by my dealer that by leaving it charging for longer periods of time, it helps the battery get better at retaining more charge. That is, you will get better range results over time if you occasionally (once a month or so) leave it plugged in for a much longer period...like 24 hours. I was also told that the quality of the recharge is much better using the a higher-output charging unit, as that also conditions the battery in a way that it, over time, allows it to hold a better charge.

·
Registered
147 Posts
There was a thread around here just a few weeks ago (I can't seem to find it quickly) that said the opposite about recharging. It said the lower the output charging unit, the better for the battery in the long run. Basically saying that fast chargers are fine, but the faster the charger, the shorter the life span of the battery. Considering I'm a computer nerd but know absolutely nothing about batteries (except which end is the positive side...), I'd love to understand this better.

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
Dave, based on the chemisty of this battery, I would say your dealer is thinking about a different chemistry like NiMH. Just like NiCd's liked to be completely discharged before recharging them. Different chemistry so the thoughts do not hold true. As for 220v versus 110v, considering the onboard charger is 3.3kw and the battery can discharge at 180kw, I really don't think 220v versus 110v is going to make much of a difference for C rate damage, and I haven't read anything on charging time causing damage. Perhaps, the fact that 220v is putting more force behind the charge that it can better withstand some sort of backforce that the battery may produce makes it a better charge? I am not an electrical engineer, but I know there is some type of resistance to taking a charge, just like electric motors produce a back current of sorts. Regardless, I think most people are going to make the decision to go either 110v or 220v based on the turn around time that they need or want the car. Eventually, I would imagine all of use will use 110v at some point during the car's life because of the lack of availability of 220v

1 - 8 of 8 Posts