Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so the poll about the A/C was instructive: about 50% have experiences problems.

My next Karma question is:
if you have a 2-driver household,
and each driver has their own key fob,
and you used the menu to assign seat memory for each key...

Have you succeeded in getting the car to recognize the fob and change the seat settings when that fob is used?

Hope this makes sense. Our Bmw recognizes the fob and adjusts the seat to the position it was in the last time the fob was used. With the Karma I've been unable to replicate this - you always have to just adjust the seat with the buttons on its side (less of a pain than opening the menu, finding seat settings and selecting other programmed position).

Other than turning off air before turning off the car and charging (to prevent fan running during charging), this is my #2 pet peeve, and I'd like to know if anyone's been able to get it to work.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Normally only one driver here, but I set up the other key for the wife, and tested out the feature once, only to have it not work anyway. So, one data point matching yours.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
We have two programmed fobs, and although my spouse does not drive the Karma often (it's mine!), when he does the fob sets the seat and steering to his preferences. It does not set the mirrors though, they must be manually adjusted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The feature does work... but just like many features of the Karma... there is a bug.. or two..
It's a communication issue between the VCM and the CIU.
When you have two key fobs, each set to their own settings, the settings will be saved properly, there is no issues there.
Issue occurs when:
- Press unlock with key fob 1, the seats should adjust to key fob 1 setting after power up, after driving, let the vehicle go to sleep
- Press unlock with key fob 2, the seats WILL NOT adjust to key fob 2 setting after power up.
- Let the vehicle go to sleep again
- Press unlock with key fob 2 again, the seats WILL adjust to key fob 2 setting after power up

This was a issue with the way VCM/CIU saved the last seat memory state, and not able to refresh to the new state upon unlock.
Basically
VCM sees key fob 1 -> adjust setting to key fob 1 -> vehicle shuts down, remember last fob pressed = key fob 1 -> VCM sees key fob 2 pressed -> re-instate last key fob pressed state, which = key fob 1 (bug) -> when vehicle shuts down, remember last fob pressed = key fob 2
NEXT TIME the user presses "key fob 2" then VCM reinstates last key fob state, which now is correct to be key fob 2.
Problem occurs again when you switch key fob....

Basically if you switch key fob every time you start the car, you will NEVER get the correct memory seat. If you use the same key fob at least twice, the memory seat will be reinstated properly.

THEN lastly.. there is still the bug that sometimes all memory seat positions are wiped out. That is another bug all together.....

A bit confusing... but.. These were recorded bugs that hopefully will be addressed as well.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The feature does work... but just like many features of the Karma... there is a bug.. or two.. [big snip]
Basically if you switch key fob every time you start the car, you will NEVER get the correct memory seat. If you use the same key fob at least twice, the memory seat will be reinstated properly. [more snippage]
Yes, that would behave the way it did for my one (single) test.

Sounds like the fix could be as simple as changing the sequence of events (record correct key-fob index before taking "last value" to look up seat position), but given how complicated (and slow) the whole start-up sequence is, it's probably not actually that simple.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Then there is the bug where occasionally all defaults are lost which is most noticeable when you lock or unlock the car and the horn sounds when you set it to flash lights only. Not sure what causes this but it has occurred maybe for or five times over the past two years of daily use. Just a little annoying....

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The feature does work... but just like many features of the Karma... there is a bug.. or two..
It's a communication issue between the VCM and the CIU.
When you have two key fobs, each set to their own settings, the settings will be saved properly, there is no issues there.
Issue occurs when:
- Press unlock with key fob 1, the seats should adjust to key fob 1 setting after power up, after driving, let the vehicle go to sleep
- Press unlock with key fob 2, the seats WILL NOT adjust to key fob 2 setting after power up.
- Let the vehicle go to sleep again
- Press unlock with key fob 2 again, the seats WILL adjust to key fob 2 setting after power up

This was a issue with the way VCM/CIU saved the last seat memory state, and not able to refresh to the new state upon unlock.
Basically
VCM sees key fob 1 -> adjust setting to key fob 1 -> vehicle shuts down, remember last fob pressed = key fob 1 -> VCM sees key fob 2 pressed -> re-instate last key fob pressed state, which = key fob 1 (bug) -> when vehicle shuts down, remember last fob pressed = key fob 2
NEXT TIME the user presses "key fob 2" then VCM reinstates last key fob state, which now is correct to be key fob 2.
Problem occurs again when you switch key fob....
That seems to be the definitive answer and explanation. It seems even more complicated than just using the buttons to move the seat and mirrors. As you conclude, hopefully new ownership will address and fix software.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts