Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, my Karma won't charge. I have tried my plug in a few sockets. When it's solid green and ready to go I plug it into the car and hear the two standard clicks to say it's charging. Even the orange LED showing that it's charging lights up.

But the green lights on the charger don't show that its charging (just stays solid colour green) and the car hasn't charged in days.

My normal dealer has advised that they are NOT working on Karma's anymore here in Toronto until further notice.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
You needs to make sure you have ground .. Find outlet with good ground

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
typically when there is a ground issue with house plug, the red lights will flash a code on the charger or the charger will indicate this in some way depending on the brand.
solid green lights mean either full charge or charge contactor is not closed on the cars hv battery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine is doing the same thing, as of today. Sunday, all was well. I left it plugged up all day Monday, then when I went out today I found that it hadn't charged at all. The green lights are all on, and the orange light on the console comes on to show that it's charging, but that's all.

Worse, I now have a generic "check engine" light on. Turning the car off for a bit then turning it back on had no impact.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Update: the 4 green lights on the charger are rotating on mine, not solid. I don't know if I've done something to accidentally fix it, or if it was like this all along and I wasn't paying enough attention.

I'll check in a few hours to see if I've charged any. If not, I'll post back.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sorry for 3 in a row, but the system won't let me update after 10 minutes.

From 12:51am until 3:37am, I've gone from a remaining charge of 2 miles to 13 miles, so I guess it's working. I didn't change anything to make it work, though, so that makes me a little nervous.

BUT!!!

1. I still have the CEL on. Maybe that'll reset after I drive a few miles?

2. This time, I show that the GAS tank is empty! Like, totally empty, where I should have about 1/2 of a tank. I'm in a rural area with a locked garage (with an alarm), so I'm positive that the gas is actually there, but the system isn't registering it.

Again, I'm hoping this will reset after I drive a few miles?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The charging issue is what I described above, likely a contactor starting to fail inside the battery as when it doesn't work it posts a fault code and a check engine light. The telltale is typically when you plug it in, the lights on the charger scroll for a short time then stop and stay lit as if its full and you get in car the check engine light is on. As far as the fuel gauge reading dead empty, were you possibly trying to turn ignition on or accessory positionwith charger connected, as it will read 0 when this occurs.

·
Registered
913 Posts
As FiskerPhilly says, if the car is actually charging (or perhaps even just "connected to external power") when you attempt to start it up enough to read the battery and fuel gauges, the fuel gauge will always read "empty". (I've done this occasionally with mine to check on the charge-state when charging with the 120V "convenience charger" while on a trip.) This by itself won't trip the check-engine light later, though.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Another way to tell if you have a charging issue not related to the charger listen under the car when you plug the charger in you should hear the high voltage contactors close continue listening and within 25 to 45 seconds later you hear the contactors again you have a problem within the HV Battery . If you suspect it might be the charger find a public charge station and try charging the car there .

Let us know what happens also the check engine can be a by product of the car not charging due to a bad part .

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine seems to have fixed itself. After charging for 14 hours, it had gone from 2 miles to 45 (so it was SLOW, but still a charge). But the gas gauge went back to normal, and the CEL went off as soon as I started it.

I don't THINK that it was plugged in when the gas gauge showed empty, but I was pretty tired at that point, so it could have been an oversight on my part.

No idea what caused the CEL and lack of charge or what fixed it, which is by far the worst problem to have. This makes me worry that it will leave me stranded one day. But for now... I guess all is well?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Ahh, cant live life worryin if its gonna leave you stranded lol. Just keep drivin and keep an eye on it. The majority of these type of battery issues still allow you to drive and dont break down, just affects charging capabilities or range.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts