Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading a recent article about the Chevy Volt which has now lost close to 160lbs, and my experienve with another car forum where we had a sticky where members who lightened their cars kept a record (titanium lug nuts = 1.5lbs saved or changed your wheels over stock )

What can be done to help the fisker lose weight? (Besides the drivers) it always seemed to me the brakes and rotors are way tooo beefy (especially given regenerative breaking) but what do I know. (But would love to lower unsprung weight)

·
Premium Member
3,078 Posts
Fisker was working on this before they closed. From removing heat shields that are overkill and redesign wheel rim . When i went out to Fisker they had new rims that probably weighted half as much as the present ones.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Fisker was working on this before they closed. From removing heat shields that are overkill and redesign wheel rim . When i went out to Fisker they had new rims that probably weighted half as much as the present ones.
There are probably other opportunities as well, for example removing the solar panel and glass and putting in a composite or CF roof should save a few kilos.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I was hoping that with ownership of A123 under the Wx umbrella, they would be working to develop longer-range, yet lighter, battery systems. It's the battery weight above all else that makes this a 6000LB beast, so that's where the best opportunity for weight-loss lies.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read the battery only weighs about 600lbs ( that's only about 11%) - I bet the rotors each weigh 30lbs)

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Updating the electric motors , Generator and ICE with light material could lighten up the load, no?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
My tire dealer commented that the stock wheels were some of the heaviest rims he had ever lifted. Made me feel better since I struggled getting them back on the lugs when rotating the tires (convenience).

The question I have is: Let's say I went to after market rims 50% lighter. Does that translate "significantly" to range?

Anyone have experience in doing so? I like the stock rims look, and don't want to spend $2K for naught.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My tire dealer commented that the stock wheels were some of the heaviest rims he had ever lifted. Made me feel better since I struggled getting them back on the lugs when rotating the tires (convenience).

The question I have is: Let's say I went to after market rims 50% lighter. Does that translate "significantly" to range?

Anyone have experience in doing so? I like the stock rims look, and don't want to spend $2K for naught.
Unsprung mass (wheels, brakes, - anything not supported by the suspension) I have heard that losing 1lb is equal to 2lbs of static weight. I think losing weight gets better acceleration and better range.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Thanks asulil. I understand the concepts of lessening unsprung weight and its affect on a number of things. I guess there is no specific data on reducing the weight of the Fisker rims by % and the true resulting benefit.

Maybe a little hard to measure definitively without the use of a dyno-meter.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I think the car is actually fun to just drive slow. I came from a Panamera Turbo - at 3.3 sec 0-60 the Karma is the opposite of that.

It is like driving a U-boat and very relaxing. I think we will all wait until the next generation to see if there is speed like the P85d tesla

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.