Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Karma. It should be here next week. Can anyone tell what I should look for, like software updates, recalls, warning lights... etc. I really am a karma newbie and just want to be careful. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I like your approach - buy the car then worry about the details.

There is a sticky on buying tips. just read through that. then find a local CSP that can update your software.

Enjoy the car - they are very unique.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Love it for all it's ingenious ideas, all it's beauty, and all its quirks. Realize that only 2700 of them were made, and so we owners get to figure out all the problems and how best to handle them.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Be conscientious with how you treat it. Get into good habits like:

1. Always wait until the car goes to sleep (the pink likes on the PRND pyramid go out) before plugging it in. I do a quick walk around with Detail Spray cleaner looking for spots to clean while I wait. If you have the 520 software update, that's only 45 seconds. Older software is 2 minutes.

2. When you start the car, don't be in a rush. Get in, foot on brake, press start, then put on seat belt (to occupy a little time) and wait for the "boot process" to complete and all the dash shows you the amount of charge & gas and stops changing before you press Accept on the screen or try to put it in gear. Always unplug the car before you wake it up (which includes unlocking it).

3. Always use your parking brake before you take your foot off the brake in Park. It can help your splines last longer. (Supposedly a future software update will do this for you.)

These processes will prevent some of the possible (though sporadic) funny behaviors of the Karma like fans coming on while you charge, or the charger kicking off. (BTW if it's really hot, a cooling fan will come on while charging and that's normal.)

If the car does anything odd. Let it go to sleep, then open your door, and then try starting it again. If that doesn't fix it, there's a black plug on the passenger side wall under the hood that is the main 12v battery connector. Unplug that for 30 seconds and plug it back in (that's a hard reset). And, try again. If that doesn't fix it, you'll need a CSP.

Also, I recommend getting a OBDLink unit that bluetooths to your phone. The car can generate Check Engine Lights, and you can see the codes with the unit and clear them. A frequent issue is that the battery might have a cell that's acting weakly. That won't keep you from driving and enjoying most of your 50 stealth miles, but your Stealth miles might drop from 8 to 0 in about a block. This is annoying but not critical, and the dang CEL light will block your digital speedometer. It's nice to be able to clear some of these codes on your own and get the speedo back if the car keeps reporting the same codes and your light keeps coming on ... assuming you & your CSP know what the problem is and you are just waiting to fix it.

Search these forums. And, post a question if you don't find your problem already. Everybody is ready to help and give you their advice and experience. Listen closely to FiskerPhilly & Harleyguy. They're actual CSP's and they've been helping us all for years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I really appreciate all of your suggestions and will be studying all of the posts. I can't wait until I get it next week. One more question, I live in Seattle, is there anyone that can work on them?

·
Registered
829 Posts
You should also register with the official Karma Automotive (formerly Fisker) owners site for information from the manufacturer.

http://www.karmaautomotive.com/owners/

They have additional information including lists of CSP's (though this site is older and has more discussions). But, you'll hear about the warranty programs (the first of which expires on Jan 31, so if there is something wrong with your car, you're entitled to $2000 of paid expenses (assuming your car hasn't already had it). Get it looked at quick!

·
Registered
82 Posts
In addition to this forum, I would also recommend searching You Tube for Fisker video's. As a new car owner as well, I found them very helpful in learning about this unique car as others have stated.

To be able to qualify for the $2k benefits as stated above, you will need to register with Karma, provide and provide your purchase documents so they can transfer the title over in their system. It was a very simple task and the guy doing it, Hunter, was very helpful and responsive.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone on this forum. You guys are great. I really appreciate you for putting up with my questions. I have another one for you, I am looking for a home charging station. There a lot to choose from. Does anyone have any recommendations?

·
Registered
859 Posts
You also need to buy an OBDII scanner in case you get a CEL, which annoyingly replaces the digital speedometer readout. Many trouble codes are transient and are not serious.

A scanner will allow you to record any trouble codes and clear the CEL. Here is one for $15.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for your tips everyone. They were very helpful. I just bought a OBDII scanner and a ClipperCreek charger. Wow, there is a lot of info here. I wish that I had found "fiskerbuzz" earlier.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Spending $500 and getting a 220v charger at home is worth it. You'll get around 10 miles per hour added to your battery when you charge with 220.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts