Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive about 40 miles each way to work. It's mostly Texas Toll road at speeds in excess of 80mph. My employer is now providing up front parking with chargers setup. My shift is just over 12 hours.

Does this make sense with the Karma?

Greg in Texas

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I drive about 40 miles each way to work. It's mostly Texas Toll road at speeds in excess of 80mph. My employer is now providing up front parking with chargers setup. My shift is just over 12 hours.

Greg in Texas
Hi Greg. My Karma is a daily commuter, you should be fine. But if it's your only mode of transportation, I would recommend buying a new Karma Revero (same car) for the warranty. Especially since there are very few qualified Fisker mechanics nearby.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm an engineer and a gearhead. I have lots of tools and have worked on lots of toys from cars to computers. This would be 1 of 3 cars. Parts availability is a concern. I have not looked, but I assumed the new cars were 6 figure price tags?? I can't justify that. I was just wondering if I could justify having one of the best looking cars, since my employer will help keep it charged.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts

Greg in Texas

At those speeds, your battery will be depleted, 30 miles into your commute. You will likely be running on gas by the time you reach your destination. Any fuel cost savings may be offset by a costly repair which may occur if you don't do your due diligence prior to purchasing the vehicle. To do many of the major repairs/reworks you will likely need a lift and experience with axles/rear ends.

YMMV

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"At those speeds, your battery will be depleted, 30 miles into your commute."

this is what i was needing to find out... dissapointed. but, that's what i needed to know.

i want to find something sexy that gets good mileage at 90mph...

·
Registered
334 Posts
@gtex - I can't tell you the technical reason but my understanding is that electric cars don't get "good mileage" at high speeds. My Volt would usually do best at 55 mph, and any higher speeds than that burned the remaining charge at a progressively faster rate.

My question is, if your employer will pay for the charging when you get to work, then why wouldn't the Karma be OK as your daily driver? It sounds like you'd be using about 10 miles of gas in each direction. The Karma averages between 20-25 mpg when running the engine as a range extender. So worst case, you're using about 1 gallon of gas per day. So you could drive about 2 weeks on a full tank of gas if you start with a full charge each morning and fully re-charge at work.

So rough math would be about $60/month in gas for about 1,600 miles of work-related driving. With 20 gallons of gas used you'd be averaging 80 MPG between your electric miles and gas range-extended miles. Not bad IMHO.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I had a similar commute (45 Miles each way) for about 1.5 years, but the average speed here in SF is closer to 50 MPH. I could generally squeeze about 40 - 42 miles out of the battery at those speeds. The Karma is a great commuting car, it's comfortable and fun to drive, but if you are dead set against burning a little gas, then it may not work for you.

Bear in mind that Karma is a serial hybrid, which means that the car is always propelled by electrical motors, whether you are using the battery or the generator, and it feels and drives the same in both modes.

There is no EV that looks and drives like the Karma. The Model S, IMHO is pretty bland, and the other pure EV choices don't have enough EV range for your round-trip commute without charging (in case the charger at work is not working or unavailable one day).

Maybe a Tesla Roadster?

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree. Nothing even matches the Karma in terms of looks, but they're quirky and not for everyone. If you're a gear head and an engineer it is OK for you. I am one too and I do lots of things to it myself rather than go to the dealer. The model S Tesla is very very bland. If you watch Counting Cars on the History channel, that guy has done up a couple of Tesla S models at the request of their owners as they thought they were uncool to look at, whereas the Karma is more than cool. It is awesome to look at and to drive, but you will have issues (for certain) with its operability from time to time. Go for it!!!!. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I assumed the new cars were 6 figure price tags?? I can't justify that.
We have a Cadillac ELR as a company car. They don't have a lot of range, but it looks nice and has a great warranty. A used once will be in the mid 30K range. A 40 mile commute is about what the car travels each way. She is getting about 75mpg.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I had a similar commute (45 Miles each way) for about 1.5 years, but the average speed here in SF is closer to 50 MPH. I could generally squeeze about 40 - 42 miles out of the battery at those speeds. The Karma is a great commuting car, it's comfortable and fun to drive, but if you are dead set against burning a little gas, then it may not work for you.

Bear in mind that Karma is a serial hybrid, which means that the car is always propelled by electrical motors, whether you are using the battery or the generator, and it feels and drives the same in both modes.

There is no EV that looks and drives like the Karma. The Model S, IMHO is pretty bland, and the other pure EV choices don't have enough EV range for your round-trip commute without charging (in case the charger at work is not working or unavailable one day).

Maybe a Tesla Roadster?
My commute is 42 miles each way, but downhill to work, and uphill back. I can make it home on electric if I start with a full charge, stop to charge car and fuel my own self on the way home, and then resume driving on electric after adding at least 6 or 7 miles of range. Otherwise I burn a little bit of gasoline.

(I don't often make it all the way either way on electric, but still do manage roughly 100 mpg by charging at work lately.)

Other options include looking into PowerSource's battery upgrades, once those come out. The faster charge unit is out and would be nice but I don't really NEED it until I have more storage. At that point, I would really like to have 6.6 kW charging at work (3.3 kW is fine at home, I get 8 hours from 11 PM to 7 AM at the cheap rate, vs just a 2-to-4 hour charge time slot at work) and 40 kWh store-able in the battery....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my commute is about 30 miles at toll road speeds. so the remaining trip is at a more reasonable speed, probably something around 50mph average. it's the 30 miles at 80+mph that concerns me. I actually drive closer to 90mph, quite often. FYI, this toll road has a posted limit of 80mph. It's big, wide and smooth. I could feasibly run at 70mph, if that made a substantial difference on the battery.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The fisker cruises comfortably at those speeds, but it does pull more battery to push the car along at those speeds, just like a regular car. With the TOM module from Power Source in my car, I get mid 30 mpg on 400-600 mile road trips that are single or two day trips. Chances are if you did this commute, and went into ER (generating mode) after you burn thru battery initially, you will probably generate 10+ miles of battery in driving the last 20 miles, which means you can probably go back to pure battery for the last 5-7 miles of the trip, which means you are pure electric for close to 40 miles, and gas for only 10, which means you might burn 1/2-1 gallon each way.

·
Fisker#1016
50 Posts
Nothing yet compares to driving the Fisker Karma.
You could purchase a Certified Original Karma from Joe Ferrante if that is important to you.
On longer drives at speed I choose SPORT Mode which utilizes both EV and ICE and still gets great MPG.
Remember ELECTRICITY has to come from some source whether it be the ICE or coal plant.
I'd take advantage of the free charger and enjoy the ride!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts