1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I was reading through a lot of posts lately and enjoy the enthusiasm
folks have for the Karma. I was looking at Karmas for the longest time
and after talking to Lormax narrowed my search down to two.

Meanwhile, my company does Driving Simulators for the car industry, I put
together a Karma Sim to be enjoyed by all of you.

Reminder, it's not a game. It's based on real physics and has a damage model as well. I did not spend too much time with setting up the dynamics
simulation but may do so.

You need a PC. With a good (latest Nvidia) graphics card.
A wheel and pedals (if available) work the best. Games controllers work too. And keyboard controls ... well.

Shift+r repairs the car (Body and suspension damage)
RETURN turns the car back on its wheels after you flipped it.
F1 inside camera (Not accurate model)
F2 Follow Camera

Again it's a sim not a game so watch your speed. Again it's for free, so no complains (its better the nothing).:)

here is the download link, unzip and run.

https://www.wetransfer.com/download...8e386399c80f6e83c88f404720130711194913/3e7c54

Enjoy,

Hans

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Hi there,

I was reading through a lot of posts lately and enjoy the enthusiasm
folks have for the Karma. I was looking at Karmas for the longest time
and after talking to Lormax narrowed my search down to two.

Meanwhile, my company does Driving Simulators for the car industry, I put
together a Karma Sim to be enjoyed by all of you.

Reminder, it's not a game. It's based on real physics and has a damage model as well. I did not spend too much time with setting up the dynamics
simulation but may do so.

You need a PC. With a good (latest Nvidia) graphics card.
A wheel and pedals (if available) work the best. Games controllers work too. And keyboard controls ... well.

Shift+r repairs the car (Body and suspension damage)
RETURN turns the car back on its wheels after you flipped it.
F1 inside camera (Not accurate model)
F2 Follow Camera

Again it's a sim not a game so watch your speed. Again it's for free, so no complains (its better the nothing).:)

here is the download link, unzip and run.

https://www.wetransfer.com/download...8e386399c80f6e83c88f404720130711194913/3e7c54

Enjoy,

Hans
Thanks for posting this. Can you tell us a bit more about your company and any other software products you have?

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Very cool - did you build the 3D model yourself? Some of us were hoping for a 3D model we could use to send to a 3D printer/rapid prototyper to have a desktop model of the Karma.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Amazing and welcome to the forum.

I love to get new gadgets and accessories for a platform which was called to be dead a few threads and hours ago :)

I'm really interested in what you/ your company is doing. It must be all professional, when you only have had to invest little time, having this results. Thanks for sharing this.

Now the question, you were waiting for:
1. Would it be possible to get shadow with all black interior?
2. Are you working on a real world Shift+r ?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
535 Posts
Very cool - did you build the 3D model yourself? Some of us were hoping for a 3D model we could use to send to a 3D printer/rapid prototyper to have a desktop model of the Karma.
Not sure if this came up elsewhere, but Matchbox has a 2012 Karma in black individual in stores now for $0.99 (I picked up 2 at target), and there is a white model sold in a 5-pack. My kids are happy to see me share their enthusiasm in the toy aisle!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Not sure if this came up elsewhere, but Matchbox has a 2012 Karma in black individual in stores now for $0.99 (I picked up 2 at target), and there is a white model sold in a 5-pack. My kids are happy to see me share their enthusiasm in the toy aisle!
Yep - I have a dozen or so of them. Want something a bit bigger, like this:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone and I hope you guys enjoy it. To answer your question sweet and short.

I was a Mechanical Engineer at Mercedes Benz in Stuttgart (Hallo Stefan!). Engine Development. Quit in the early 90 and started my own company producing Computer Graphics commercials . Did lots of commercials a movie over there and then moved to San Francisco (Hi Fab!) and worked on about 14 Movies or so at ILM (George Lucas. Yes I worked on Star Wars). Most of the work was simulations of fluid dynamics (Perfect Storm, Master and Commander) quit there and started my own VFX company, produced VFX for more movies and developed software to sim gigantic oceans.

At the same time we serve the car industry with driving simulators specifically designed for their needs and test tracks. They have their engineers do training on them so they don't kill them self driving at high speed or in unknown terrain. We make them with 18 wheeler setups, Busses, SUV's, four doors, super cars, hyper cars like the Pagani.

-The version I uploaded is our own "Generic" test track to dial in car setups and appearance of the cars. after that they get dropped into the clients version.

-The Landscape was created procedurally using fractal algorithms and erosion simulations. Sounds more complicated then it actually is. You can watch the process and it's like cooking.

- Yes we model our own cars to spec. The Karma was actually done four years ago for a commercial we offered to do for free for Fisker (I liked the concept of the car. thought it would be nice to support such a small car manufacturer. but their marketing team... somehow dropped the ball). So we didn't spend more time (you may notice the interior is generic) and money.

-I think the model can be converted to a printable file. It's a Maya file and can be converted to pretty much everything.

-I can compile your a version of your color combo and send you the link for download of the sim. If you want I can put your License Plate on it too.

- Because we have software guys (They write and hack you everything from motronic updates to fliud dynamic simulators to realtime car physic simulations running on the Nividia GPUs) and graphics folks at hand, we can do pretty much anything.. computer.
Would love to look at 510 source code and get a rundown on upload procedure lormax or harley going through. Would like to figure out whats going on with owners not getting the full power out of the motors. As soon as I decide which one I finally go for, I will look into this.

-I readout my BMW's OBD II via bluetooth with my Android phone while driving. I even used the data to fight a speeding ticked. Anyhow, It's just software and there is always a way. You just need to find the info to get started.

Well, there you go.

And again enjoy your car, it's a piece of art like no other.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Hansu, you have my contact info. Give me a call sometime, we can figure something out for what you need.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Would love to look at 510 source code ...

-I readout my BMW's OBD II via bluetooth with my Android phone while driving....
(1) Me too.

(2) Wow. Is it typical for the car's data to be accessible over bluetooth like that? On the Karma, there's the OBD II port, which apparently is directly on a CAN bus (but I have no idea which one). I have no idea how the Fisker software update tools work, if they talk "through" the CIU to the rest of the various programmable modules for instance.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lormax,

will do as soon I have one. Have to get into the system to see how its all setup and that requires to have a car at hand. So thanks, I'll let you know. Well, you will know because of the RDM fix , lol.

·
Registered
483 Posts
(1) Me too.

(2) Wow. Is it typical for the car's data to be accessible over bluetooth like that? On the Karma, there's the OBD II port, which apparently is directly on a CAN bus (but I have no idea which one). I have no idea how the Fisker software update tools work, if they talk "through" the CIU to the rest of the various programmable modules for instance.
Everything is available over the CAN bus. Think of the OBD2 connector as a tap into a pipeline of communication, you just need to know how to convert/interpret the messages.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@ct-fiskerbuzz

something we will figure out.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Adding to 8AVGMPG:

Thats the nice part about new cars tech. In the old days you had to smell and listen and take the the whole engine apart and take a 3 day shower after. Today you readout anything about your car on your smartphone with graphical display and data logging and even GPS mapping on google earth while sipping your carmel latte at pete's. What took a truck or two full of computers at the track is been done today on your samsung or whatever smartphone you have. Telemetry data logging in your pocket.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Everything is available over the CAN bus. Think of the OBD2 connector as a tap into a pipeline of communication, you just need to know how to convert/interpret the messages.
Yes, CAN is fundamentally a broadcast medium (like cable-TV cable) ... but there's more than one CAN bus, isn't there? I think one of the embedded-system boards I had a passing glance at, aimed at the automotive market, had four separate CAN buses coming out of it. Also some cars are using MOST now since CAN is not so good for the "infotainment systems" traffic.

It's hard to make block diagrams on the web site, but consider this really simple setup:

(CAN bus 1) === switch === (CAN bus 2)

where "switch" is a device that selectively passes traffic between the two CAN buses. Physically connecting a reader to CAN bus 1 gives you access to everything on that bus, of course; but you can only see traffic that was copied from bus#2 by the switch device.

In order to understand how to get data out of the Karma (and what to get from where), you need not only a decoder for the various messages on the bus you're on, but also information about the topology of any switched networks and how to transmit and receive data across those switches.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ct-fiskerbuzz

Like I said earlier, I'm new to the karma and have yet to get my own (hopefully next week). Big Fan. To get the most out of tapping into the car you naturally need to understand how the Karma is setup. I don't know what's used but I guess I will find out with the help of others. It's fun to push the X5 4.4 to 35 MPG/freeway when you understand what you do wrong after you read the data log.

So, we will see.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
@CT

so, the Karma uses CAN. Do you have any info on the CIU? OS? Hardware?
Btw, the Gentleman in charge at Fisker for all of this (CAN, OBD II, CIU) used to be
the wiring engineer for the Jeep Grand Cherokee/Liberty/Commander.

anyone has his contact?

·
Registered
913 Posts
I have basically nothing on what's in it, just what I've been able to eke out here and in other published and/or leaked bits. I've heard it claimed that Visteon (supposedly the CIU supplier) was using Linux, and if they're using pulseaudio that would explain the occasion bit of skipping in the ipod sound, Linux's pulseaudio does that....

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Hansu welcome! Glad to have you and your skillset onboard! Regarding the free commercial, thankfully most of that management regime is gone - Marti ran that marketing group like she had a huge GM style budget and it showed. PM me your contact info and perhaps there's an opp for something in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Yes, CAN is fundamentally a broadcast medium (like cable-TV cable) ... but there's more than one CAN bus, isn't there? I think one of the embedded-system boards I had a passing glance at, aimed at the automotive market, had four separate CAN buses coming out of it. Also some cars are using MOST now since CAN is not so good for the "infotainment systems" traffic.

It's hard to make block diagrams on the web site, but consider this really simple setup:

(CAN bus 1) === switch === (CAN bus 2)

where "switch" is a device that selectively passes traffic between the two CAN buses. Physically connecting a reader to CAN bus 1 gives you access to everything on that bus, of course; but you can only see traffic that was copied from bus#2 by the switch device.

In order to understand how to get data out of the Karma (and what to get from where), you need not only a decoder for the various messages on the bus you're on, but also information about the topology of any switched networks and how to transmit and receive data across those switches.
I'm familiar with CAN networks on the Karma I just made that post as general as possible. There karma utilizes 4 500kbps CAN buses, 1 LIN network, 1 J1850, and 1 GMLAN network which are all available through the OBD2 port.

The touch panel and CIU uses an APIX cable for data transfer between the two modules.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
@ct
Thanks for the lead. I grow up on unix.

@SoCalGuy
Thanks for the kind words. But as my Grandpa used to say "I know something about everything and nothing in particular". I just know where to look and who to ask.
Regarding the Commercial. I remember my Biz-Dev Lady coming into my office rolling her eyes shaking her head.
PM send to you.

@8AVGMPG

Do you have any documentation available down the road?

Here is my thinking. I do not plan to provide software development for the Karma at all.
Liability would be a major reason not to, but I'm curious to look into fixing those little bugs and or even upgrade things like nav software or audio or even graphics. Don't get me wrong, I do like what I see but the navigation could use an upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts