Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any interest in a clear roof to replace the solar panel? Makes the cabin a lot more airy and less claustrophobic. If there is enough interest we will also offer a sunshade (similar to Model S). Will be doing this to my own car so I can produce a few more if people are interested. This is the closest you will get to a Sunset!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
relatively complicated swap, we can supply the panel and you can get the headliner wrapping done on your own or we can provide it all. Depends on what you want done as well as your interior color combination.

I am doing this to my personal car and will likely go with a black headliner setup instead of the stock economy gray (poor fitting IMO) currently in the car. Very excited about this and will likely offer only a few roof panels. The interior looks that much more beautiful with this roof.

Pictured is a Canyon headliner setup. My dream Karma is an White EC Earth and if I find one this is the roof setup that will go in it.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to have a clear roof with the solar panels?
You could do a roll-able solar panel that doubles as a sun shade underneath the clear roof. There are a bunch of companies that make this type of panel, we haven't researched them much.

We were thinking about doing three fixed opaque solar panels one at the front windshield threshold, middle b pillar cross beam and c pillar rear boot threshold piece. This would be good for about 75w+

Forgot to mention in the previous post, one added benefit with the clear roof is that the roof ditch moldings will be changed out and it will be possible to have a threaded insert to allow for cross bars and the capability to use a roof rack and/or attachments.

·
Registered
264 Posts
if I didn't have signature edition I would do this mod. It looks great.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Really? The solar panel roof is one of the most popular features that people comment on when I show my car. (And, the cooling fan it supports is nearly essential where I live, but I recognize that wouldn't be universally true.)

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if I didn't have signature edition I would do this mod. It looks great.
Have a Sig too as my daily and I will probably be buried in that Karma. Absolutely love it. @Fabulist convinced me not to change the panel on the Sig but I have a few other candidates like an eclipse, deep ocean, shadow, silver wind and some others, but if going all out will probably do it on a different build where I am content on all aspects of it- hence the White Sand/Earth combo.

Good reason to pickup another Karma like many other members have like @SoCalGuy :) The Karma is the best all around "road feel" car in this class and I don't think any OEM in this range uses the same type of steering setup Hydraulically Assisted Power Steering (Rack and Pinion). Most are going to pure electric assist which I think feels horrible. Would be curious if the New Karma is going to pure Electric PS or is sticking with the same system? Maybe someone can find out and post here? I digress.

We will keep pushing forward modifications to improve the classic Karma and if/when the new Karma is launched we will integrate high demand improvements from that vehicle into the 2012 vehicles for all to enjoy. If demand warrants.

Really? The solar panel roof is one of the most popular features that people comment on when I show my car. (And, the cooling fan it supports is nearly essential where I live, but I recognize that wouldn't be universally true.)
The solar panel powers a cabin fan that really doesn't cool but circulates cabin air. This can be done without the large panel. Like most of the car it is mostly for looks rather than usefulness. A smaller panel could power the fan via SPBC without the need for such a large one. Mainly a design feature. The three panel design referenced above accomplishes the same task as the current opaque contiguous panel. Why not have your cake and eat it too?

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Looks great. I have one similar in my Audi Q7 -- Full panoramic roof with electric sun shade. In seven years, I have opened the sun shade couple of times at night. I have never driven with the pano roof open. Fortunately, it was no additional cost. Unfortunately its drain system cause some early problems with water getting in the electronics -- it was a service bulletin to change the hose connection, so covered in warranty.

I whether the solar panel is efficient or not, it's a great conversation piece. The cost of making it and buying it is now "sunk". Nice as the replacement looks, I will keep my Karma as is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any interest in a clear roof to replace the solar panel? Makes the cabin a lot more airy and less claustrophobic. If there is enough interest we will also offer a sunshade (similar to Model S). Will be doing this to my own car so I can produce a few more if people are interested. This is the closest you will get to a Sunset!
Do you also have a outside pic of the car? Showing how the roof looks on it...
Tx

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
I'd be interested, after I see prices and what it would look like. If it's a clear non tinted piece of glass it will cause a lot of heat, sun burn, and possible fade damage over time to interior.

Do you have details on the UV and tint protection? Would it open?

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
My Karma is so beautiful, I didn't think I would ever consider a modification. But the one area I've thought was a "miss" is that the solar panel isn't clear, or at least translucent - and now there is the possibility to fix that. As much as the solar panel is (still!) a conversation piece, I would enjoy driving with a clear roof.

I'll be watching for pictures and price. In my case, I would need the complete installation, not a do-it-yourself kit.

How will this modification impact the extended warranty?

·
Registered
829 Posts
You must live somewhere relatively cool, EVER1. I live in Phoenix -- where you can't consider driving a convertible with the top down in the day from May thru Oct. The biggest thing that would keep me from EVER (no pun intended) thinking about a Model X is all the glass overhead of the driver that they put in. When it's 120 degrees out here, I find the solar panels absorbing and diverting all that energy into something other than heat is fantabulous!

And philosophically, it just hits people right as a "totally sensible thing to do with the roof of an electric car" whenever I show mine. Glad to hear the new Karmas will be twice as efficient.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes we have the prototype but there is not much demand for it seemingly.. We can snap a few more photos if you would like to see it. We will probably make a run of 10 roofs or so.. You will need to remove the headliner and replace it.

Best case is to get the glass roof and take your car to a local upholsterer to get the custom pieces made. Would do a dynamat then foam backing with the headliner color of your choice. Our custom is in an orange color (personally preference I really love the Surf and was hoping that would be the first production car Karma made as I would then buy it and re-badge it as a Fisker Surf, but I digress) that is the color we did for the headliner. Any competent shop could create those pieces to cover the various threshold pieces in a color of your choice. I think a dark headliner would look pretty decent, depending on your interior color.

Anyways, I am out of town but will be back in CA where the prototypes are kept in a few days and will snap some photos.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes we have the prototype but there is not much demand for it seemingly.. We can snap a few more photos if you would like to see it. We will probably make a run of 10 roofs or so.. You will need to remove the headliner and replace it.

Best case is to get the glass roof and take your car to a local upholsterer to get the custom pieces made. Would do a dynamat then foam backing with the headliner color of your choice. Our custom is in an orange color (personally preference I really love the Surf and was hoping that would be the first production car Karma made as I would then buy it and re-badge it as a Fisker Surf, but I digress) that is the color we did for the headliner. Any competent shop could create those pieces to cover the various threshold pieces in a color of your choice. I think a dark headliner would look pretty decent, depending on your interior color.

Anyways, I am out of town but will be back in CA where the prototypes are kept in a few days and will snap some photos.
So where does this stand. I would love to see the additional pics.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
we literally have one person that is interested in this upgrade which would not make sense to produce. We have our prototype and it will likely just be that. Will take photos of it when I get a chance but we will likely not be producing these roofs for sale due to lack of demand. Hopefully that clears up any questions.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bummer. I would pay a lot of $$$ for this
Here is another photo... in the original post there were several photos that Fiskerbuzz claims were modified aka deleted by me (I do not recall deleting them nearly 15 mos later- did not even know it was possible to delete in that time length) regardless we will be migrating all communication off this forum and to our mailing list and our own forum. To close the loop on this here is an exterior photo of the glass roof and exterior pics.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts