Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Stephen Dycus at Karma Automotive in Costa Mesa, CA., due to having 5 of the battery modules failing and stranding my car to where even the ICE can't run due to the variable electrical flow. After discussing the fact that this repair is to cost $20K and the possible failure of other components in the near future, I am asked to sink 20% of the original cars cost back into my car after after only 5 years. The conversation with Stephen progressed with his saying it was an unreasonable cost but it is out of their control but they wanted to reassure me they were there and had confirmed the issue with Frank Kent in Dallas. I do not know why they wanted to "hold my hand and tell me yes this is expensive" since they are owned by the same company that built the original battery pack with the known failure. I would have to say I am disappointed in the process because the battery pack was known to fail and they were to replace them but as far as I am aware, only a few of the produced cars had their battery packs replaced. I am not sure what to do with the vehicle and would like recommendations from the group here. I guess at roughly $25K/year to own the Karma sport, it is a lesson in frustration and disappointment. At this point I do not think I could ever recommend anyone pursue getting a Karma since it not worth putting continued yearly maintenance of extreme costs. Any suggestions from my fellow original Karma owners or even the second owners of these pretty but failed cars. I would have hoped Karma Automotive would have at least done a 50% discount in the battery pack, given original issues and being an original owner. I could have seen giving the Revero a space in the garage, to have both the original and the next generation but now I can't see doing that when there is so little direct support.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
What software version are you on? If 530, it is a well known fact that Karma removed battery balancing in that revision which could cause the bricking of cells and modules. They later quietly added it back in with 535. If you were at any time on version 530 you should contact NHTSA and/or an attorney because Karma released software that could have bricked your pack. Battery balancing is essential to the health of the pack and if there is significant voltage deviation; the modules will become unrecoverable.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can ask the service department at Frank Kent what software version. I did not know to ask but they did upgrade my software which never worked because the car continued to never place presets in after the upgrade. The whole infotainment system would be like new without any presets every time I would restart the car. Since the car is with Frank Kent, I can't check myself if there was a way to check.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I can ask the service department at Frank Kent what software version. I did not know to ask but they did upgrade my software which never worked because the car continued to never place presets in after the upgrade. The whole infotainment system would be like new without any presets every time I would restart the car. Since the car is with Frank Kent, I can't check myself if there was a way to check.
There is no surefire end-user way to check if you are on 530 or 535 without the scantool. If you have paperwork or dates from your service visits perhaps that would be the best way to determine what rev you are on.

According to this thread, BL530 first became available on or around 2/26/2016

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/14-fisker-lounge/26377-bl530-now-available.html

I am not sure when 535 was released but I think it was at least 3 months later. Even a month without charge balancing can take a weak module out. So with these rough dates, hopefully you can find out if it was an issue caused by BL530 or just bad luck. The delta between the BL530 update and the BL535 update would be the amount of time that charge balancing was disabled on the vehicle- which could cause significant unrecoverable damage to the HV battery system. YMMV

·
Registered
536 Posts
PowerSource: can you direct smithles to any news on your replacement battery beta? Not sure where that project stands, but this would be the right place for an update maybe? Luckily my battery is still good, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you guys are going to have a superior replacement when the time comes...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts