Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone looked into or attempted to upgrade the Fisker "Premium" sound system? I would like to improve the sound quality, perhaps by upgrading the speakers. Any suggestions/past experience would be welcome! Thank you.

·
Registered
546 Posts
You know...when I first got my Karma, I considered posting about what I thought was a really, really, *really* poor quality audio system. But as the weeks have passed, it doesn't bother me quite so much anymore. I don't know if my ears have grown accustomed to it, or if it just took some time for the speakers to break in.

Having said that, I still don't really like listening to complex electronica in the Karma. Simpler arrangements, particularly folky pop (like Mumford & Sons) or country sounds just fine. I'd be curious to know if you've noticed certain genres of music sound better than others.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I'm very disappointed with the audio system - its by Visteon (makers of the Karma's command center and headlights). Frankly, the premium audio in an Audi Q5 (for example) sounds better.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I have to disagree with both of the last posts, I have a 2012 Audi S5 with the premium B & O Audio system and find it sub par to my Karma's system.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I also had the premium B&O system in my R8 and agree with UFO Joe, the Fisker system sounds better. To each his own!

Happy Holidays!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I also had the premium B&O system in my R8 and agree with UFO Joe, the Fisker system sounds better. To each his own!

Happy Holidays!
Wonder if the use of Bluetooth initially damaged the speakers - there was a lot of crackling and noise blast when switching between Bluetooth and radio in the early days.

What I notice most is that the music doesn't appear omnidirectional - I can sense it's coming from a specific speaker. Also the higher end notes (like symbols or vocal tracks) seem muddled. Bass response is good but that's about it.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Wonder if the use of Bluetooth initially damaged the speakers - there was a lot of crackling and noise blast when switching between Bluetooth and radio in the early days.

What I notice most is that the music doesn't appear omnidirectional - I can sense it's coming from a specific speaker. Also the higher end notes (like symbols or vocal tracks) seem muddled. Bass response is good but that's about it.
I doubt the Bluetooth had that big of impact but just for kicks next time your at the dealer ask them to listen to one of the cars they have in stock more then likely they have the latest software and weren't on the road so they shouldn't of had the Bluetooth issue speakers should still be brand new .

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
I actually thought the sound quality in the Fisker was excellent. My wife has the Lincoln MKX with the hi end system and I think the Karma is superior. I hear lots of little audio nuances that I never noticed before while in a car....maybe it just because the car is so quite :)

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually thought the sound quality in the Fisker was excellent. My wife has the Lincoln MKX with the hi end system and I think the Karma is superior. I hear lots of little audio nuances that I never noticed before while in a car....maybe it just because the car is so quite :)
How did you travel forward in time to have your car placed into service?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
good catch ! I should fix that :)

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I brought my car to Audio Creations here in Boca Raton Florida re: upgrading the speakers and adding an amplifier. Since mine is the 1st Fisker at this shop, They decided to do some research before presenting options and an estimate. I will keep you updated. Frankly I'm surprised to be the first to do any audio modifications on a Karma.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Eric, keep us posted about your findings. It is clear that in order to improve the sound you cannot use an amplifier that comes with the car, rather use is as pre-amp and then put decent amp someplace - most likely in the trunk. That will reduce its capacity and now you have to run fairly thick speaker wires from the back of the car to the front. I think most of us are afraid that once we start digging, some other stuff might stop working :)

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Your point is well taken. They hard wired my radar detector to the 12 volt system. They had to contact Fisker to find out how. But, it was a success without causing any problems. They will do their research before placing the amp in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
I would be very carefull who I would let work on my Karma if they had to call Fisker on how to hard wire a radar detector into your car considering that only is a hot lead and a ground. I also wonder who they actually called a dealer or Fisker corp . Piggybacking an after market amp into the Karma's CIU isn't as cut and dry as they may think.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far it seems like no one has had any modifications of this kind performed. I was hoping for feedback. As a result there are few if any audio facilities that have ever worked on a Fisker, even to hardwire a RD. It would have been foolish of them not to seek advise. I am not going to rush into anything.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Do you think Cee Lo Green has standard audio in his Karma? You might want to give Fisker Atlanta a call...

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just a question.... have you set the tone controls to your liking? It is the "tuning fork" in the sound module. I find the Fisker has great sound, but I set the balance, tone, bass and treble to my preference. Happy New Year.

·
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just a question.... have you set the tone controls to your liking? It is the "tuning fork" in the sound module. I find the Fisker has great sound, but I set the balance, tone, bass and treble to my preference. Happy New Year.
Happy New Year. I already did the adjustments. It helped only a little. Who is Cee Lo Green?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts