Fisker Buzz Forums banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Well I think this would be an LS9 with an auto but I'm sure the transmission could be any compatible one the mechanic can find. I wonder if any experienced engine swap shop could do a swap like this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The swap is the easiest thing of this all. The issue is the integration with all the vehicles systems

VCM, DIS etc.. you need to be able to control all the functions of the vehicle which all rely on the body controller and the CAN messages that are sent to it. Only way to do it without integrating with any of the components in the vehicle is to strip down the Karma and install parts off a donor GM vehicle (i.e seat controllers, cluster, body controller etc). The VCM essentially controls most of the vehicle functions; while it is possible there is much more than just swapping out parts (i.e. integration work). So.. best way is to buy a donor car with what you want and swap it all over and do not expect to re-use anything from the karma except for most of the non electronics parts (i.e. carpet, headliner dash etc.)

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
The swap is the easiest thing of this all. The issue is the integration with all the vehicles systems

VCM, DIS etc.. you need to be able to control all the functions of the vehicle which all rely on the body controller and the CAN messages that are sent to it. Only way to do it without integrating with any of the components in the vehicle is to strip down the Karma and install parts off a donor GM vehicle (i.e seat controllers, cluster, body controller etc). The VCM essentially controls most of the vehicle functions; while it is possible there is much more than just swapping out parts (i.e. integration work). So.. best way is to buy a donor car with what you want and swap it all over and do not expect to re-use anything from the karma except for most of the non electronics parts (i.e. carpet, headliner dash etc.)
is that what they did with the destino ?

·
1,172 Posts
is that what they did with the destino ?
From what I heard I think they actually paid Lear, MTA etc to write custom software for the Destino- so that it would work with the engine swap and Karma components. I am not sure what exactly works the same and what was replaced on the Destino. Joe could probably answer it better since he has seen one up close

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
From what I heard I think they actually paid Lear, MTA etc to write custom software for the Destino- so that it would work with the engine swap and Karma components. I am not sure what exactly works the same and what was replaced on the Destino. Joe could probably answer it better since he has seen one up close

Thx

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm guessing this custom software isn't and won't be available to us laymen?

·
1,172 Posts
I'm guessing this custom software isn't and won't be available to us laymen?
That is a question for Henrik and VLF. I think it would be smart of them to sell a builders kit for the destino rather than sell retrofitted cars. I bet they would sell a lot more of the kits than complete vehicles.

Sort of like what AEV does with their hemi jeep conversions..

You get a complete wire harness
Gateway ECU
Mounts etc

The end user just has to provide the powertrain and transaxle (relatively easy to find a crate LS from the numerous catalogs)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm guessing that individual replacement parts will become available in the future to purchase which would have the updated software already incorporated, no?

That is a question for Henrik and VLF. I think it would be smart of them to sell a builders kit for the destino rather than sell retrofitted cars. I bet they would sell a lot more of the kits than complete vehicles.

Sort of like what AEV does with their hemi jeep conversions..

You get a complete wire harness
Gateway ECU
Mounts etc

The end user just has to provide the powertrain and transaxle (relatively easy to find a crate LS from the numerous catalogs)

·
Registered
7 Posts
^^^^
I can't edit my posts, yet, so I can't add to what I thought about, above, but I'm guessing engine electronics/engine mounts/rear ends/transaxles/drivelines/frame connections, etc. would be available, too. Just thinking out loud...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Convert Fisker to Hellcat with kit

If I had the ability to convert your Karma to a V8 ie Destino, would you do it? I'm just looking for handraisers or interest at the moment. PM me or email me through the website www.fiskerofcherryhill.com
Today it looks like most Fisker owners would not consider converting to a V8 including me, but under certain conditions in the future I might.
Motor Trend recently had an article on Dodge’s plan to sell a Hellcat Engine Kit
it calls the Hellcrate.
The Hellcrate includes the engine for $19,530 and the kit for $2,195. The kit includes: power train control module,power distribution center, engine wiring harness, chassis harness,accelerator pedal,ground jumper,oxygen sensors,charge air temperature sensors,and fuel pump control module. The PCM comes with factory settings. You can also order a Front End Accessory Drive kit that includes: alternator,power steering pump,belts,pulleys a few other things.
Does anyone know if this engine would fit?

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Today it looks like most Fisker owners would not consider converting to a V8 including me, but under certain conditions in the future I might.
Motor Trend recently had an article on Dodge’s plan to sell a Hellcat Engine Kit
it calls the Hellcrate.
The Hellcrate includes the engine for $19,530 and the kit for $2,195. The kit includes: power train control module,power distribution center, engine wiring harness, chassis harness,accelerator pedal,ground jumper,oxygen sensors,charge air temperature sensors,and fuel pump control module. The PCM comes with factory settings. You can also order a Front End Accessory Drive kit that includes: alternator,power steering pump,belts,pulleys a few other things.
Does anyone know if this engine would fit?
The Motor is just a small piece of the puzzle you still need a complete drive train plus a way for the in car features to communicate with the other systems . The LS3 Motor fits there is a member here doing his own conversations including twin turbos I haven’t seen any updates on the project . You can make almost any engine fit with the right skills and machines.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just dropping in for a followup on this. Has anyone here successfully pulled off the LS swap?

We have a car torn down now, fingers crossed it'll be driving under its own LS power by the end of the year.

·
2012 White Eco Sport 2348
174 Posts
I like the way it is now but I would think someday the people who know how to work on these cars will no longer be working on them, then, if it keeps me and my karma on the road, I would.

61 - 74 of 74 Posts