Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
....... of lunatics, and by that I mean of course 2nd hand owners. After all, we have no excuse to buy these cars, conversely, the original owners had no reason to believe that FA would be so short lived - but buying these cars now is sheer madness! It would be crazy if this was a regular automobile, but considering the complexity of an EV-ER...... why???!!

The best thing today about the Fisker is this place! I have lurked and read about the car on here for months, certainly also in hopes the bug would fade, but in the end, and true to my compulsive nature, or as Oscar Wilde put it - “The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it.”

Of course, it is the nature of a forum to concentrate on problems, which makes this place so valuable, but it also runs the risk to scare people away unnecessarily, as I have noticed on here. Maybe that was the right thing for that individual, and maybe I will rue my decision someday because all the possible problems will rear their ugly head on my specific Karma - I will worry about that when it happens - but I also think that considering the limited resources with which this car was developed, the outsourcing of manufacturing and the fairly small number of cars produced, this vehicle is remarkably stable.

I also think that as owners - and I realize this myself after only a few weeks of use - we tend to forget the many marvelous and novel details we enjoy with this car. One of these is the hood - as any proper gear head, checking the oil level was high on my priority list after I drove off the dealers lot, so popping the hood revealed one of those details: For the engineer who designed and implemented the hood hinges and struts, I bow in awe! The 'balance' of he hood when closing is just marvelous, the hood is neither over nor under-sprung, it just floats..... lovely!!

I have a 15 mile commute, which is just about as bad as it can be for an ICE as it barely reaches operating temps when I shut off the car - electric cars don't have any of that. The Tesla was very tempting, indeed, but I feel the NSA snooping on every step of my life is enough, I don't need to add a car company to that mix..........

And here is the girl all dressed in proper white:

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Most Fisker owners are coming from an MP4 ;)
what do you think about the 650?
That's what I thought, we are a responsible bunch - we save the earth during the week cruising on electricity, which gives us credits to tool around with over 600 HP on weekends at 5 MPG :angel:

As for the 650S - I like the front, the side is an abomination, the rear hasn't changed, and of course more power is always better.....lol
Kidding aside, it's a very unfortunate move by McLaren for us 12C owners, residuals just took another hit.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Inquiring minds want to know - so I went to Mexico today and put the pedal to the metal on a deserted stretch of road - car rides like on rails at top speed, no fuzz at all, just quiet cruising, I am impressed.....

However, starting at around 75 MPH, there is a 'farting' sound emanating from the cowl or base of the windshield, as if there was something vibrating at approx 150 Hz pitch - where do I start looking?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Inquiring minds want to know - so I went to Mexico today and put the pedal to the metal on a deserted stretch of road - car rides like on rails at top speed, no fuzz at all, just quiet cruising, I am impressed.....

However, starting at around 75 MPH, there is a 'farting' sound emanating from the cowl or base of the windshield, as if there was something vibrating at approx 150 Hz pitch - where do I start looking?
First, welcome aboard. Owning a Karma is quite a ride, in both senses of that phrase.

Regarding the noise, assuming it is the same one I have been experiencing (to me, it sounds like a flag fliuttering in a strong breeze, but your definition fits also) in my experience, the noise is caused by turbulent airflow over the side mirrors hitting the side windows. You can test this by folding the mirrors at speed and observing the noise changing and diminishing, and then coming back when the mirrors are unfolded.

Since the noise is caused by the shape of the car, there is not much you can do to eliminate it, but beefing up the weather stripping around the glass will cut down on transmission into the cabin, but passive noise cancellation only goes so far. I tend to prefer active noise supression, i.e., turning up the music a couple of steps. :D:idea:

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Fab - for the welcome, and the reply to the fluttering noise, the flag analogy is perfect, and what you tried with the mirror wing indicates the general direction the noise is coming from, but I have hopes its not the wings.

Just curious - has this been discussed as a general issue, present in all cars? It is so loud in my car, I would believe nobody would accept this. I have a hunch what trim part could cause this......

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Welcome to the community!

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Thanks Fab - for the welcome, and the reply to the fluttering noise, the flag analogy is perfect, and what you tried with the mirror wing indicates the general direction the noise is coming from, but I have hopes its not the wings.

Just curious - has this been discussed as a general issue, present in all cars? It is so loud in my car, I would believe nobody would accept this. I have a hunch what trim part could cause this......
There has been some discussion of this specific issue, for example here, and noise abatement in general, for example here. You can find more by using the Forum's Search function.

EV drivers generally tend to hear a lot of noises that would have been obscured by the roar of a large ICE, so noise abatement tends to be more of an issue with EVs than with ICE-powered cars in general. I used to commute a fairly long distance to work at highway speeds, so I have heard the fluttering flag noise a lot and have tried various things to reduce or eliminate it, but so far, the only 100% effective way has been to crank up the audio system. For some reason, Verdi's Il Trovatore seems to work best for this. :D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There has been some discussion of this specific issue, for example here, and noise abatement in general, for example here. You can find more by using the Forum's Search function.

EV drivers generally tend to hear a lot of noises that would have been obscured by the roar of a large ICE, so noise abatement tends to be more of an issue with EVs than with ICE-powered cars in general. I used to commute a fairly long distance to work at highway speeds, so I have heard the fluttering flag noise a lot and have tried various things to reduce or eliminate it, but so far, the only 100% effective way has been to crank up the audio system. For some reason, Verdi's Il Trovatore seems to work best for this. :D
Italian sopranos are so practical........ :p
but what to do when I am in the mood for Mozarts Clarinet Concerto in A.......?? slow down?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another item I applaud the Karma engineers for a very accomplished task: brake blend.

The transition from regenerative braking to regular friction braking is blended perfectly, I never noticed even the slightest upset or artifical feedback - whoever worked that out on our Fiskers did a splendid job, I wouldn't be surprised if some all nighters were pulled for that one........:thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts