Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These days, I have ice on my car and the windows, in the morning.
I either have to remove it manually or with support of some chemicals, or I better let my Karma start and pull the heating up.

Unfortunately, this only woks, disconnected from the 240V power and in this case, it consumes about 6 to 10 battery miles, before I even start my trip.

Is there a possibility to heat the car 240V powered?

With 530, I could imagine to install a separate 12V heater, as the 12V battery will be charged by the 400V battery which is charged by the 230V on board charger...

But I don't like the idea of having additional components, in case there is a way to convince the on board heating to operate with 230V connected to the car....

How do you deal with this? Any 3rd party solution? e.g. as an upgrade to TOM?

Sorry Sunshine state's and SoCal folks... While I really love your climate, I can hear you singing 'I don't have this problem...'
Thanks.

·
Registered
829 Posts
On a related question ... is the heater able to pull heat from the ICE if it is running? Or, does the heating system always rely on the battery?

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
On a related question ... is the heater able to pull heat from the ICE if it is running? Or, does the heating system always rely on the battery?
The heater absolutely benefits from the ICE. I don't like burning gas but I don't like being cold even more so I'll switch the car into Sport mode to jump start cabin heating and then turn it off once the car is blowing hot air. The Fisker, unlike some other cars with a range extender like the BMW i3 Rex, does benefit from waste heat generated by the ICE.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Hi,
the heating module -however it is called- does not only benefit from the ICE heat, but also has a pure electric mode.
The latter is really under engineered, but it works somehow.

The question is, how to activate it in the morning ... it might run for 30mins or even an hour, as long it is served by the 240V outlet ...

In this case, I don't get cold and Brent doesn't have to go for the sport mode.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Hi,
the heating module -however it is called- does not only benefit from the ICE heat, but also has a pure electric mode.
The latter is really under engineered, but it works somehow.

The question is, how to activate it in the morning ... it might run for 30mins or even an hour, as long it is served by the 240V outlet ...

Sounds like something @PowerSource can program into their module.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Engine coolant loop combines with PTC booster heater for cabin. This is why running with ICE on is much more effective as it preheats the coolant for PTC. We haven't attempted to precondition the cabin plugged in with the heater on but will test. Shouldn't be an issue to turn PTC heater on while plugged in. The PTC heater can pull up to 6KW so even while plugged in shore power will not be enough to keep up with max power demand. You will still lose miles if PTC heater is consuming more than 2.8kW or so.

An engine block heater to preheat the coolant is probably the easiest way to do this. We could program TOM unit to poll exterior temp with power consumption at max SOC so that the PTC turns on but does not consume more than what can be pulled from the wall. Will look into it further.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
Hi,

I would love that too. One of the greatest disappointments when the Karma shipped was that the promised Preconditioning capabilities never materialized. There were lots of promises, and it's even in some versions of the manual, but no dice.

My wife has an i3 and it is excellent at this. I'm not sure I can ever buy another car without it. With her i3 you can:

1) Leave the AC or heat running after you stop your car, for example if you're just grabbing lunch and don't want to return to a cold car (It'll turn off after a time interval or battery level)
2) Precondition the cabin to a set temperature on-demand from a phone app
3) Schedule preconditioning of the cabin via the app or dashboard, including recurrence. My wife's car is set to be always comfortable when she leaves for work in the morning every weekday regardless of the outside temp
4) Schedule preconditioning of the battery system via the app or dashboard, including recurrence. This allow the battery to get or down up to ideal temperature using shore power and greatly increases useful range

All of this can be done when plugged into L2 or L3, and the cabin stuff can be done when plugged into L1. You can also precondition the cabin from the battery when you're out and about.

PowerSource, if you can somehow get TOM to do this I'd be very interested.

Brent

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
We could program TOM unit to poll exterior temp with power consumption at max SOC so that the PTC turns on but does not consume more than what can be pulled from the wall. Will look into it further.
There was a setting for preconditioning in the CIU software since the beginning, but it never actually did anything. Probably not possible to connect the TOM feature to the existing UI, but it would be great if it were. Of course, we could just put a switch under the dash -- ghetto style. :confused:

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
This would be automatic at x degrees and y SOC, PTC would be active with z watts max available. Not related to the CIU SW- just predetermined criteria. If 50 ideal miles are already banked there may be a vampire load associated with this but we can limit current draw at the wee hours (after charging has been completed) of the night and ramp power consumption up to when most people are awake (5-9AM) and want a heated cabin (fixed logic dependent on exterior temp). Several ways to do this independent of CIU. Of course we could make that one setting on the CIU enable or disable this function. It is just a persistent CAN message.

The great thing about the Karma CIU is that there are many settings "buttons" that don't do much of anything and can be re-purposed for other more meaningful tasks.

Could also do control by SMS but have gotten pushback from owners not wanting a "connected' car.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My cold weather routine is to get to the car, 30 min prior my leave, pull the cable, go into ready mode, turn on the heater. Ready mode ads s lot of other consumers like lights and sound....

If we could fire the Ptc heater with TOM, I'd be happy to send my car a SMS to do this. For sure!!!!

You could secure the SMS by accepting these messages only from MSISDN eq to [name of driver] 1 || 2
So I just enter my phone number (or some portions of it) as driver 1 name

1 - 10 of 10 Posts