Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tesla is announcing something very big tomorrow, their stock jumped 4%.
My guess is they are buying Fisker. This would explain why Fisker quit Fisker... the Fisker name will be removed, and it will be the Tesla Karma. Tesla needs a 60K car, and the Atlantic would be perfect. OK, so it may be wishful thinking.
We will know in a few hours. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
888 Posts
This would be a big move for Tesla as they would get access to a more solid dealer network and a lot of tech and advanced design...
But 'Tesla Karma' ... uhhhg

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

·
Registered
996 Posts
I would rather have Fisker go into bankruptcy than have Tesla acquire them. I absolutely love my Karma and could not bear to see the soul taken out of Fisker and be replaced with that cheap err "minimalist" garbage interior in the Model S. I like the classy interior of the Karma and everything the brand stands for (i.e. lifestyle brand vs auto brand etc). I really hope the "Elon" announcement has nothing to do with Fisker. In the small chance that it does, I hope it is a separate entity from Tesla. I really do not want a Pure EV Karma/Atlantic etc. I really dig the drivetrain and prefer it to my Model S. To me the Karma in its current form is the epitome of perfection. Elegant, Beautiful, Striking, simply the most amazing everyday vehicle that has ever existed.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
NO! Elon Musk disrespects Fisker as a "design company" which he believes to be a lesser life form than his "engineering company".

Those of us who own Karmas know that it has a lot of great engineering. I'm not sure the same can be said for Tesla's design capabilities.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Toyota and Honda needed decades to get a premium brand... Tesla could get its premium brand and could learn from them after only some years...

:)

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
While I think it is exceedingly unlikely that Tesla would buy Fisker (although I would welcome it) we're going to have to wait a little longer to find out. Elon just tweeted that he's moving his "big announcement" to next Tuesday so as not to interfere with quarter-end.

·
Registered
457 Posts
NO! Elon Musk disrespects Fisker as a "design company" which he believes to be a lesser life form than his "engineering company".

Those of us who own Karmas know that it has a lot of great engineering. I'm not sure the same can be said for Tesla's design capabilities.
Dennis,

Even if elon respected it as a design company, would he want it with fisker gone? Maybe more so, but if fisker is mostly responsible for the design, why would he want just his backup singers?

·
Registered
996 Posts
Dennis,

Even if elon respected it as a design company, would he want it with fisker gone? Maybe more so, but if fisker is mostly responsible for the design, why would he want just his backup singers?
It wasn't just Henrik who was responsible for the design. He brought a lot of other designers with him when he left BMW, Ford/Aston. Most of these designers are still with the company.

Franz was the backup to the backup "singer" to Henrik and his design staff when he was at the FPG/Mazda. So it is apparent that Tesla has already set the precedent of procuring "back up singer" talent. This unlikely scenario would actually be an upgrade.

Fisker is more than a "design" company this is proven by the hundreds of technical and EV patents that Fisker Automotive holds.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Likewise, I think it's a longshot but it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Tech companies do this sort of thing all the time. Buy a competitor or complimentary/related tech company and then suck it dry of the best people, ideas, IP, brand cachet, customer base, product pipeline, leverage with suppliers (more scale), etc etc. Oftentimes the acquired company fades into oblivion as the products just get merged and the origins effectively erased. Just look at Oracle or Cisco for instance...they binged on this practice throughout the past 15 years or so.

It would be a reasonable explanation as to why Henrik left in such a surprise fashion. I think he could live with the Chinese (maybe) but Elon - no f-ing way - not given the history.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It seems to me the assets Fisker has, technology, North American dealer network, distribution to international markets (europe, middle east, etc), product ready to go be built (Karma and Atlantic) would make some sense to Tesla. But probably the best asset is the price. Tesla's stock valuation seems quite high, so they can use their stock to acquire Fisker assets on the relative cheap. This would eliminate a competitor, not allow a larger player to acquire the technology and done in a fairly non-diluted manner.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
For all of the folks who seem to be repeating the idea that Fisker is all design and no engineering I'd suggest you re-read this excellent technical review of the Fisker suspension and handling construction. Even the author noted how bespoke and well engineered it was:
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/track-tests/2012-fisker-karma-suspension-walkaround.html

FTA:
I didn't know what to expect before I put the Karma up on our Rotary lift, but after doing so I think they really have something here. I really have to hand it to them. None of what we've seen is parts-bin stuff. They really have designed an entire car.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
It is a lot of fun to speculate about a hypothetical Tesla-Fisker (Tisker?) marriage, and the "design company", "engineering company" shout-off is most amusing. However, the world is a very dull place and I suspect that the announcement next week will most likely be about more mundane things, such as profitability, delivering the 3000th Tesla-S, or even this.

Still, no reason to let reality stop the fun discourse, so please continue ...

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
View attachment 297
What is the purpose of the phallus shaped thing on the right hand side???
Is it THE sign for all Model S driver?

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de
That's the new connector for the 850KW Hyper charger that will charge your Tesla from 0 to full charge in 6 minutes by shutting down a few local hospitals, schools, and sewage treatment plants briefly while you sip Italian fuzzy water with a slice of lemon in it, because nothing is more important than getting you back on the road with your BEV. The connector is actual size, BTW.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
That's the new connector for the 850KW Hyper charger that will charge your Tesla from 0 to full charge in 6 minutes by shutting down a few local hospitals, schools, and sewage treatment plants briefly while you sip Italian fuzzy water with a slice of lemon in it, because nothing is more important than getting you back on the road with your BEV. The connector is actual size, BTW.
Waiting for this to reported as fact on Fox News in 5...4...3...

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
I think its next to impossible that Tesla buys Fisker. Less than a 0.000000001% chance in my estimation. But stranger things have happened.

·
Registered
859 Posts
More Time to Speculate!

Elon changed his "really exciting announcement" date to next Tuesday "to ensure no end of quarter distractions."

Now we have more time to speculate. Okay, what might Elon be up to? Tuesday's announcement is coming from someone who takes on the government with space-station docking vehicles, and from someone who takes on Detroit with a revolutionary new car design. For the purpose of this exercise, I think we can eliminate Elon saying something mundane - something his customers, stockholders and the general public would expect in the normal course of business. So I believe we can expect something very bold out of Elon.

What are our other hints? 1. Elon is excited. 2. He's throwing a great deal of money into whatever it is. 3. He says he's waiting for the end of the quarter.

What else do we know? 1. Tesla is said to be making 400-500 vehicles a week. The Nummi plant, just before it closed down in 2010, was averaging 6000 vehicles a week. 2. Tesla has about a dozen "stores" and a dozen service facilities in the U.S. 3. The Model X has been delayed a year.

Finally, I heard yesterday from a Tesla employee that Model S sales have slowed.

I'll leave it at that and let other "Buzzers" weigh-in.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I really hope its exciting, but as I've said elsewhere, I've learned to temper my enthusiasm. They haven't really wow'd me in a while -- even when they claimed they were going to.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts