Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a letter from the IRS informing me that my claim of a $7500 tax credit had been denied because my car was not placed into service prior to 1/1/2012. Has anyone else had this experience?

My accountant is investigating.

Buck

·
Registered
479 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
That doesn't make sense. Maybe there is a mixup on when you bought it versus the tax year you are filing in? Another possibility - are you the first owner??

Relevant listings - both pages updated by IRS in past 6 months:
http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Qualified-Vehicles-Acquired-after-12-31-2009

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/30D.-...rive-Motor-Vehicles-–--Fisker-Automotive,-Inc.
Here is the IRS page that covers this credit. The only date limit I could find was that the vehicle had to be put into service after 2009, but no end date, except when there are 200,000 vehicles sold by that manufacturer (which is less than the total count of all EVs sold in the US, ever). One possibility is that Fisker dropped the ball (shockingly) by failing to file the quarterly reports required. Otherwise, there does not seem to be a valid reason to deny the rebate.

[Edited to Add:] There was a separate rebate for charging equipment that expired on Jan. 1, 2012, but that was under a different program and was ultimately renewed, but with a lower overall cap.

·
Registered
859 Posts
One possibility is that Fisker dropped the ball (shockingly) by failing to file the quarterly reports required. Otherwise, there does not seem to be a valid reason to deny the rebate.
Yeah, the whole thing seems odd. I'm not a tax attorney, but it doesn't seem logical that a taxpayer would be denied a legitimate tax credit due to the actions or inactions of a 3rd party. (FA in this case.) Anyway, whoever sent the denial letter was talking about a purchase date and not what the manufacturer did or did not report.

·
Registered
146 Posts
DNAGuy

This was posted earlier today in another tread.

Internal Revenue Code Section 30D clearing allows for the credit.

I’m a tax accountant; I’m also an Enrolled Agent which means I know little something about the IRC. Your accountant will be able to easily fix this by responding to the letter pursuit to Section 30D.

On the top of Form 8936 it states: “Use this form to claim the credit for certain plug-in electric vehicles”.

In parentheses it states (other than certain two- or three-wheeled or low –speed four- wheeled vehicles acquired before 2012). These last few words can easily be mis-interpreted to mean your Fisker Karma was not put in service prior to January 1, 2012 therefore it does not qualify for the credit.

Samuel

·
Registered
264 Posts
The IRS denied me the credit for almost 1 year. I submitted all of the proper forms with my return. The credit was denied. They then wanted a copy of the registration. They denied it again. They then requested a copy of my sales contract. Finally almost one year after submitting my return I recieved my refund. Keep trying, eventually you will prevail.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your advise!

My tax attorney agrees with the forum, that I deserve the refund and will fight for it!

I will keep everyone informed.

Buck

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Does anyone know if you buy a new Karma and Fisker goes BK (either pre or post sale of the new Karma), will the IRS still recognize the $7500 tax credit on that purchase?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yes, the IRS should still recognize the $7,500 tax credit. The IRS does not make laws they must follow them just like we do. This $7,500 credit is an act of Congress. One of the IRS mandates is the carryout the wishes of Congress.

Samuel

·
Registered
52 Posts
Does anyone know if you can get two credits for two Karmas, or only one per household?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wonderful. Thanks for the link !!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Free Charging Station and Installation

In fact, not only can you claim the tax credit on more than one vehicle DTE Engergy provides up to $2,500 for the purchase of the charging station and installation of 240v wiring for more than one vehicle. That's $2,500 per vehicle.

In addition, you receive a special rate of 7.6 cent per kwh.

They did a great job installing my wiring underground and the charging station.

Here is the link to DTE Electric Vehicle Team: www.dteenergy.com/pev

Samuel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Tax Credits

All 'New' Karma's are being sold as 'Used'. If the car is being titled for the first time, does it still qualify for the tax credit?

·
Registered
536 Posts
I agree there should be no limit per household. There is a limit per automaker, but Fisker is nowhere near that threshold with well under 3K cars (not even Volt has exceeded the limit, so they are all still attracting the credit)

As to the OP, maybe just submit a return prepared on turbotax - it worked fine for me. That isn't a workable solution for someone with a complex return, but it's curious that TT was set up properly, and I wonder if something in the program could inform your accountant?

Note: I did NOT get the credit for the charger though. I jumped through a lot of hoops trying, but in the end I was under the impression that basically nobody would get it. If anyone DID get the charger credit, let me know.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I EVEntually got my rebate

I was the one who started this thread, and I want to inform the group that I eventually did win my appeal from the IRS. I had to pay the tax and eventually got it "refunded" back to me when my appeal was upheld.

Buck

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Great to hear DNA guy. The 1/1/12 date didn't make sense. I got mine in March of 2012 and had no issue. The Dictocrats are alive and well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts