1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Karma has several noises that I would love to eradicate, if possible:

• There's a vibration-induced noise coming from somewhere in/around the dashboard (high up as it appears to come from the windshield). This occurs on uneven road surfaces.

• The driver's door panel has a vibration-induced rattle which the previous owner partially resolved by sticking a business card fragment in a gap below the arm rest.

• There's that wind noise coming from the passenger-side rear window

Other than the door panel issue (I can live with the bit of cardboard - only noticeable if you really look - I took it out to find out why it was there!), is the Noise and Vibration Package likely to take care of the other issues?

What other remedies are there?

Simon

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Simon,

I'm also looking into this. From what I've learned so far, there are 15 areas on the car that are addressed in the NVH kit. The dash rattle and rear parcel shelf vibration are both included. Apparently the cost is mostly labor as it takes between one and two full days at the shop to complete and is pretty involved.

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I spoke with Pat at Pat's Garage (San Francisco) a little earlier - he mentioned that there are some usual suspects for vibration noises (probably including the ones you note), although he did say that some apparent dashboard vibrations can emanate from under the hood. As a result, I will head up to SF in the next week or so and drive along some rough SF streets so he can have a listen.

I'll update the forum when that's done and whether going down the path of the NVH kit would make any sense!

All good fun :)

Simon

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I would describe it more like a clicking or tapping sound, and it happens when I drive over uneven road surfaces.
I had a sound that was similar to that. Could have sworn it was under the dash. Turned out it was a lose bolt holding down the stiffener bars over the engine. The bolt over the driver side fender wasn't tightened down properly after changing the oil filter. :dodgy:

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a sound that was similar to that. Could have sworn it was under the dash. Turned out it was a lose bolt holding down the stiffener bars over the engine. The bolt over the driver side fender wasn't tightened down properly after changing the oil filter. :dodgy:
Well that's interesting - my rattle started after having spark plug replacements and an oil change... :-/

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Well that's interesting - my rattle started after having spark plug replacements and an oil change... :-/
A while back I noticed that mine had come loose too. Easy enough to check and tighten both ends if needed.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Cross brace is the most common cause of noises .The doors seals are also causing wind noise what has to be done is remove the door seal . The seal im mentioning is the seal on the body of the car Not the door the goes around the opening. When you remove the seal you use a block of wood and a hammer to bend the metal that holds the seal .Bend it outwards so the seal will be tighter against the door.
Also on the rear door the little quarter glass that doesn't move has a gap in the seal between the seal and glass that we fill in will glue we inject it into the gap.
Any CSP should have the bulletins

·
Premium Member
2012 Fisker Karma #1030
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@marswill and @Harleyguy - great feedback; thank you!

(I will leave activities that include the words "block of wood", "hammer" and "bend" to the professionals, when it comes to my Karma).

I will let you know how I get on.

Simon

·
Registered
16 Posts
Cross brace is the most common cause of noises .The doors seals are also causing wind noise what has to be done is remove the door seal . The seal im mentioning is the seal on the body of the car Not the door the goes around the opening. When you remove the seal you use a block of wood and a hammer to bend the metal that holds the seal .Bend it outwards so the seal will be tighter against the door.
Also on the rear door the little quarter glass that doesn't move has a gap in the seal between the seal and glass that we fill in will glue we inject it into the gap.
Any CSP should have the bulletins
Do you have a bulletin which you could send me?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts