Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still no with the iphone sound quality... I've read some post stating that you should minimize the volume on the phone, but I don't know how.. I seems like the volume controls (on the phone) don't influence the volume while connected via bluetooth.

So am I missing something here...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Still no with the iphone sound quality... I've read some post stating that you should minimize the volume on the phone, but I don't know how.. I seems like the volume controls (on the phone) don't influence the volume while connected via bluetooth.

So am I missing something here...
you mean the static? on phone call yes will go away when you lower the volume

not sure what your question on Bluetooth streaming.?

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The volume controls on the phone definitely influence the volume while connected to bluetooth. I just witnessed this 2 days ago in a Karma, using an Iphone 5.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really strange...
Up to now non of my iPhones I could influence the volume while connected via Bluetooth during a phone cal. You can push the volume up/down as many times you want, no change in volume (and static).

I don't see any "icon" appearing on the Iphone (icon does appear when changing vol on speaker for instance...) as well. Are BT standard different in Europe?

·
Registered
31 Posts
When iPhones are connected to the bluetooth on Fisker Karma, changing of volume is disabled. YOu CANNOT change volume from your handset during a phone call. This is the same for most cars. it's an Apple implementation.

This is only possible with Android, Blackberry, Windows, and all other phones.

One trick you can try is, when the iPhone is NOT connected to the Karma, place a call and change the volume during that call to about medium level. Then when the phone is reconnected to the Karma's bluetooth, it will hopefully stay around that setting.

The reason this lower volume trick works is, the karma's bluetooth system will perform automatic gain control (ACG) of all outgoing sounds (from the mic) and incoming sounds (to the speaker system).
During the latest software revision, a huge improvement and change was done to re-tune the entire echo cancelation + automatic gain control algorithm. If you guys remember one of the earlier softwares had almost no echo cancelation algorithm so the person on the other side can hear very clearly their own voice.

However, because the way the algorithm is written, it had a negative consequence to the ACG.

how the crackling sound happens:
When Karma's phone system detects incoming sound from the other side during a phone call, it will always attempt to adjust the level to the user's setting (whatever your volume setting is). But during a pause in the conversation, it thinks the sound is too quiet and maxes out the ACG gain. When the person on the other side speaks again, the sound is immediately distorted. However, you will notice if the person keeps speaking, the crackling will go away and the sound will be leveled to normal. Then it repeats when there's a pause again.
When you adjust the volume on your cell phone, you are basically lowering that "max level" so even when the ACG maxes out, it is still audible sound and not distorted.

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
When iPhones are connected to the bluetooth on Fisker Karma, changing of volume is disabled. YOu CANNOT change volume from your handset during a phone call. This is the same for most cars. it's an Apple implementation.

This is only possible with Android, Blackberry, Windows, and all other phones.

One trick you can try is, when the iPhone is NOT connected to the Karma, place a call and change the volume during that call to about medium level. Then when the phone is reconnected to the Karma's bluetooth, it will hopefully stay around that setting.

The reason this lower volume trick works is, the karma's bluetooth system will perform automatic gain control (ACG) of all outgoing sounds (from the mic) and incoming sounds (to the speaker system).
During the latest software revision, a huge improvement and change was done to re-tune the entire echo cancelation + automatic gain control algorithm. If you guys remember one of the earlier softwares had almost no echo cancelation algorithm so the person on the other side can hear very clearly their own voice.

However, because the way the algorithm is written, it had a negative consequence to the ACG.

how the crackling sound happens:
When Karma's phone system detects incoming sound from the other side during a phone call, it will always attempt to adjust the level to the user's setting (whatever your volume setting is). But during a pause in the conversation, it thinks the sound is too quiet and maxes out the ACG gain. When the person on the other side speaks again, the sound is immediately distorted. However, you will notice if the person keeps speaking, the crackling will go away and the sound will be leveled to normal. Then it repeats when there's a pause again.
When you adjust the volume on your cell phone, you are basically lowering that "max level" so even when the ACG maxes out, it is still audible sound and not distorted.
Very helpful, thanks!

Did you work at FA before?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tried to lower the volume prior to BT connection. Although indeed lowered, the crackling however seems to stay...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts