Fisker Buzz Forums banner

Interior power wiring

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  steven 
#1 ·
I need some more power sources in my cabin.

Currently, I'm using a 12V to 230V transformer, which is plugged into the source between the back seats.

I want to improve this by installing a fixed 230V socket in that area and hiding the transformer... I also will have the transformer fixed connected to the 12V circuit.

Additionally, I would like to add a USB socket near by the one, which is available between the front seats, but without iPod functionality. It is annoying, to start the iPod player app on my iPhone, every time, I plug it in to get it charged... In that case, it plays music even while I'm on the phone!?!?!

Does anybody have exploded assembly drawings and 12V wiring schemes available? ... Including the wiring path to the fuse box?

Any hints for disassembling/assembling are highly appreciated too.

Thank you!

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Harleyguy. I appreciate your help.

Not sure what to remove.

At first, I'll need the right place to install the transformer which is roughly in size of a can of beer, but 50% longer. I'll need some space around it, as it will get warm, but got never warm enough that you can not touch it.

I will need another place to install the 230v socket outlet, which I will source from a mobile home parts store. Ideally it can be installed 'in-wall'. But should be reachable from the back seats. Maybe in the same panel as the 12v and USB plug in the back seats...

And I need to remove the center console and the arm rest. To install a 2nd USB port. There is 12V close by, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I think. I need to remove the panel, the center console and the arm rest.
Is there a 'way' from behind the panel to the trunk? Maybe I can install the transformer in the trunk behind the carpets?!?

Thanks,
Stefan

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

#4 ·
Thanks Harleyguy. I appreciate your help.

Not sure what to remove.

At first, I'll need the right place to install the transformer which is roughly in size of a can of beer, but 50% longer. I'll need some space around it, as it will get warm, but got never warm enough that you can not touch it.

I will need another place to install the 230v socket outlet, which I will source from a mobile home parts store. Ideally it can be installed 'in-wall'. But should be reachable from the back seats. Maybe in the same panel as the 12v and USB plug in the back seats...

And I need to remove the center console and the arm rest. To install a 2nd USB port. There is 12V close by, so it wouldn't be a problem.

I think. I need to remove the panel, the center console and the arm rest.
Is there a 'way' from behind the panel to the trunk? Maybe I can install the transformer in the trunk behind the carpets?!?

Thanks,
Stefan

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de
Regarding additional ports up front, I have a very short dual USB adaptor plugged int the 12 V socket inside the console. It does not priotrude beyond the edge of the socket and does not take any room inside the console and provides two power-only USB ports. The super short USB adaptors are readily available at electronics stores and even you can even find them in the impulse item area in gas stations and drug stores. The dual USB are a little harder to find, but still not that rare.

Here is one example. http://goo.gl/Zx1cZ There are many others.

#5 ·
Thanks Fabulist.
I already bought one of them (one port), but it does not charge my iPhone 4S or my IPad 3; it does charge my ipod!?!? maybe not enough current...

I have another 12V-->USB adaptor... much bigger, works fine for both, but is too long and looks ugly.

Therefore I want to hide the bigger one and just install a socket.

Are you using an iPhone? Maybe, I should try another small adaptor first.

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

#10 · (Edited)
Thanks Fabulist.
I already bought one of them (one port), but it does not charge my iPhone 4S or my IPad 3; it does charge my ipod!?!? maybe not enough current...

I have another 12V-->USB adaptor... much bigger, works fine for both, but is too long and looks ugly.

Therefore I want to hide the bigger one and just install a socket.

Are you using an iPhone? Maybe, I should try another small adaptor first.

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de
@Stefan, yes, we all use the Iphone 4S, and the adaptor I use can handle charging two of them without a problem. Just make sure the output current matches the spec. for the phone you have. Also, these little guys can't handle an Ipad, FYI.

Also, regarding the inverter, I was travelling this weekend and saw a 110V inverter in of the shops at the Dallas-Fortworth shopping mall that happens to have a few runways attached, also known as DFW, that is designed to fit into a car's cup holder and thought that may be a good temporary solution for you until you get your inverter installed permanently. Amazon has tons of different ones, see this link or search Amazon for "cupholder inverter". Obviously, these are all made for the US market and output 110V, 200W but most electronics would work on both, and you can probably find similar products made for the European market that output 220V.

#7 ·
The center console is help in by four 30mm torx and 4 8mm bolts . Remove the wood trim in the front above the TPI remove the wood in the rear of the console . The wood is help in by spring clips try and find a tool made of plastic not to scratch the wood .
Open the console lid on the console side near both front corners you will see two black caps one on the left one on the right they blend into the black felt pretty good . Pop those ocers off there you find two torx .

When you remove the front wood you will see two small 8 mm bolts remove them . Next part you need to remove the two trim panels at the front of the console that are between the knee boltser and attached to the console . The left side just grabbed the lower corner and pull . When that's removed you will see one more small bolt . Next you need to remove the right side panel that one is usually installed fairly tight . Open the glove box door gives you some more room to grab the trim panel like the left side you need to grabl the lower part and pull it off but you need to pull pretty hard . The other bolt is behind that panel

Once all the screws are out the console can be lifted up some next you need to disconnect the wiring . First connector to undo is the one at the very end of the console the end where the lid is lift up the console reach under the console and grab the big black connector slide the safety lock on the connector back then push the tab down the connector will come apart

Once that's loose you will be able to slide the console back some behind the TPI is a couple wire connectors and three coax connectors separate all the connectors then lift the console out . You can't mix up any of the connectors they only go one way just be carefull of the coax connectors they are kinda short they all have little release tabs that you push down to release .

#11 ·
Thank you all for responding.

In the meantime, I got the griffin adaptor, Fabulist mentioned. It works fine and is really tiny ...

In principal, I have no problem with 110v as most devices supporting a range from 110 to 230 V... (Nintendos, Laptops, IPads or DVD on long trips) and I don't run a toaster or hair dryer :)

I have been using a transformer sourced from RadioShack somewhere in Miami, but it got really hot ... I mean rreeaalllllyy!!!

So I got the other one, which I can use temp and will install when I find the time (and courage) to follow Harleyguys instructions.

Will make photos...
Thanks.

Stefan
German Karma Forum
www.karma-forum.de

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.