Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve converted the Karma’s interior dome lights to LED. I don’t know why the Karma didn’t come with LED bulbs for interior lighting as I feel that is the eco thing to do. For the front I’ve put in 578 type 4410-WW8, bulbs from superbrightleds.com and they work great. They’re warm white and provide very pleasing illumination (my opinion). For the rear dome lights I put in the superbright 194-WWHPS LED’s, also warm white. The 194-WWHPS LED’s had to be modified for the Karma. A “normal” 194 bulb gets its power from the two terminals in a side-by side configuration but the Karma has the 194 sockets set up in a top-to-bottom configuration. This isn’t an issue with the stock W5W bulbs that come with the Karma but the 194-WWHPS need to be converted from a side-to-side configuration to a top-to-bottom configuration. This is fairly easy to do. Just reconfigure the two wires coming out of the 194-WWHPS so that the leads don’t wrap over the end of the bulb but instead fold back onto themselves on the same side they exit the bulb. This will allow the power to be applied in a top-to-bottom configuration and prevent the stock 194-WWHPS from shorting the sockets in the Karma.

You might find it interesting to note that when I measured the bulbs, I found the W5W to draw 360mA at 12V whereas the 194-WWHPS draws only 75mA at 12V.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Remember the car was designed in 2007 I don't believe many car manufacturers were using LED at time and since Fisker was a small company it might of been easier to use bulbs just a thought . Just add it to the list of parts and design they dropped the ball with.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Remember the car was designed in 2007 I don't believe many car manufacturers were using LED at time and since Fisker was a small company it might of been easier to use bulbs just a thought . Just add it to the list of parts and design they dropped the ball with.
The Karma does use LEDs for daylight running lights, brake lights, turn signals, backup, and rear fog lights. It is odd that LEDs were specified for the exterior lights, but interior dome lights and the interior trunk lights use incandescent bulbs. Even the cup holder lights appear to be LEDs. Just seems like odd design choices.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
The Karma does use LEDs for daylight running lights, brake lights, turn signals, backup, and rear fog lights. It is odd that LEDs were specified for the exterior lights, but interior dome lights and the interior trunk lights use incandescent bulbs. Even the cup holder lights appear to be LEDs. Just seems like odd design choices.

The dome lights were GM carryover assemblies (part of a tool usage agreement they had with GM per the 2013 BK docs that references the 2009 agreement). So they likely just used them the way they were delivered; with the GM spec'd incandescent lights in order to not void any warranties or create issues between GM and FA.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The dome lights were GM carryover assemblies (part of a tool usage agreement they had with GM per the 2013 BK docs that references the 2009 agreement). So they likely just used them the way they were delivered; with the GM spec'd incandescent lights in order to not void any warranties or create issues between GM and FA.
In fact the sheet metal reflector inside the rear dome light assembly has a GM logo on it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lots of common GM parts on the car and I learn something new almost every month.

@ Fab - There should be a sticky with all the GM cross referenced parts listed that users can add to as they discover or may already know. It is not an issue now, but as the car gets older and theings start to fail (typically at 6yr/60kmi) it will be good to be able to know which parts bin to go to for the best prices vs possibly paying a stiff premium from KA.

I would make it with sub areas Engine, Interior, ect

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@ Fab - There should be a sticky with all the GM cross referenced parts listed that users can add to as they discover or may already know. It is not an issue now, but as the car gets older and thngs start to fail (typically at 6yr/60kmi) it will be good to be able to know which parts bin to go to for the best prices vs possibly paying a stiff premium from KA.

I would make it with sub areas Engine, Interior, ect
A thread along these lines was started a long time ago. If there is sufficient interest in making it sticky and to add new information, I will be happy to do it.

Mu initial thinking is that it would belong in the Fisker Parts and Accessories Forum, but I am open to suggestions on other homes for it.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
I put Blue LEDs in my car when I bought it. Vanity and trunk are white though. I bought LEDs on eBay. The trunk requires loop LEDs. The blue lights are awesome!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts