Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was informed last month that Traveler's will no longer cover my Karma!

Based on posts here, I went to my local State Farm rep, who gave good rates and said he could cover it. But I was surprised with a call from him yesterday, telling me that they could NOT cover it, after all! That State Farm cannot offer Comprehensive or Collision for my car. Which means that I'm currently without insurance.

Who are you guys using, and do you mind posting how much you pay for coverage? I'm speaking with a broker now that's working with Erie and Hagerty, but so far I don't have an answer.

·
Registered
261 Posts
ACE. and I just renewed. Ace has a very high rating, and is a quality company. Spinoff from AIG

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
AAA has insured mine from the beginning and never had any issues with renewal.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I just changed to The Hartford. Prior I had State Farm. I also had quotes from Farmers. So their are choices available.

·
Early Adopter
1,255 Posts
USAA then state farm (to get a better price on the house) now back at USAA - same rate pretty much

·
Registered
535 Posts
I have Progressive in Florida, but I did have to switch from Nationwide when I bought it because they wouldn't cover it. I'm surprised to hear it varies state-to-state.

I've always had the concern that at some future renewal they'd do the same to me (end coverage), but it was a bigger concern in 2014 than it is in 2015 now that there are parts to repair the car (in 2014 a $500 fender bender could have rendered it an insurance write-off).

·
Registered
211 Posts
Traveler's in Canada cover mine but then again things vary country to country and even within states and provinces so it is possible they have different rules for different countries. Liberty Mutual, AAA, and other suggestions above will likely offer coverage.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As of right now, Erie seems to be my only option. State Farm said yes, then later said no. Hagerty said no. Nationwide said no. AAA said yes, but Erie was cheaper in NC.

I wouldn't be shocked, though, to find out in a month or so that Erie REALLY meant no :-(

·
Registered
144 Posts
As of right now, Erie seems to be my only option. State Farm said yes, then later said no. Hagerty said no. Nationwide said no. AAA said yes, but Erie was cheaper in NC.

I wouldn't be shocked, though, to find out in a month or so that Erie REALLY meant no :-(

You may want to hurry and insure it with Erie, as they may soon not accept the karmas...they wont cancel you once its started...

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
Odd, I was insured with State Farm for 3 years after switch from Progressive. I recently changed to AARP-Hartford. The premium was $1800 a year less than State Farm for my three cars (including the Karma).

·
Registered
829 Posts
It may have a lot to do with how loyal a customer you have been or how much other business you have with a particular insurance company. With a somewhat unusual car, they may be doing personalized underwriting.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
I had no cars with State Farm for years. Progressive would only insure based on the "declared" value since they had no history. Hartford had the VIN and rates already in their system. I was so surprised at the price that I call to be sure I was inputting the info. on their site -- it was. Some advantage to being over 55.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Allstate since day 1. Someone even totaled my car 2 months ago and their insurance wasn't enough to cover it so mine had to take over the claim. 20 days after they took my car, which wasn't really that bad, and I bought an almost new one with the allstate check and they told me my policy wouldn't go up. So far it hasn't and they wrote up the new one no questions asked. I pay about $120 per month, full coverage with $0 deductibles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts