Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just as a reminding note to everyone.

DO NOT THROW AWAY your CIUs!

I've been able to repair mine by cleaning the board and replacing a few components. My CIU first lost bluetooth, then started to get popping and static tones in the stereo intermittently, then eventually just went black randomly.

I took out the CIU, pulled the board, and found a puffed cap, as well as some corrosion. I cleaned off the corrosion and replaced a cap and a few other components. What I found with mine is that the water ingress caused a short which led to a spike that led to the cap and some resistors to essentially blow.

Once that happened, the trace leading to the input power for my bluetooth chip had no power.

Once I cleaned and replaced those components, my bluetooth came back to life.

The audio hum/static/popping noise I had was also due to the corrosion creating a ground loop. (Or so I thought).

After fixing everything else, the static/popping was still there. The hum was gone, but it was still annoying to listen to any audio in the car. So instead, I isolated the ground and added a suppressing circuit (resistor, diodes).

This eliminated any other issues I had with the CIU.

It is now working. Although I'll probably be replacing it with an Android Auto unit and physical HVAC / Heated Seat controls in the near future. I hate that stupid thing.

Also, based on my experience, "Water Intrusion Fix" did not remedy the solution. So look out for that. Mine had the fix performed twice by Fisker of Atlanta, and water still wicked itself down to the CIU. I'm willing to bet you have to do more to remedy this.

My solution isn't for everyone, but I'll share what I did.

I did two things:
1. Pulled out CIU, sealed the firewall entry from the inside with weatherstripping sealant (used a syringe to fill all the gaps I could see), and prayed it held.
2. Added a water block to the individual wires running to my CIU.

I performed both processes to try and fix this for good.

I also used weatherstrip sealant to attach my windshield weatherstrip (instead of double sided tape). I also added some gasketing around the HVAC opening to help raise the lip a bit and prevent water ingress from burning out that motor.

So far, I have been able to actually drive my car in the rain without fear. While I'm still cautious of rinsing the windshield, or running water into the cowl area while washing the car, I can say that I have been in some pretty substantial rain storms and the car hasn't had an issue.

But with that YMMV.

(Heres a good writeup on waterblocking cables and wires: ZipperTubing Waterblocking)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Send them!

Haha I have a box of about 20 wet ones, I should send them to you so you can have more fun...
I'd definitely be interested in seeing if my solution was unique, or if this is universal.

I'm sure some will be worse than others, but if I had some dead ones to test with, I wouldn't mind seeing if I could revive them.

Shoot me a PM if you are willing to send some along.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Now why didn't Karma just do that??

I would think @FiskerPhilly would be happy to pay you to take them off his hands.

During the most recent Karma event in Los Gatos, one of the Karma reps told us that they are looking for a company to refurbish the CIUs, which sounded like a great idea. Does not seem like they made a lot of progress.
Yeah, that's odd they didn't move forward with that. While some may be trash, at the very least they could harvest the good parts and use those to restore more CIUs.

Also, if anyone has a dead one laying around, I've had an idea for a capacitive touchscreen that could be cool if it works. Was going to do this on mine, but didnt have a mockup unit for test fits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts