Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of talk about an improved infotainment system for the 2012 Fisker Karma. I wanted to toss around a potential idea and get the owners feedback.

I have a few contacts at Alpine Electronics who we may be able to convince to create an aftermarket solution for the 2012 cars. Pricing would depend on volume.

The plan would be to use one of their existing Dash re-style systems (x009) deployed for other OEM's and create a solution for the 2012 vehicles. You can read about the features of this HU on their website.

http://alpine-usa.com/product

The screen would be 9 inch with physical buttons replacing the soft keys on the bottom of the bezel for Heated Seats, Defrost, Traction Control etc. Climate Control & Vehicle options would still be accessible via the touchscreen UI. Energy Flow would be replaced with an efficiency screen that would be customizable. If there is interest we can make the inquiry.

·
Early Adopter
1,263 Posts
There has been a lot of talk about an improved infotainment system for the 2012 Fisker Karma. I wanted to toss around a potential idea and get the owners feedback.

I have a few contacts at Alpine Electronics who we may be able to convince to create an aftermarket solution for the 2012 cars. Pricing would depend on volume.

The plan would be to use one of their existing Dash re-style systems (x009) deployed for other OEM's and create a solution for the 2012 vehicles. You can read about the features of this HU on their website.

http://alpine-usa.com/product

The screen would be 9 inch with physical buttons replacing the soft keys on the bottom of the bezel for Heated Seats, Defrost, Traction Control etc. Climate Control & Vehicle options would still be accessible via the touchscreen UI. Energy Flow would be replaced with an efficiency screen that would be customizable. If there is interest we can make the inquiry.
if it's faster, more reliable and is as shown -- i pay ~ 5k for it installed, but if fisker would just improve one and give it to us original owners as a sign of good will -- that would be grand!

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a great idea! How seamless would the fit be?

After some rough measuring it seems as if the 10 inch Silverado Alpine display will fit the existing display bezel without much modification (also the right depth). Very similar dimensions to the existing TPI.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-F4RAmbI3Qxt/p_500X110SLV/Alpine-X110-SLV-In-Dash-Restyle-System.html

If the larger display is preferable, a favorites menu could link to existing soft button functions.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
...improved infotainment system... potential idea and get the owners feedback.
Hi PowerSource. I would be interested only if new features were added, like proximity unlock, front camera w/recording (like the 'vette), automatic braking with existing radar, battery level indicator without starting the car etc.

I'm not sure if I would upgrade just for just a better interface.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great idea, especially paired with the Truck Accessory controller (KAC-001) which would allow control of all sorts of things from the touch screen...
Think you can get it to recognize stuff in the Fisker Canbus?

·
Registered
829 Posts
Yeah. Me too! The larger unit! (Though I would miss the see thru drawing of the Karma power transfer. :) ) What would it take to get you to program/install a unit in one of your cars and make a comprehensive video? Is that cost prohibitive?

·
Registered
889 Posts
This really would be great!!

To get Europe in, please check with them, whether they could deliver a European version, too:
- it's stated to have maps, covering US and Canada ... I normally don't take my Karma to this region
- Sirius should be disabled
- as the FM frequencies are slightly different, we'd need a fix
- what else??? Don't know, what FA had to develop alternatively, but our HW (e.g. CIU) is different

If this would work, I'd be in.

·
Registered
889 Posts
And for sure, German and Dutch language options might accelerate sales :)

And think of the main improvement

Powered and sourced by PowerSource

·
Registered
68 Posts
I prefer to keep my Fisker original. I hope that Fisker does some small tweaks about visibility. I just hope that your possible solution ( no bad feeling ) doesn't minimize the chances that Fisker comes with a free software upgrade...
But I love your work you do for keeping us riding PowerSource !!!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I don't think, that these two options will directly compete. These are two options, you could chose from... as it has been for decades with other cars.

KA could fix the software glitches and change colors for readability. I don't see real functional upgrades here.
Alpine would be a real extension (impressive list) and it would also give you actual maps (which I doubt for the KA SW solution)

Karma might speed up development, if they are already on it and if they want to earn some money with SW improvements.
If they did not start yet, I won't expect something in 2016, which emphasizes the need for the Alpine solution.

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The idea that is being kicked around is that an owner would source the Alpine X110-SLV or X110-SRA from a re-seller (some extra parts since the truck specific bezel + buttons are not needed) and we provide a lower cost TOM Conductor box + harness + mounting hardware which will interface the Alpine silverbox with the 2012 Fisker Karma.

With regards to EU maps, it should be possible to flash the unit with European specific maps (or any other world region) either through Alpine or a company like https://alpine.naviextras.com/. Will figure that piece out once we complete integration feasibility.

·
Early Adopter
1,263 Posts
The idea that is being kicked around is that an owner would source the Alpine X110-SLV or X110-SRA from a re-seller (some extra parts since the truck specific bezel + buttons are not needed) and we provide a lower cost TOM Conductor box + harness + mounting hardware which will interface the Alpine silverbox with the 2012 Fisker Karma.

With regards to EU maps, it should be possible to flash the unit with European specific maps (or any other world region) either through Alpine or a company like https://alpine.naviextras.com/. Will figure that piece out once we complete integration feasibility.
That sounds like a plan -- I assume you will do what you did with the tom initially and test it on one of your KARMAs and validate the proof of concept?

·
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That sounds like a plan -- I assume you will do what you did with the tom initially and test it on one of your KARMAs and validate the proof of concept?
Yes we will do extensive testing. The integration of the Alpine unit is more or less a mundane task of matching messages. The initial TOM was a much more complicated undertaking in that there is far more going on with the HCU and other sub-systems. TOM Conductor will mainly translate the Karma CAN messages to GM truck CAN messages. Maybe we will do a trip out to Cherry Hill again :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
This is one of the few mods that would be fun - but as I only keep a car a year or two before I get bored it would be tough to invest in it - but a great idea. Still like the bigger battery the best...

1 - 20 of 202 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.