Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any more tips on increasing the power of the EcoSport, specifically while in sport mode?

I'm making a rather major shift from a Pontiac Solstice to the Karma, and it's notable that the Karma is just a tad slower on 0-60. But, of course, the Solstice is 1,800lbs, though, where the Karma is, what, 5,200? So I'm not exactly shocked.

I don't imagine a cold air intake would have any impact (I'm not convinced that CAI makes a difference on any car, anyway), and I already read that you can't do much with the turbo. I'm sure it would help if I could remove about 1,000lbs, but that's a lot.

Any other suggestions to get that 0-60 down a little?

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
Its a function of weight and the output of the electric motor - I think. The ice performance has little to do with propulsion of the karma, it's a generators that I assume meets the duty cycle and power to generate enough electricity to juice up the battery to optimal levels during the acceleration process.

Given the healthy performance metrics of the electric motors, I would assume , the less weight , the faster you go ....... I'm giving it all she's got captain, but you gotta to lose some weight if you want to get to warp speed! ( throw in a Scottish accent for the last sentence) :)

·
Registered
888 Posts
As far as I know, tuning the ICE will only raise the electric power, to the Battery (if not over controlled by the electronics).

As the power for the electric motors comes exclusively from the HV battery, one has to modify this part.

As this would end up in draining more amps from the battery, you'd probably risk the maximum lifetime of your HV battery, which right now is not seen as a good idea...

Try you 0-60 downhill... The weight will help :)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
As far as I know, tuning the ICE will only raise the electric power, to the Battery (if not over controlled by the electronics).

As the power for the electric motors comes exclusively from the HV battery, one has to modify this part.

@Stefan, you are correct, but for the wrong reason. The drive power to the electric motors can come from the Generator, the Battery, or both. If you put the car in Sport mode with the battery charge above 50% (26 miles or higher indicated), you can get twice as much power to the motors than if you used the battery alone.

However, you are absolutely correct that increasing the power of the ICE will have absolutely no effect on the car's performance because the electronics currently limit the amount of power delivered to the motors, regardless of how much power is actually available. Also, the ICE never runs above 3600 RPM, which means it is not even generating all the power it can already generate and increasing the top end power available will not do anything for you.

This concept has been discussed ad nauseum in threads such as this, and this. I suggest reading some of these before making any attempts to tuning the ICE.

·
Registered
888 Posts
@Stefan, you are correct, but for the wrong reason. The drive power to the electric motors can come from the Generator, the Battery, or both. If you put the car in Sport mode with the battery charge above 50% (26 miles or higher indicated), you can get twice as much power to the motors than if you used the battery alone.

Thanks, Fab.
I did not know this...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts