Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Until recently, a full charge of 20kwh for my Karma took about 5.5 hours. Over the past month, this has been gradually increasing: 6 hours, 6.5 hours, a full 7 hours last night. Is anyone else experiencing this?

My dealer will be filing a case with Fisker Support for this problem when I take the car in for the 6.28 upgrade in about a week. In the meantime, I'm interested to know if any other owners have seen this behavior. I wonder if this is a manifestation of the manufacturing defect that caused the A123/Fisker battery replacement program. If so, I'll be getting my new battery very soon.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Haven't had any customer complain of this problem and even with the high voltage batteries that I've replaced they had no complaint of a charging issue .And I won't ask you any of those other questions I ask or advise I give to other since your right on top of problems .

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Harleyguy said:
Haven't had any customer complain of this problem and even with the high voltage batteries that I've replaced they had no complaint of a charging issue .And I won't ask you any of those other questions I ask or advise I give to other since your right on top of problems .
Dennis: I downloaded my charging record from Blink since I received the car and my charging events (0 Miles indicated to 50 Miles indicated) vary between 5:30 and 6:00 hours since I started charging the, car and I observed no trend in either direction in the data.

There is a behavior that may be having an impact on your issue. Looking at the charge data, you can see that during a single charging session the car charges up to full and stops, and then periodically wakes up but draws no power until it is unplugged. I suggest you download the Blink data in tabular form and look at the charging events to see if the car is drawing power each time it wakes up. If so, this would indicate that something on the car is running when it is not supposed to and dragging out the charge cycle.

Fisker thought that the charge history data was very useful in tracking down a different behavior that is fixed in 628 (VCM waking up every day), so there may be a similar issue with your car they can track with the same data.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It's also possible that changes in temperature-- either while charging, or even while the battery is discharging-- could affect charging kinetics (timing characteristics) enough to make a modest but noticeable difference in charging time. I doubt that could account for 1.5 hours of difference unless there was a major swing in temp-- but something to keep in mind. Is there a load on the battery during charging, such as the cooling fans, that is more persistent than before when charging took less time?

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
Dennis, I just recently noticed the same. I use the 110 volt charger. I noticed that the car keeps "Drinking" far longer now than before the 6.15 update. Honestly I just thought it was me. I have noticed that the cooling fans run much more now than in the past, but always shut down a minute or so after the car is shut down. I wonder if a change to the software has caused the car to take much longer to charge.

·
EX:Shadow/Canyon #324
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fabulist said:
Dennis: I downloaded my charging record from Blink since I received the car and my charging events (0 Miles indicated to 50 Miles indicated) vary between 5:30 and 6:00 hours since I started charging the, car and I observed no trend in either direction in the data.

There is a behavior that may be having an impact on your issue. Looking at the charge data, you can see that during a single charging session the car charges up to full and stops, and then periodically wakes up but draws no power until it is unplugged. I suggest you download the Blink data in tabular form and look at the charging events to see if the car is drawing power each time it wakes up. If so, this would indicate that something on the car is running when it is not supposed to and dragging out the charge cycle.

Fisker thought that the charge history data was very useful in tracking down a different behavior that is fixed in 628 (VCM waking up every day), so there may be a similar issue with your car they can track with the same data.
Attached is the charge data from my Blink charger. I've deleted all charges of less than 19.5 kwh.

From the data, prior to March 1 charging from empty was consuming 19.5-19.9 kwh and taking about 5 1/2 hours. Since then it is consuming 20-21.4 kwh and taking 6-7 hours.

I'm not sure if this can be explained by higher ambient temperatures causing the cooling fans to consume .5-1.5 kwh during the charging cycle.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Sounds like Fisker changed the charging algorithms (actually, even if you didn't update the SW around March 1, the algorithm could be adaptive). The Fisker regional service manager I spoke to yesterday did mention something about adjusting the battery column counting, but I didn't get into details.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
I just checked mine again, I use the convenience charger for my charging. IMHO its taking longer to charge and is using more energy in doing it. Hopefully that means that we're getting a "deeper" charge each time. Not a scientific measurement for sure, but the cord to my convenience charger never got hot, now its hot every time I check the car in the morning. It hot on the 110 volt side, not on the DC side. So it takes longer and the cord is noticably hotter.

By "deeper" charge, I'm hoping it means that the car doesn't drop 3 miles after the first 1/2 mile actual on the battery distance meter anymore. We'll see...

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Deep Ocean said:
By "deeper" charge, I'm hoping it means that the car doesn't drop 3 miles after the first 1/2 mile actual on the battery distance meter anymore. We'll see...
I don't think the drop in range is a function of the battery, but more a quirk of the algorithm that converts battery charge to range. If it is using average power consumption (KWH/Mile), before you set off, the consumption is zero and the range appears infinite since you are dividing by zero, so it just shows 50 Miles without doing any math. Once you get rolling and the battery state of charge starts to change, there is some actual data and the computer can start making calculations. The more you drive, the more stable the average consumption figure becomes and the closer the estimate gets to the real world and the conditions you happen to be driving in. The same thing happens to the trip MPG number in ICE-powered cars. When you first set off, they change very rapidly but as your trip continues, they tend to settle down and show a more accurate figure.

At least, that's how I think it works.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts