Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today the ICE came on when I had a full battery, was going slow (looking for an address) and going up hill. It went back into stealth after I came to a stop light, a few minutes later.

This has happened before a couple of times lately; the ICE coming on when I was going up a steep hill. Today I was going slow, but the other times I was probably going around 30-40 mph.

I don't remember this happening before the last month or so. Is this normal? Or has something gotten out of sync with my battery/engine?

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Did your range hold or was it dropping. Have you noticed any other loss of range while driving or total range lower than typical for your car? Or any check engine or other warning lights. A battery module starting to drop out could cause the GEN to come on if the battery anticipates too rapid of voltage loss. This would be most evident under high load such as hill especially with AC on etc. Doesn't explain the low speed crawl when it came on. Could also be a random OBD2 test of an emissions component that the ecm is performing. If no lights on, I'd just keep an eye on it.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I notice after I park on any type of hill/grade, the ice will kick on right after I start the vehicle, and will stay for the normal amount of time during a fuel fillup....this has happened since day one.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
I notice after I park on any type of hill/grade, the ice will kick on right after I start the vehicle, and will stay for the normal amount of time during a fuel fillup....this has happened since day one.
I'm not a mechanic, so I probably shouldn't be posting... but your symptoms sure point to whatever sensor turns on the ICE when one accidentally opens the gas cap. I would bet it is either your gas cap sensor or you have overfilled your gas tank.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did your range hold or was it dropping. Have you noticed any other loss of range while driving or total range lower than typical for your car? Or any check engine or other warning lights. ........... If no lights on, I'd just keep an eye on it.
Thanks! The range did hold, and no other range loss other than from normal driving. I do have the check engine light, all the time, when I turn the car on, but not turned on to drive. (Press start without brake depressed). As the CEL is not present when I turn the car on to drive, I haven't worried much about it.

I will keep an eye on it as advised. It may well be the coincidence of an emissions test and I have just happened to be on a hill at the same time the last few occurrences. Unlike sunny Florida, Seattle is a hilly place.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Normal for the check engine light to be on with ignition in accessory position (button lit in Yellow not green and "acc" displayed on instrument cluster below speed.
As far as ICE running during or after fillup, its a normal function as well. Federal emissions standards mandate vehicles must check themselves to be sure the gas cap is secured. Most cars do this by applying pressure or vacuum to the fuel tank and measures pressure. If cap is off, no pressure. The only way to know when to test is after you trip the fuel door. This tells the computer you just filled up, check the cap. Thus the engine starts and it runs emissions checks.
Sorry for the long winded explanation but hope it makes sense.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks! Very helpful, although in this case I had not seen a gas station or touched the gas cap for 3-4 months. I think that the engine does go on sometimes just to stir up the gas or something, so that is probably what happened, and just the last couple of times on a hill which made me suspicious. That dang engine is so noisy, it is quite noticeable when going at slow speeds.

Thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Karma or any other car that uses a gas engine does a self check of the emissions some companies use a pump to put the gas tank into vacuum and the ECM checks for how fast the rate of leakage is. Some use vacuum of the engine to run the test . Most common these days is what's called a LDP pump . Working for Volvo who uses them I've changed tons of them over the years Jaguar uses the same pump which also has I high failure rate .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts