Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I nearly drive my fisher with the ICE on and I read in some threads that the ICE also charges the 12V batterie. as I have read that a dead 12V is very unpleasant I want to buy a charging device for the 12V. can somebody recommend one and will I be able to but it int the right way at the 12V?

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I nearly drive my fisher with the ICE on and I read in some threads that the ICE also charges the 12V batterie. as I have read that a dead 12V is very unpleasant I want to buy a charging device for the 12V. can somebody recommend one and will I be able to but it int the right way at the 12V?
@Rabbit, There has been a fair amount of discussion on this topic, for example here. The short answer is that the ICE does not have an alternator and cannot charge the 12 V battery. The HV battery actually charges the 12V battery through a DC-DC converter.

You are absolutely correct that a dead 12V battery is a really nasty problem. The only time you have a serious risk of having a dead battery is if you store the car for long periods of time (winter in Switzerland, for example) without turning it on regularly. So if you plan to do that, you may want to buy and connect a trickle charger or battery tender, such as this one http://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SP3-Automatic-Extender-Maintainer/dp/B00752TRP0 to keep the 12 V battery topped up in storage.

If you are using the car every day, or at least once a week, I don't think you need to worry about the 12V battery being damaged. Only if the car is stored for a very long period of time without a battery tender. For more tips on storage, see this thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts