Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just an observation: Have been driving for months in Stealth with a full tank of gas and rarely had the ICE kick in, then did a road trip that took me down to 1/2 a tank and since then, the ICE kicks in for 5 minutes every week.

So I filled up the tank to the top and what do you know, the ICE rarely starts now. I wonder if the air in the tank triggers the automatic ICE systems more than we realize.

Hope this solves the problem for those of you who hate the ICE kicking in as much as I do.

VK

·
Registered
272 Posts
Replace the evap that will fix the problem. I had the same issue about a year ago.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Should I use a gas additive or???

I've gone 3000 miles on about 3 gallons of gas since April, and wondering if I should add something to the gas so it keeps better, or top it off, or something. At this rate, it will be a year before I'd fill up again. I use the highest octane premium chevron gas generally, as suggested by my old Ferrari mechanic... But that car never had a problem sipping gas slowly the way the Fisker does.

I suspect this issue has been addressed elsewhere, so please help point me in that direction. I guess I am getting too good of gas mileage :)

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I've gone 3000 miles on about 3 gallons of gas since April, and wondering if I should add something to the gas so it keeps better, or top it off, or something. At this rate, it will be a year before I'd fill up again. I use the highest octane premium chevron gas generally, as suggested by my old Ferrari mechanic... But that car never had a problem sipping gas slowly the way the Fisker does.

I suspect this issue has been addressed elsewhere, so please help point me in that direction. I guess I am getting too good of gas mileage :)
You are correct. This discussion pops up now and again. Search for the word "Stabil" (which as I am sure you know is a brand of gas stabilizer) and you will find the threads. This one is directly on point.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK going to put her in for scheduled service and deal with some other minor issues. When you say replace the EVAP, what does that entail exactly? Will I need to order parts? Have noticed the ICE kicking in more often lately and the check engine light coming on. Thanks for the helpful replies everyone.
- VK

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Evap canister or commonly known as charcoal canister. It stores vented fuel vapors from the tank by absorbing them with charcoal then this stored fuel gets purged periodically back through the engine. There is a shut off valve attached to it that opens and closes the vent to atmosphere. This is typically what fails and causes a check engine light if its a permanent fault or may cause the ICE to keep coming on to test its integrity.
Yes parts need to be ordered its a couple hours labor. Located in rear bumper(buried above OBCM).
I did 2 this week so yes they are common.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This may be a stupid question and not for this thread, but, I need to get a state inspection for my Karma. We have to get emissions checked but I don't know how to get the ICE to turn on manually. If it is parked and I switch to sport, the ICE doesn't automatically turn on. I feel pretty sure that the inspection tech will probably not know anything about the Karma and I want to be able to turn the ICE on for him to check the tailpipe probe. If anybody has advice as to how to turn on the ICE with a charge left in the battery, I'd appreciate the information.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Put car in sport mode, in "D" then hold brake and push accelerator pedal to floor quickly and ICE will run for a period long enough for emissions analyzer to scan. I have to do it all the time for Pennsylvania emissions inspection.
1 stipulation, hv battery cant be fully charged,ICE will not come on.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Put car in sport mode, in "D" then hold brake and push accelerator pedal to floor quickly and ICE will run for a period long enough for emissions analyzer to scan. I have to do it all the time for Pennsylvania emissions inspection.
1 stipulation, hv battery cant be fully charged,ICE will not come on.
Thanks Joe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts