Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

No i do not own it yet, but i want it. I hear a lot of people say, Fisker cannot be trusted, it is a crap car. But they all say one thing, it is a b-a-utiful car.

I think the same! 408 Horse Power, can drive 20 kilomter on 1 liter petrol.

What i am seeking are the horror stories and the success story's. People that have driven the car for 20.000 Kilometers or more.

Do you have a horror story, please tell me, if you have driven a lot of miles, please tell me. And maybe i will by the car 2 years from now, secoend hand that is.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I've put 13,000 happy miles on mine (in the last 18 months) I drive it more days a week than not. I take it to Cars & Coffee and other shows, and it is always one of the "Belles at the Ball"! And it has a great story. I have a new 2-year warranty, and my car checked out 100%. Mine happens to be a late VIN, which helps.

The Karma is different than any other car out there. It's such a very different drive that is smooth and fast and quiet ... and beautiful! I always say it's like dating a super model. You'll may put up with a little crap, but it's totally worth it. Getting a good general understanding how the car works will help you get the most out of it. EG: Learning techniques like always using the "Hill Mode" paddle to "downshift" as you come to a stop will maximize your power recoup from the re-gen braking. I consistently get around 200 mpg in my normal use of the car.

There were only around 2700 cars made -- and so there are some quirks that can pop up. The first couple thousand Teslas also had serious problems. All of the dangerous ones are fixed and well known. And pretty much all the cars out there have had the recalls applied.

But, there are minor things. EG: Mine will occasionally (twice a month) pop up the Check Engine Light because the computer is sensitive about minor variations in the battery module voltages. The light will eventually clear itself (after 3 starts/stops) or I can check it & clear the codes immediately with my phone & a blue tooth OBD scanner. Takes 20 seconds to confirm it's the usual codes and clear them.

The new Karma Automotive has given us 3 software updates that corrected several issues and help protect the car from being able to over-stress it's own differential. And, parts are pretty well available (at least in the U.S.) But, as an owner, you learn the right ways to "baby it" in order to avoid the some annoying situations. Like, it's a good idea to wait (45 seconds) until it fully shuts down before you plug it into a charger. It might work if you don't wait, but it will for sure if you wait. The Karma is a rolling computer and occasionally, like on any computer, a program can "lock up" once in a while (nothing dangerous, but maybe the satellite radio won't work). Shutting it down & restarting usually fixes most things. The new ones KA will be making later this year will probably fix all of these quirks of the 2012 models.

In my car, it causes fewer nagging issues if (for example) I wait and let it "wake up" (boot) after I open the door far enough to show me the battery charge level before I try to start it. And then, I let it fully "start" (finish painting the dash dials) before you press the "Acknowledge" button on the touch screen or try to put it in gear. Taking a few extra seconds & being patient seems to keep my car from giving me odd computer behaviors. If I rush, sometimes the radio won't initialize right. And, then I have to shut the car off and wait 45 seconds for it to go completely asleep and start the start-up process all over again (or drive in silence). So, I've just learned not to rush. I have a small mental "startup" checklist. If I do it right, I don't have problems. (At least not often enough to make me not love my car!)

Living near a Certified Service Provider is a huge plus. When something odd happens, it's nice to know if it's serious or not. Most often, it has not been on mine.

I bought mine during the dark times when Fisker was gone and Karma Automotive was just a possible rumor. Now I have support, parts, information, updates, and a new warranty. So things have only ever gone from scary to better and better for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankyou for the great reply

That is lovely to hear, i am planning to buy the car second hand. And i hear a lot of bad things about the electric motors. How much does it cost to replace them?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
That is lovely to hear, i am planning to buy the car second hand. And i hear a lot of bad things about the electric motors. How much does it cost to replace them?
If you buy a cerfied used car from an authorized provider (e.g., @FiskerPhilly or @Harleyguy), you will get a full warranty for two years and will not have to worry about the cost of replacing any major components. Otherwise, it is a fairly pricey repair, depending on what else needs to be done (e.g., RDM) at the same time.

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
@JCMorrill I do not wait to charge my Karma. You have owned the car longer than me and have experienced some of the Fisker pain. I am a new owner on the 530 update and I have had no issue getting out of the car and plugging it in to my L2 charger.

I love the car and my biggest issue right now is I would like better interior ambient lighting. Easy fix I guess. I do find I get 40 maybe 44 miles from the 50 miles full charge. I have #2655

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you buy a cerfied used car from an authorized provider (e.g., @FiskerPhilly or @Harleyguy), you will get a full warranty for two years and will not have to worry about the cost of replacing any major components. Otherwise, it is a fairly pricey repair, depending on what else needs to be done (e.g., RDM) at the same time.
I' am beginning to realize that, i will ponder on this post. Thankyou! :dodgy:

·
Registered
829 Posts
@JCMorrill I do not wait to charge my Karma. You have owned the car longer than me and have experienced some of the Fisker pain. I am a new owner on the 530 update and I have had no issue getting out of the car and plugging it in to my L2 charger.

I love the car and my biggest issue right now is I would like better interior ambient lighting. Easy fix I guess. I do find I get 40 maybe 44 miles from the 50 miles full charge. I have #2655
Running the A/C will diminish your mileage. I find if I downshift with the Hill Mode regularly when coming to a stop, I get closer to 50 for city driving.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts

Did you turn off the parade setting on the interior lighting tab in the settings menu so that the cabin ambient lights come on? This will turn on the amber back lighting on the floors and all the glass panels/cupholders etc will illuminate while driving

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
Did you turn off the parade setting on the interior lighting tab in the settings menu so that the cabin ambient lights come on? This will turn on the amber back lighting on the floors and all the glass panels/cupholders etc will illuminate while driving
WHAT! I am going to try this, I wonder what that meant or did. Will try this.

·
Registered
859 Posts
I know YH4K14AA0CA002680 exists, but I don't know if it's the last of the 2012s.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi to all, new member, on the cusp of buying. Cannot find anywhere an answer to the following:
If the battery mileage is gone, and the gasoline engine begins charging the batteries to continue driving, a) is it seamless, and b) will the gas engine ONLY supply enough to drive, or will it additionally charge up the battery so that, for example, after highway drive, and arriving at urban destination, there will be "new" battery level to allow silent driving? Or does it ONLY supply enough to drive, and you have to wait until home to plug in? Many thanks,

·
Registered
888 Posts
Hi and welcome.

The short form:
1. It is seamless
2. The ice always (recharged to the level it had, while activated, and it does it only to the maximum of 60% of the max miles. In your case, you won't get extra mileage.

If I'm on a highway, I go into sports mode to safe e milage for city areas (stop n go). later I go back to stealth mode as soon, as my battery milage is about 120% of the miles to my destination.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Hi to all, new member, on the cusp of buying. Cannot find anywhere an answer to the following:
If the battery mileage is gone, and the gasoline engine begins charging the batteries to continue driving, a) is it seamless, and b) will the gas engine ONLY supply enough to drive, or will it additionally charge up the battery so that, for example, after highway drive, and arriving at urban destination, there will be "new" battery level to allow silent driving? Or does it ONLY supply enough to drive, and you have to wait until home to plug in? Many thanks,
A STOCK Karma does not ever let the ICE take the Stealth miles up. In SPORT mode, it will only let the ICE "maintain" your stealth miles where they are as long as they were when you engaged sport mode so long as you are at 27 or less. (Above that, it will let them fall at about half the normal rate until you're down to 27.) If you have been cruising a while in SPORT (so that the engine has had a chance to replace the charge from acceleration), and then strongly brake (especially down a hill), the Stealth miles might pop up BY 1 MILE from the ReGen braking. And, you can "lock that mile in" (make the ICE start maintaining it there) by briefly popping off Sport Mode and immediately popping it back on to make it "memorize" the new Stealth level to maintain.
@PowerSource makes an after market device called a TOM unit that can override the stock programming and gives you some extra modes that would let you charge the battery from the engine while sitting still -- or while driving.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts