Fisker Buzz Forums banner

I broke the NAV Lady's "watch your speed" feature

5K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Fabulist 
#1 ·
I was enjoying a nice drive home yesterday evening and was momentarily distracted and allowed my speed drift close to the max speed limit I had set in the NAV system (easy thing to do in a Karma). Next thing I know, the music mutes out in anticipation of a speed warning, but it never comes and the music stayed muted. When I switched to the NAV system, I saw this error message, which was an entirely new one for me:

The rest of the NAV system continued to work underneath the big error message, so the problem was specifically in the voice module. She was back in fine form this morning and nagging me about speed, so it was a transient problem. But at least now we know her real name: MS. SSP_SO.EXE. It's nice to finally and formally meet you. :)

See less See more
#4 ·
drliu said:
No wonder the command center is slow and somewhat buggy-- it's Windows driven :)
This subject was discussed at length back in December and it appears that that although the interface looks like Windows, it is actually not. Here is a copy of my post from 12/19:

Visteon makes the infotainment for Fisker and they claim that the system is based on the "Visteon's advanced infotainment platform" This platform, according to Visteon is developed "using open architecture and open source software to GENIVI standards." GENIVI claims to be "a non-profit industry alliance committed to driving the broad adoption of an In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) open-source development platform." According to GENIVI's FAQ, "The GENIVI open-source platform consists of Linux-based core services, middleware and open application layer interfaces."

Yes, I know that Visteon is providing the user applications such as NAV, but at least the system core is Linux-based and the APIs are open so if someone wanted to develop their own custom Apps, they can interface to the system.

So we can't beat up on Fisker for using Windows, just for releasing buggy and unreliable Linux-based software.

#5 ·
Fabulist said:
drliu said:
No wonder the command center is slow and somewhat buggy-- it's Windows driven :)
This subject was discussed at length back in December and it appears that that although the interface looks like Windows, it is actually not. Here is a copy of my post from 12/19:

Visteon makes the infotainment for Fisker and they claim that the system is based on the "Visteon's advanced infotainment platform" This platform, according to Visteon is developed "using open architecture and open source software to GENIVI standards." GENIVI claims to be "a non-profit industry alliance committed to driving the broad adoption of an In-Vehicle Infotainment (IVI) open-source development platform." According to GENIVI's FAQ, "The GENIVI open-source platform consists of Linux-based core services, middleware and open application layer interfaces."

Yes, I know that Visteon is providing the user applications such as NAV, but at least the system core is Linux-based and the APIs are open so if someone wanted to develop their own custom Apps, they can interface to the system.

So we can't beat up on Fisker for using Windows, just for releasing buggy and unreliable Linux-based software.
Well, they're clearly running Windows software as well, perhaps through WINE or something similar.

#6 ·
I had the same error message last week. First time. I am on 6.28
Also I had another error: Access violation after which the nav system reboots. It then shows a daylight screen rather than the night screen that we normally get. I tried to find the daylight screen in the menu but it is not available. Obviously it stored somewhere but not accessible.

#7 ·
my recommendation is replace the system with an android system on an LG Galaxy and call it a day -- we get google maps with turn by turn, icon for each functional area and nice android apps for the functional components. They just need to pick better companies to do the work.

maybe the Atlantic will fare better ;-)

#8 ·
Well, thats a windows CE error, propably 6.0. I cant imagine anyone running wine on a linbox so they can run windows in it to run exe's,that would explain the laggines of it tho. They propably just dont want you to know its a crappy win CE because its too easy to crack.

#9 ·
Nin ja said:
my recommendation is replace the system with an android system on an LG Galaxy and call it a day -- we get google maps with turn by turn, icon for each functional area and nice android apps for the functional components. They just need to pick better companies to do the work.

I'm sure Fisker will introduce a better navigation system for the Karma in one of the upcoming model years, and nothing should stop it from updating older cars along with one of the software updates. That's the big advantage of a car with so much software on board. I was told the car can only get better over the years.

#10 ·
Dutch said:
Nin ja said:

I'm sure Fisker will introduce a better navigation system for the Karma in one of the upcoming model years, and nothing should stop it from updating older cars along with one of the software updates. That's the big advantage of a car with so much software on board. I was told the car can only get better over the years.
Well that's true in part - although we heard from the VP of Engineering Gary Horvat that the Command Center sluggishness is a hardware issue - processor is too slow. We should all push Fisker to make retrofits available to 2012MY Karmas - that would dramatically enhance or user experience with the Karma!

#11 ·
SoCalGuy said:
Dutch said:
Nin ja said:

Well that's true in part - although we heard from the VP of Engineering Gary Horvat that the Command Center sluggishness is a hardware issue - processor is too slow. We should all push Fisker to make retrofits available to 2012MY Karmas - that would dramatically enhance or user experience with the Karma!
If they change out the Command Center displays I would also hope they would change the LCD polarization so that it was compatible with polarized dark glasses. It's currently off by about 45 degrees.

#12 ·
Agree with the comment below about changing the polarization angle of the LCD display!

Also since we know Fisker reads this board: I'm sure I'm not alone among 2012 Karma owners who would be willing to pay a reasonable upgrade fee to improve the performance (and decrease the bugginess, which I suspect is related to performance issues) of the command center.

[/quote]
If they change out the Command Center displays I would also hope they would change the LCD polarization so that it was compatible with polarized dark glasses. It's currently off by about 45 degrees.

[/quote]

#13 ·
drliu said:
Agree with the comment below about changing the polarization angle of the LCD display!

Also since we know Fisker reads this board: I'm sure I'm not alone among 2012 Karma owners who would be willing to pay a reasonable upgrade fee to improve the performance (and decrease the bugginess, which I suspect is related to performance issues) of the command center.
Yes, although the wrong-polarization is obviously "their fault" I'd still pay for an upgraded command-center with proper screen and better performance. I'm not sure what a "reasonable fee" would come out to, though. The display alone looks like it would be sub-$100 in "reasonable quantities" but add in labor etc and I think breakeven cost would be over $250.

#14 ·
I hate to rain on the parade, but the command center computer is not necessarily the same unit as the LCD display. It could be a remote unit. Anyone know?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.