Fisker Buzz Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I know this is an old post but thank you so much Harlyguy for the amazingly detailed info. I just bought my Fisker this week. And the first problem I've noticed is no matter what I do on the AC screen, the air only comes out through the defroster vent. I'll drop the glove box and see if anything is obviously wrong with the motor. Other than that, do you have any suggestions?
Is the shade concept unique to Fisker? Or would a automotive AC person be able to figure this out?
Thanks!!
You need a new HVAC unit and possably the HVAC computer depending on VIN.
The aftermarket will have no idea how to replace the HVAC unit better find someone who can service the Karma and i can assure the repair is going to be very high around $2100.00 give or take a few hundred

·
Registered
7 Posts
You need a new HVAC unit and possably the HVAC computer depending on VIN.
The aftermarket will have no idea how to replace the HVAC unit better find someone who can service the Karma and i can assure the repair is going to be very high around $2100.00 give or take a few hundred
Not questioning your knowledge but is there no way that it can be something simpler than replacing the whole unit? It blows cold air - just not out the a/c vents.
Is there a way to manually adjust the shade so that the air comes out the main a/c vents all the time?

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Your shade is probably torn and need replacing. The early cars had a unit that was not programmable. If you have the dash out and if you have the old unit, get it all fixed once. Take it from a guy that have had to have it done twice.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Not questioning your knowledge but is there no way that it can be something simpler than replacing the whole unit? It blows cold air - just not out the a/c vents.
Is there a way to manually adjust the shade so that the air comes out the main a/c vents all the time?
Only two choices replace the whole unit or replace the broken shade nothing else can be done in order to get the unit working correctly. And since the whole unit has to be removed in order to replace the shade might as well replace the whole unit and not take a chance of installing the shade incorrectly .
Not even sure if the whole unit is still available from Fisker i know I still have two in stock.

·
Registered
1 Posts
With all the posts about HVAC problems I figured I would do a post and try to explain the parts of the HVAC unit with pictures. The way the system works when you first open the door the shade moves into a ready mode. If you hear a squeaking noise that’s the shade moving. When you select where you want the air to come out from the shade moves and blocks the air vents that you don’t want air and the shade has an opening in it and let’s air out the vent you requested air from. The blends doors just blend cold air or how air to the vents the shade is adjusted too. The heater core and the air conditioning evaporator are almost on top of each other so you get a good mix of air. I’m not sure at this point why the units are failing when they default to air from all vents if the shade is damaged of coarse that will cause it .I tested the shade motor on this unit and the motor is good and didn’t see anything obvious that caused the problem. As for the blends doors if the glove box is removed you can access the blend door motor and shade motor they can be removed and you can use a screwdriver and manual work the doors to see if they are sticking just remember the position the door was in before you reinstall the motor . As far as gaining access to the driver’s side blend motor I’ve haven’t tried that.
I hope this kind of explains how the system works it’s just a basic over view I have a lot more pictures if anyone would like to see another part just post the request to the thread
This is the complete unit how it would look facing into the car.

Drivers side blend door motor that controls heat or cold on the driver’s side

This is the passenger side blend door motor and the motor that controls where the air comes out I call it the shade. The lower motor is the shade motor .The shade is what you hear when the car wakes up when you first open the door.

These are the four damper motors the car only uses four

This is what the shade looks like when it fails it rips one of the reasons you get air flow out of all the vents

This is what the shade should look like when it works properly

Heater Core

Evaporator

Blend door on side drivers closed

Complete unit all apart

This is the REC motor

How the Rec door looks closed and that would be going against the firewall
My pleasure
I was wondering if you can give me some information on my 2012 Fisker, the CIU is working fine but the a/c and heat prompts are not working, the blower motor will not come on and the temp won’t change but the fan prompt is moving fine.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts