Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With all the posts about HVAC problems I figured I would do a post and try to explain the parts of the HVAC unit with pictures. The way the system works when you first open the door the shade moves into a ready mode. If you hear a squeaking noise that’s the shade moving. When you select where you want the air to come out from the shade moves and blocks the air vents that you don’t want air and the shade has an opening in it and let’s air out the vent you requested air from. The blends doors just blend cold air or how air to the vents the shade is adjusted too. The heater core and the air conditioning evaporator are almost on top of each other so you get a good mix of air. I’m not sure at this point why the units are failing when they default to air from all vents if the shade is damaged of coarse that will cause it .I tested the shade motor on this unit and the motor is good and didn’t see anything obvious that caused the problem. As for the blends doors if the glove box is removed you can access the blend door motor and shade motor they can be removed and you can use a screwdriver and manual work the doors to see if they are sticking just remember the position the door was in before you reinstall the motor . As far as gaining access to the driver’s side blend motor I’ve haven’t tried that.
I hope this kind of explains how the system works it’s just a basic over view I have a lot more pictures if anyone would like to see another part just post the request to the thread
This is the complete unit how it would look facing into the car.

Drivers side blend door motor that controls heat or cold on the driver’s side

This is the passenger side blend door motor and the motor that controls where the air comes out I call it the shade. The lower motor is the shade motor .The shade is what you hear when the car wakes up when you first open the door.

These are the four damper motors the car only uses four

This is what the shade looks like when it fails it rips one of the reasons you get air flow out of all the vents

This is what the shade should look like when it works properly

Heater Core

Evaporator

Blend door on side drivers closed

Complete unit all apart

This is the REC motor

How the Rec door looks closed and that would be going against the firewall

·
Registered
272 Posts
WOW! Harleyguy thanks for all the detail.. looks like you put some work in to this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for the great info! So is that heater core the electric heater unit?

I've basically never gotten heat when in stealth mode, although my dealer tried to fix it last winter. It just blows cold air no matter what temperature is set. Fortunately, I live in Phoenix, so it doesn't get all that cold, and if it is really cold, I can just switch to sport mode and get heat from the engine (I assume).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The electric heater unit is under the hood, directly under the battery coolant reservoir (which is the one in the center).

·
Registered
105 Posts
This helps. Thanks! Is the shade supposed to move under several and be attached to the last spool? Is there a coil spring there? or another motor for the other direction? I think I may need to take my dash partially apart. It already rattles and the light curcuits are reversed for the cabin and the glove box (you open the glove box and the footwell light comes on. you open the door and you can see the light in the glovebox shining through the cracks...lol). This assembly takes a whole day to remove, right?...hmmm.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This helps. Thanks! Is the shade supposed to move under several and be attached to the last spool? Is there a coil spring there? or another motor for the other direction? I think I may need to take my dash partially apart. It already rattles and the light curcuits are reversed for the cabin and the glove box (you open the glove box and the footwell light comes on. you open the door and you can see the light in the glovebox shining through the cracks...lol). This assembly takes a whole day to remove, right?...hmmm.
Yes it's a really big job I will post some pictures of the car with the unit removed it may make you sick what the interior looks like with it removed . The other question you are correct the shade goes under one roller then to the roller on the end and yes the damper motor control which direction the shade moves

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm having the same problem - no heat in Stealth mode. Should I not be looking at the HVAC for the solution? Is the electric heater a separate unit?

What's the usual repair for this problem? My Karma is going in for OBCM repair soon, so I'd like to get this done at the same time. Thanks!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Funny, I have the opposite problem (sometimes) in that I only get heat in Sport mode. If I switch the HVAC off and on a few times, that usually snaps it back into functioning correctly. Anybody else see this behavior or more importantly - know of a permanent fix?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sandy, that's not the opposite, it's the same. No heat in stealth mode. How do you switch off/on the HVAC - just through the CIU?
You might be right. I very rarely try to turn on the heat so I wouldn't know if the heat works in Stealth mode or not. Here's what happens though, I'm driving along in Stealth mode with the A/C set to 70dF (cool air blowing)...I pop Sport mode on and then all I get is warm air.

In the version of the CIU SW I have, there is an on/off button on-screen. I can't recall now if this button exists in the normal SW that most folks have.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm having the same problem - no heat in Stealth mode. Should I not be looking at the HVAC for the solution? Is the electric heater a separate unit?

What's the usual repair for this problem? My Karma is going in for OBCM repair soon, so I'd like to get this done at the same time. Thanks!
Fisker put out a bulletin on this, I'd try installing the updated Thermostatic Valve that's supposed to fix it before trying anything else.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The snow flake on the touch screen turns the AC compressor off and on . And all the touch screens are the same.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The snow flake on the touch screen turns the AC compressor off and on . And all the touch screens are the same.
They're only all the same if you deny the existence of the never officially released CIU update. I have an on/off button on my climate control interface.

·
Early Adopter
1,256 Posts
You might find an official release of that software very soon.;)
I hope you not kidding, the CIU could use a refresh -- btw, in the new CUI, will the disgnotic screen stay on the error condition until one select close windows, or does it work like it does now, show the error and then closes on it's own?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Shade problems

I know this is an old post but thank you so much Harlyguy for the amazingly detailed info. I just bought my Fisker this week. And the first problem I've noticed is no matter what I do on the AC screen, the air only comes out through the defroster vent. I'll drop the glove box and see if anything is obviously wrong with the motor. Other than that, do you have any suggestions?
Is the shade concept unique to Fisker? Or would a automotive AC person be able to figure this out?
Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts