Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Coming in April
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developing and improving repair methods, diagnostic methods, parts catalogue, service literature, special tooling and inventory to completely support existing Karma batteries for the years to come through the authorized service network. YES, battery packs will be available. YES, individual battery modules will be available. The Karma battery service program will launch well before year-end.

Attachments

·
Registered
886 Posts
Wow. These are the next good news! Wanxiang owns a123 and has a lot of other battery stuff... Would be nice to get the option for mor capacity.
Any plans in this direction?

·
Coming in April
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow. These are the next good news! Wanxiang owns a123 and has a lot of other battery stuff... Would be nice to get the option for mor capacity.
Any plans in this direction?
Lots of plans and driving prototypes. Stay tuned till later this year for updates.

·
Registered
334 Posts
@KARMANEWS - thanks for posting these updates and all of the other new threads. Please keep the updates flowing, we are eating up the exciting news!

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
@KARMANEWS, this is better news than anything I was expecting, even in my wildest dreams. I still own the Karma I put $5K down on in January, 2008. It's been a long wild ride and the excitement continues. Can't wait to see how this all plays out. Keep up the good work.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Great news! Thanks for all of the positive updates KARMANEWS!!

·
Early Adopter
1,255 Posts
you have our eyes and ears, and most of all, you have tapped our passion with hope - thank you

·
Coming in April
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you have our eyes and ears, and most of all, you have tapped our passion with hope - thank you
Most definitely share the passion ! There are currently already close to 200 people (and lots more at the supply base) working 'stupid' hours to resurrect/improve/rebuilt/beautify/recreate a dream that started a few years back and deserves to live again and then some.....

·
Early Adopter
1,255 Posts
Most definitely share the passion ! There are currently already close to 200 people (and lots more at the supply base) working 'stupid' hours to resurrect/improve/rebuilt/beautify/recreate a dream that started a few years back and deserves to live again and then some.....
RIGHT ON!!!!!! I have not lost faith --- Give the KARMA it's day in the sun -- Art with Pride!

·
Registered
108 Posts
A ray of sunshine in this storm we have been adrift in....
Thank You!

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I finally bought a Karma for my garage. Gorgeous car, beautiful lines (Inferno/Dune--only 8k miles), but understandably there are issues that I am aware I'd have to deal with. I am a gear head, but some of this is foreign with the hybrid/electric stuff.

The HV battery: mine appears to have been replaced in September of 2012. But I do not know where to find the serial number nevertheless. I noticed my check engine light came on, and so I performed the soft reboot which did not work, but then performed a hard reboot of which cleared the check engine light (unplugged the connector, waited a minute, plugged back in, lock and unlock doors). The car takes about 11 hours for a full charge and that appears to be typical and thus can I assume the check engine light is a false positive? If it were the HV battery, wouldn't I see slower charging times or rapid depletion of the battery when in stealth mode?

Thanks! New to the Karma.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
So I finally bought a Karma for my garage. Gorgeous car, beautiful lines (Inferno/Dune--only 8k miles), but understandably there are issues that I am aware I'd have to deal with. I am a gear head, but some of this is foreign with the hybrid/electric stuff.
Congratulations and welcome to the Fisker community. By long standing tradition, I have to ask you to post a few photos of your new acquisition when you get a few minutes. We never get tired of looking at photos of Karmas, our own or others'. Also, the Search option on the forum is a great tool to find out information that has been discussed before, particularly the pearls of wisdom that have been provided by our resident experts over the years.

The HV battery: mine appears to have been replaced in September of 2012. But I do not know where to find the serial number nevertheless. I noticed my check engine light came on, and so I performed the soft reboot which did not work, but then performed a hard reboot of which cleared the check engine light (unplugged the connector, waited a minute, plugged back in, lock and unlock doors).
The check engine light (also referred to as MIL or CEL) comes on for a variety of reasons and clearing it with a hard reboot wipes out the codes stored by the module that requested the light, and is not the best way to turn the light off. It would be better to get an OBDII code reader to download the codes and clear them using the scanner. The codes you get from a generic scanner are not very precise, but they could be informative based on our collective prior experience. It's also a lot easier and less traumatic to the car to clear the MIL using the scanner than by doing a hard reboot.

As for the serial number, etc. I think a CSP like @FiskerPhilly or @Harleyguy can use a Fisker diagnostic computer to get the information without having to drop the battery out of the car, which is a bit of a production.

The car takes about 11 hours for a full charge and that appears to be typical and thus can I assume the check engine light is a false positive? If it were the HV battery, wouldn't I see slower charging times or rapid depletion of the battery when in stealth mode?
11 hours would actually be pretty good if you are using the portable charger that came with the car and 110V household plug. You can cut that time in half if you upgrade to a 240V Level II charger, but if you don't drive the car a lot, the 110V charger may be adequate for your purposes. As I said before, without reading the code and deciphering it with Fisker's custom diagnostic software, it would be impossible to know what the issue was that caused the MIL to illuminate. Depending on which software level this car has loaded, you can expect to see false MILs from time to time. The later software tends not to do it as often as the earlier software revisions. But there are also legitimate reasons for the MIL to come on. It is impossible to say without reading the codes.

Thanks! New to the Karma.
Welcome and happy to have you join us. You are among friends here. Don't hesitate to ask anything.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks, Fabulist! I'll surely grab some photos and throw them up. Some of the best lines I've seen on a car if not THE best, and with Karma Automotive coming back, I felt it a bit safer to finally pull the trigger by having the original and possibly moving on to Karma Automotive if it can make a run.

I ordered a Bluetooth OBD2 today and should have it tomorrow to perform my own diagnostics (good tip). Deciphering the codes and determining the fix will be interesting. Tonight, even after the hard reboot, my battery ran out and I noticed that after it was running on gas, 5 miles later the light popped back on? I'll search like you suggested and see if I can find anything. If something common though, I'm hoping it isn't something where I'm walking into thousands of dollars in repair out of the gate. From what I've read, it sounds like most alerts are false positives? Have you experienced the same?

Take care and much appreciated for the reply on the forum. I'll get some picks up tomorrow--already have my new Karma winterized for a driving test in snow (7 straight days in the forecast in Michigan so we will see how she does with 22'in winters).

·
Karma Enthusiast
454 Posts
The car takes about 11 hours for a full charge and that appears to be typical and thus can I assume the check engine light is a false positive? If it were the HV battery, wouldn't I see slower charging times or rapid depletion of the battery when in stealth mode?
I would get 240V charger for sure if you are driving it 7 days in a row and winterized it. Mine takes 5 hours and some change from 0-full.
@KARMANEWS great news.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts