Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As noted long ago in another thread, the slim metal panels are not holding up well in Florida. I'm talking about the 5" strip of black metal that separates the windshield from the solar panel, and the second one separating the solar panel roof from the rear window.

The Revero will use glass, not metal, pieces to avoid a repeat of these problems, but that doesn't help the 2012's. NIN JA devised an excellent plan to wrap the entire thing with carbon fiber vynyl. I have a sheet of the stuff from way back when I'd planned to wrap the styrofoam behind the front grill, and this would be a far better use of it (also allows me to keep the "original parts" of my future collectible).

I'm sure Harleyguy could show me how to remove this at my next checkup, but I thought I'd post here so others could perform the same operation. If anyone has tried this, let me know!

·
Early Adopter
1,259 Posts
As noted long ago in another thread, the slim metal panels are not holding up well in Florida. I'm talking about the 5" strip of black metal that separates the windshield from the solar panel, and the second one separating the solar panel roof from the rear window.

The Revero will use glass, not metal, pieces to avoid a repeat of these problems, but that doesn't help the 2012's. NIN JA devised an excellent plan to wrap the entire thing with carbon fiber vynyl. I have a sheet of the stuff from way back when I'd planned to wrap the styrofoam behind the front grill, and this would be a far better use of it (also allows me to keep the "original parts" of my future collectible).

I'm sure Harleyguy could show me how to remove this at my next checkup, but I thought I'd post here so others could perform the same operation. If anyone has tried this, let me know!
between HArlyguy, Fiskerphilly or Powersoruce, I'm sure one of them will give you the skinny on how to remove that part.

BTW, loved the CIU and I sent a PM to HArleyguy on giving me pointers on how to load it on my FY2012. Great lunch and we had a blast with you and the the Mss - my tummy is still warm ;-)

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts

It is glued on heat it up a bit to loosen the glue and it will come off

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
between HArlyguy, Fiskerphilly or Powersoruce, I'm sure one of them will give you the skinny on how to remove that part.

BTW, loved the CIU and I sent a PM to HArleyguy on giving me pointers on how to load it on my FY2012. Great lunch and we had a blast with you and the the Mss - my tummy is still warm ;-)
I never got a PM

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is glued on heat it up a bit to loosen the glue and it will come off
I don't doubt what you're saying, but it's hard to believe: the reason why it's damaged in the first place is from sitting in the sun, the thing has to be hotter than a hair dryer could ever get it already (and yet it doesn't fly off when you start driving). I'll post some pics if/when I try it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Non sequitur, try this solution. Come back to Canada. It's not as hot in many ways :)
My parents (and my kids) would love that, but I can't afford the house costs up there! Also, I don't think I'd be driving the fisker on the 2cm sheet of solid ice that fell over Toronto this week - yikes!

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
The part you are referring to is called the roof bow, it is held on with a bonding adhesive. The proper way to remove it is to heat the edges of the roof bow and apply a peel force to the portions of the bow that were heated- then slowly pry the bow off the surface

Extended environmental heat exposure may weaken the bond, but there is usually no peel force applied after the adhesive is "weakened." Targeted heat at the edges of the roof bow plus a peel force (with a blunt edged pry tool) will remove this piece.

The discoloration/damage you are likely referring to, is due to UV exposure.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I'm sure, they will be made on order and as amazon doesn't charge for the offer but only for purchases, it is not a problem for the seller...

You'll find used items for cents, offered for years.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just to conclude the thread: yes, it is possible to just wrap the panels, and they don't need to be removed to do it. I had it done in carbon fiber (see pic), and the car just keeps looking better and better than new.

Best of all, the Miami-based guy who did it refused to accept payment for the small job! So I once again must heartily recommend him for xpel or 3M paint protection work: [email protected].

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts