Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did you take the 1/101 or the 5? Any comments/advice? Also curious what kind of fuel economy you got on the trip.

·
Registered
60 Posts
In general:

If you a tourist and in need to puke for two days, take the 101. It's fun to take 101 for about two hours but then its done with it. If you are on a biz trip take the 5 and be done with it in about 5 hours. I usually try to do down and back up same day trips.
Btw, driving down and back to SF takes pretty much the same time then flying Southwest (go to airport, park, check-in, wait for boarding, fly 45 minutes, get rental, drive to the studio lot -> and back). One big difference, no TSA and you are in control of the departure time. Get some lunch at harris ranch, they have a tesla supercharger station there too.

Have not done it in a karma. Still looking for the right one. Hopefully next week.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh, and the grapevine is awesome to recharge your batteries I bet. Would love to know how much charge you get.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did LA to SF when I first got the car from the Santa Monica dealership, if I remember correctly I got the car with full tank and batteries, I stopped the Harries Ranch stop to top off the gas tank and to laugh at some Tesla owners :)
I still had about half the tank left when I got home.

I went via the 5 till I hit the 152 to Gilroy and for the. I took the 101 as I live on the South Bay.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I did SFBA to San Diego in April via the Pacific Coast Highway (Highway 1). On day one we stopped off and checked out Julia Pfeiffer Burns state park and then headed down to take a tour at Hearst Castle. We stayed overnight in Cambria and the next day we continued to Santa Monica where we stayed overnight in preparation for spending a full day at the Getty Museum. The next day we continued on to San Diego to visit a friend and where we checked out Balboa Park and the Old Point Loma Light House. We returned home from San Diego in one day via Highway 101. I was surprised when I got home and wasn't the least bit tired. It was a great trip with no problems.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I have done LA to SF, also Central valley to Vegas, LA to monterey, and Central Valley to San Diego all in the Karma, and she performed wonderfully. A grapevine charger would be perfect!!

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I used to do the 5 all the time when I was in college in my Explorer, just wondering how the Karma fares. I have been hesitant to take either Karma up as the Karma has done pretty well as far as road chips are concerned. But then I thought - its a car, you're supposed to drive it, so will probably do the drive in August.

What kind of fuel economy did you guys get in gas mode?

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
I actually got 24mpg when on all gas on my SFBA to San Diego trip. This was calculated by using the gallons used over the mileage as shown on the odometer, not the on board computer. I was only able to charge in Santa Monica and San Diego.

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
24 on these extended road trips..... but of course 409 mpg when the cars at home for weeks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Not LA to SF, but I drove SLC to SF (well, SLC to San Jose) and back. Did fine, got 22.7 mpg (measured) despite going 75+ mph through all of Nevada. Most comfortable vehicle I've ever done this in, by far (although one was a rental truck, moving equipment, and that was the worst by far ;)).

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks - very helpful info. So will expect 23-24mpg on the drive up (gas range of 205-215 miles).

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I've done OC to San Jose a few times...average about 24mpg......I gain about 4 miles coming down the grapevine.....Best part is the extremely smooth ride in the Karma, like being in a glider, much more comfortable than the S5 on road trips.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts