Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not seen this discussed but would love to know how Karma owners drive their Karma. Specifically, do you use Hill 1 or Hill 2 when driving or are you always in standard stealth mode.

I am a daily driver and have tried the three options. My normal commute is about 35 to 40 miles and I am electric only most of the time. Typically I drive in Hill 1 mode most often. I usually start in stealth and move to Hill 1 when i need to slow down and then will leave in Hill 1 for the duration of that drive.

I have tried Hill 2 but find it too much of a drag when you take your foot off the accelerator. Hill 1 seems to better mimic my normal driving before the Karma.

The technical side of this I know nothing about but would love to hear back from those that do. Does driving in Hill 1 or Hill 2 all the time cause any harm? Will this driving reduce your electric range or does it increase your range due to higher regen? Does this driving wear more on regen or brakes?

Add our thoughts and thanks for sharing. My Karma is getting near three years old which is hard to believe. However, I still get thumbs up on the road, groups gathered at the car in the parking lot, questions about the car and I still love it!!:):fisker:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I only use Hill 1 or 2 when I am actually going down a hill or coming to a stop light. Tesla has hill 1 built in all the time I think. I didn't know you could just leave hill 1 or 2 on permanently, neat idea. When the accelerator is pressed it appears to prevent hill 1 or 2 from activating.

·
Registered
913 Posts
The technical side of this I know nothing about but would love to hear back from those that do. Does driving in Hill 1 or Hill 2 all the time cause any harm? Will this driving reduce your electric range or does it increase your range due to higher regen? Does this driving wear more on regen or brakes?
If you watch your accelerate/generate gauge carefully you'll see that you get regenerative braking even in normal (non-Hill) mode, as long as you're going about 10 mph or faster (below that there's no regen even in the hill modes, presumably it's just too slow). So, no, it won't cause any real harm, except perhaps to your overall mileage/range, because...:

While regeneration is nice, it is lossy. You get about 2/3rd of your energy back: if it takes 30 kWh to accelerate from speed A to speed B, and you're on a smooth level road and you drop from B back to A, you regain only about 20 kWh. This means that any extra accidental regeneration you get from a not-perfectly-steady foot, costs you 1/3 of the energy you spend recovering, over a long period of driving.

The result is that most people do slightly worse in miles/kWh with heavy regeneration than with light or no regeneration, at least unless/until they practice at it. On the other hand, the "one pedal" driving style is quite convenient, so you might choose to learn it and maybe even give up a little efficiency on days you're not paying full attention to your feet. :D

The one really big disadvantage to using Hill modes "all the time" in the Karma is that they disable the parking sensors. There is no obvious reason for them to do this, but I've observed it in my own Karma, which I usually put in Hill 2 on the roads near my house just for the one-pedal driving thing. My driveway is steep enough to set off the sensors, and if I forget to take it out of Hill mode I get no driveway beep.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like "the game" of using Hill Modes 1 & 2 in lieu of braking whenever possible. I agree, that if you do it badly and have to "re-accelerate", you can lose more than you gain back. It does take some practice, and I do wish there was a way to go back from 1 to D without having to spend time at 2. But, if you do it well, I believe that you get close to 20% more stealth miles per charge (up to 60 instead of 50). I believe this because I have a lot of the distances to places I frequent memorized (as I bike to them often). And, when I drive there and back, I can see more "Stealth Range" left than I should have based on the distance. I always start moving in D, but use 1 and 2 any time I want to slow down or stop. It does seem to generate more charging than just leaving it in D and braking alone (as evidenced by the charge meter). But, I almost always put it back into D to accelerate, because coasting if you don't need to slow down is more efficient, and I want the parking sensor to work. I try to avoid the temptation at stoplights to "inch" forward if the car in front of me does and stop again. I also don't come to a stop and then jump lanes to get 2 cars further up and stop again. Anytime you try to go from a dead stop to moving 5 MPH costs more energy than going from 5 to 10 (or any pretty much any other 5 MPH jump at normal speeds). Breaking the initial stopped inertia is what saps the most power. With a gas engine that's idling anyway, it probably doesn't use much extra fuel to do that stuff. But, for us, who are using no energy at all to sit still at a light ... any extra times you start & stop is robbing you of charge. I can't say with certainty that it's enough to noticeably reduce your range, but I have to think that it could. For me, doing all this makes the Karma a more interesting car to drive, too.

·
Deep Ocean in ATL
436 Posts
When driving in city traffic, I drive in Hill 2. Saves on braking. If going longer distances at higher speeds 60MPH or so, I drive in Hill 1. Hill 2 seems to have too much drag, even going down pretty steep hills. Hill 1 seems to be the right regen that allows the Karma to coast. I seldom drive in "D" only.

·
Super Moderator
1,183 Posts
There is! I hit on it by accident: pull the paddle and hold, and instead of 1-to-2 you get 1-to-D.
It's not exactly a secret :)

From page 5.24 of the Owner's Manual:
Note: If the vehicle is operating in HILL
mode 1, either operate the paddle twice in
quick succession or pull and hold the
paddle to deselect HILL mode.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
I have not seen this discussed but would love to know how Karma owners drive their Karma. Specifically, do you use Hill 1 or Hill 2 when driving or are you always in standard stealth mode.
This topic has been discussed in great depth and ad nauseam. See, e.g., this thread.

The upshot appears to be that other than its actual intended use, coming down steep hills, Hill modes can be useful in certain situations, but it comes down to driver's preference for the the amount of drag they want to experience when they come off the accelerator. The main benefit appears to be extending the life of the friction brakes, and the energy recovery is a bonus, but not as critical.

I personally like using Hill 2 mode in heavy traffic because it lets me stay with slow-moving traffic without riding the brakes. It would have been nice to have a Tesla-style acceleration-activated brake light system for additional safety, but in my experience, the system works well enough to be useful.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
There is! I hit on it by accident: pull the paddle and hold, and instead of 1-to-2 you get 1-to-D.
Great feature, but since the CIU tends to be slow in reacting to the input, I often end up overshooting and ending up all the way around back in Hill 1.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Responding to Fab 2 replies back ... I would say that we actually have covered some new ground in this thread that wasn't covered before. But, I hadn't found that other thread before. So, thank you for linking it!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Indeed, the simple cut and dry of it is that hill mode and your brake pedal do exactly the same thing, minus the brake lights. Hill mode is controlled, fixed regen braking. The majority 66% or more of the braking in the karma is regen. It only transitions to friction brakes below 10mph and hard stops (you'll notice this if you brake hard the generate gauge drops off sharply as friction brakes take over). The simplest proof is the lacking brake dust on the wheels and the fact that I've NEVER replaced a worn set of brake pads!
bottom line here is hill mode is no different than braking, the difference is braking energy is controlled by your foot and hill regen is done consistently by the car. Driver preference. I agree with the majority hill 1 is nice.

·
Registered
829 Posts
LorMax once told me the same thing. But, one serious difference (at least in my car) is shown on the Charge Rate Indicator on the Instrument Panel. When just using brakes in "D" mode, my charge indicator "needle" never goes beyond about 1/3 of the way. But, braking in Hill 2 can nearly "peg the needle". So, I have to believe that Hill Mode is doing more charging than just using the brake pedal - or the instrument readings are all BS.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Responding to Fab 2 replies back ... I would say that we actually have covered some new ground in this thread that wasn't covered before. But, I hadn't found that other thread before. So, thank you for linking it!
No worries. Glad to contribute.

·
Carved - Karma bites back
79 Posts
I allways drive Hill 2 in no matter what Mode ( Stealth or Sport ) the car is.
If i am driving in cities I drive Stealth. On Highways I drive Sport.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts