Fisker Buzz Forums banner

High Voltage Battery Failure

10K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  JB'sFisker 
#1 ·
Help! I pulled the MSD without first disabling he 12 volt power. Now I get a high voltage battery failure message on the center display. I know I screwed up, but is there an easy way out?

#7 ·
Not to sound rude this is way a lot of car manufactures don't produce a service manual for owners to obtain. You all ready seen for your self what happens if proper procedure isn't followed . The HV battery isn't a part you want to make a mistake with it could be your last mistake.

#3 ·
Would it be possible to get a list of the acronyms used by Fisker for the various modules?
I find that I'm often guessing as to what the acronyms used on this forum mean. Thanks for any help you can provide.

#5 ·
So I guess my question now goes to why did you need to disconnect the hv battery? Just trying to figure out whats going on w the car. Are you doing repairs requiring this and if so and you have no experience with this car and service info, I'm trying to look out for your best interest and more importantly your safety. That message wont come on unless you tried to run the car w the msd out. It should reset with a hard reset and msd back in first. If not, you have a hard or permanent fault in hv system.

#9 ·
Guys, while I appreciate your concern, this is not the first PHEV/BEV/HEV I have had the pleasure of working on. I am not a fiskerbuzz owner, I am a master tech with all of the required PPE to work on this. I just made a silly mistake and was hoping for some insight on what I may be able to do to get the car going again. With a 5,300 lbs curb weight it sucks pushing it around the shop.

#10 ·
I've been in this business for well over 35 years a Master ASE mechanic college degree . The Karma is not like any other Hybrid car ever made . But answer to your question remove the MSD then disconnect the 12 volt disconnect under the hood . Reinstall the MSD then hook up the 12 volt again . Recalibrate the emergency brake and calibrate the windows the car should go back into ready mode .

#13 ·
Harley, thank you for your response. I pulled the MSD, disconnected the 12 volt connector, reinstalled the MSD and the reconnected 12 volts. Still have the same issue. Are there any fuses or circuit breakers in he high voltage circuit that may have failed? If not, it may be time to dissect this car and find out what makes it tick!

#14 ·
No fuses what did you do to cause this please explain again . If the car was going into Ready mode before and started flashing the ready light after you pulled the msd first then the 12 volt try doing again but this time keep the msd installed disconnect the 12 volt let sit for a minute then reconnect the 12 volt . You can check the MSD if its blown by checking OHM reading between the two large silver bars on the MSD

#15 ·
Thanks harleyguy. Disconnected/reconnected the 12 volt connector with no change. I had already check continuity of the MSD and there's 0 ohms across the plug. The whole reason for pulling the MSD in the first place was to depower the high voltage system so I could check for signs of moisture in the connectors under the car. I did pull the two high voltage connectors under the car and reconnected them, then reinstalled the MSD. That's when I found the car would no longer move and realized my mistake.

#16 ·
Only time I've seen mositure in the connectors if the car was flooded . What you need to look at the the HVIL wires those are the two small connectors you needed to remove in order to release the HV plugs off the battery . I've disconnected and reconnected every possable way the connectors and been able to recover any problems I set . Sometimes I cause problems on purpose just to see the effect . Now that you told us what you set out to do we can back track what might of happened . I suggest you look at the connections you removed . If the HVIL circuit isn't complete the ready light will flash all the HVIL circuit is one big loop that goes to all the HV components no voltage . Also make sure everything you removed is installed correctly it's hard to mess up since they have safety locks . Something you did caused the problem go back and recheck your work. Worst cause senrio time permitting we can talk on the phone

#18 ·
Hi @Harleyguy, JB here and I read your responses and I believe that you can help me out with my issue. Initially my 12volt batt. Light came on, so i drove to the nearest charging station let it charge as it then alarmed me that the High voltage fault. I don't have experience but still changed out the 12v battery to see if that would work. It didnt, now I have had the 'high voltage system fault" light on and it caused the Karma to freeze and only switches to neutral and park. I cannot activate drive or reverse. i have done a "hard system" reset but it has not solved the problem. Do you happen to know what my problem might be with the 2012 Fisker Karma?

#20 ·
Off hand without getting a Fisker Laptop hooked to the car and read the codes it can be almost anything. Where are you located
Ok I am located in Atlanta GA
Off hand without getting a Fisker Laptop hooked to the car and read the codes it can be almost anything. Where are you located