Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had VW Phaeton and Maserati Gran Tourismo...now Silver Karma with Monsoon Tritone....

Unfortunately having troubles with car not taking a full charge. Dealer has replaced battery, on board charger and still stops charging in the middle of the night.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Buck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
230 Posts
DNAGuy said:
Had VW Phaeton and Maserati Gran Tourismo...now Silver Karma with Monsoon Tritone....

Unfortunately having troubles with car not taking a full charge. Dealer has replaced battery, on board charger and still stops charging in the middle of the night.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Buck
Make sure the fans have quit running and the car has gone to sleep before plugging in.
Plug in charger first then plug in to the car.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
I think this problem was discussed in another thread and one of the Fisker techs that was participating on FiskerBuzz and is sorely missed, mentioned something about a valve that was miswired on some cars and didn't open properly to cool the charging battery, so it would stop. I've not had much luck in searching for specific posts on FiskerBuzz, so maybe somebody that is a pro might be able to come up with the specific post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Sigurd said:
I think this problem was discussed in another thread and one of the Fisker techs that was participating on FiskerBuzz and is sorely missed, mentioned something about a valve that was miswired on some cars and didn't open properly to cool the charging battery, so it would stop. I've not had much luck in searching for specific posts on FiskerBuzz, so maybe somebody that is a pro might be able to come up with the specific post.
The valve check should have been part of their initial troubleshooting, but it is worth asking if it was performed. Dealers and techs like stuff like that ;)

Has the dealer tried using multiple chargers? What type are you using at home?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,659 Posts
BMW said:
Sigurd said:
I think this problem was discussed in another thread and one of the Fisker techs that was participating on FiskerBuzz and is sorely missed, mentioned something about a valve that was miswired on some cars and didn't open properly to cool the charging battery, so it would stop. I've not had much luck in searching for specific posts on FiskerBuzz, so maybe somebody that is a pro might be able to come up with the specific post.
The valve check should have been part of their initial troubleshooting, but it is worth asking if it was performed. Dealers and techs like stuff like that ;)

Has the dealer tried using multiple chargers? What type are you using at home?
Buck, welcome to Fiskerbuzz and to the power of Fisker Crowdsourcing.

Here is a link to the specific post that Dennis is mentioning and his description is correct. There are a number of other threads discussing charging issues and the problems run the ranger from malfunctioning EVSE equipment to software issues on the Fisker to basic mechanical issues such as the one in the post. You may want to send a PM to the poster of the message and see if they can get you in touch with their dealer who may have tips for you and your local tech. Also, make sure that your dealer is working with Fisker TSS who track and solve these kinds of mystery problems.

Also, when you get a chance, please post some photos of your new Karma. It's always a happy moment when another Fisker owner gets his or her car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thank you everyone for your comments...some answers to your questions:

Multiple charges have been tried and same problem. I have had 2 "loaner" Fiskers and they both charged fine at home.

I wait until the fan stops before plugging in, but when I plug in the car, the fan starts again...is this normal?

I believe the stuck valve in the cooling apparatus sounds like the most likely explanation...I will inform the Fisker mechanic of the issue...

Thanks again everybody....Will post pictures when I get my Karma back.

Buck
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Battery Charging Repaired

I want to thank everyone who tried to help me solve my problems. The tech finally solved the problem. It seems that when the new battery was manufactured the coolant was added but all the air was not bled out of the coolant compartment. Thus air pockets would develop during charging causing the coolant to stop circulating leading to overheating and charge shut down. Car is now charging perfectly...Now if I could only get my radio presets back everything would be perfect.

Buck
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
RE: Battery Charging Repaired

DNAGuy said:
I want to thank everyone who tried to help me solve my problems. The tech finally solved the problem. It seems that when the new battery was manufactured the coolant was added but all the air was not bled out of the coolant compartment. Thus air pockets would develop during charging causing the coolant to stop circulating leading to overheating and charge shut down. Car is now charging perfectly...Now if I could only get my radio presets back everything would be perfect.

Buck
Excellent! Sounds like your tech is on the ball.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
RE: Battery Charging Repaired

DNAGuy said:
I want to thank everyone who tried to help me solve my problems. The tech finally solved the problem. It seems that when the new battery was manufactured the coolant was added but all the air was not bled out of the coolant compartment. Thus air pockets would develop during charging causing the coolant to stop circulating leading to overheating and charge shut down. Car is now charging perfectly...Now if I could only get my radio presets back everything would be perfect.

Buck
To get the presets back I go to Settings. Hit left up arrow once to get interior. Hit right up arrow 5 times. Hit SET. All your presets should come back immediately.
Cheers,
Sigurd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RE: Battery Charging Repaired

To get the presets back I go to Settings. Hit left up arrow once to get interior. Hit right up arrow 5 times. Hit SET. All your presets should come back immediately.
Cheers,
Sigurd


Sigurd,

Thanks for advice...what will the menu item say after I hit the up arrow 5 times....my presets have magically returned...do I still need to follow this procedure in order to prevent it from happening again?

Buck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
Buck,
It should say "Memory 1" or something similar to the left and SET to the right. It's where the key fob specific stuff is set.
There is no need to follow this procedure unless you enter the car and it doesn't remember your key fob and therefor your presets.
Cheers,
Sigurd
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,001 Posts
It actually says: Primary seat memory. And under: Key name 1. Hit the SET next to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Understood...went through process of naming primary fob and then storing presets and seat settings...so far so good...thanks so much for you help.

Buck
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top