Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping someone is online that knows.

My car is in the shop getting tinted and photographed.

We believe the Acc was left on over the weekend and the 12v is completely dead. Of course, the key was inside so I had to bring in the spare. We were able to use the physical key to get in through the passenger door.....but them we realized the battery was dead.


Is there a way to jump start the car? If so, which post is preferred?


From what I know, the high voltage system is isolated from the 12v system....which leads me to believe that me driving an hour and a half to go get my 110v charger is not going to help.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Hoping someone is online that knows.

My car is in the shop getting tinted and photographed.

We believe the Acc was left on over the weekend and the 12v is completely dead. Of course, the key was inside so I had to bring in the spare. We were able to use the physical key to get in through the passenger door.....but them we realized the battery was dead.


Is there a way to jump start the car? If so, which post is preferred?


From what I know, the high voltage system is isolated from the 12v system....which leads me to believe that me driving an hour and a half to go get my 110v charger is not going to help.
The short answer is "Yes." Here is an exchange on this very topic with Nimsys:

Nimisys
Member

Posts: 116
Joined: Feb 2012
RE: 12 volt battery
(03-12-2012 09:00 PM)Fabulist Wrote:
Is it possible to use an external 12V Battery to energize the 12V circuits to allow the system to power up? The same process used to jump start an ICE, but in this case the goal would be to unlock the HV and energize the system, not to start the engine.


Yes, which is why i would recommend a trickle charger or tender for weeks between use, otherwise a convential jumper box (or jumper cables and a second vehicle) is needed (again the current draw) to power everything up. However, once in Ready mode, the 12v battery charges back up fairly quickly (15 minutes is normally enough).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
Can you call your dealer in Texas? Or are they already closed? Otherwise there should still be someone you can reach at Customer Service of Fisker Automotive in California.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
Also from Nimsys about preferred connection point:

on the driver side where the APM is, the positive terminal is behind the red cap, however the case is grounded, so you have to be careful not to short it. the perfered positive post is under the fuse cover by the left headlamp
All of this was discussed in this thread if you want to read the full exchange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dutch said:
Can you call your dealer in Texas? Or are they already closed? Otherwise there should still be someone you can reach at Customer Service of Fisker Automotive in California.
Yes, dealerships were closed. I was able to contact Fisker Customer Service. They were very helpful.



[hr]
Fabulist said:
Also from Nimsys about preferred connection point:

on the driver side where the APM is, the positive terminal is behind the red cap, however the case is grounded, so you have to be careful not to short it. the perfered positive post is under the fuse cover by the left headlamp
All of this was discussed in this thread if you want to read the full exchange.
Thanks Fabulust for the links. I did attempt a search before I posted, but wasn't sure if any additional steps were needed. Fisker Customer Service sent me pics and instructions. They instructed me to disconnect the 12v power harness (used for hard reboots) before clamping on the jumper cables, then reconnecting the harness afterwards.

I think it is odd that they do not include these steps in the owner's manual.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,183 Posts
Need4Speed said:
Thanks Fabulust for the links. I did attempt a search before I posted, but wasn't sure if any additional steps were needed. Fisker Customer Service sent me pics and instructions. They instructed me to disconnect the 12v power harness (used for hard reboots) before clamping on the jumper cables, then reconnecting the harness afterwards.

I think it is odd that they do not include these steps in the owner's manual.
Can you post the pics and instructions on FiskerBuzz for all of us? If you want, you can send them to me via PM and I can upload them too.

Thanks!

Brent
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,661 Posts
Need4Speed said:
I think it is odd that they do not include these steps in the owner's manual.
What's more odd that you have a ginormous HV battery that, even when it is too depleted to be used for propulsion, can provide enough electrical power to run the average American home for an hour, cannot be used to charge a 12V battery safely.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top