Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here's the problem. Haven't driven my Karma in about a month (cold weather/salt on roads). First nice day in awhile, so went to take her out, and battery is totally dead. Doors won't unlock, and my girlfriend left key FOB (only have one that came w/car, I'm 2nd owner) in center console. Of course, the charging cable is in trunk (and not sure if that would charge 12v battery anyway).

Tried the 855-575-7577 roadside assist #, and doesn't work. Need help! :eek:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Replace the 12V battery. It's dead to the point that it won't hold a charge, most likely damaged from being so low.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. 3 quick things:

1) Is there anything specific I'll need to pull that panel off - or is there a step by step procedure anywhere?

2) Not to sound like a complete moron here, but is it a standard 12V type of car battery that can be found at most auto parts store or retailer like walmart?...

3) are there any specifics I need to know about disconnecting - and reconnecting a new battery - so I don't harm anything?... Just want to be extra careful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is a standard battery that can be purchased at any aftermarket parts retailer for about $100. Nothing difficult about removing it other than the tight fit. Just disconnect and remove.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
is there anything to watch out for when hooking it back up?... I just don't want to "fry" anything... :)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Nope, not really anything specific. It's a pretty straight-forward replacement.

Tools needed:

Floor jack (I prefer a 3-ton jack minimum)
Jack Stand (I use the smaller 2-ton stand, and keep the floor jack under the car as well)
22mm socket for the lug nuts
Breaker bar for the 22mm socket
10mm socket for the fender liner bolts
T45 Torx socket for the first battery hold-down bracket
13mm wrench for the second battery hold-down bracket
10mm wrench for the 2 battery leads (both positive and negative)

That's what I use. Depending on what tools you have available, you may end up using a socket for the battery leads.

If you wait to tackle this over the weekend, I'll be back in the states and you're welcome to call me directly for any guidance through the job. PM me if you need my phone #.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Talk to Ronnie 702 his battery went dead also left for dead for a while .With proper charging you can get the battery back to life . It's not a guarantee but you have a 50/50 chance also when replacing a battery you must replace the battery with a proper battery made for the car . Cold cranking amps is one issue another is that the battery is a AGM battery . So your run of a mill Auto Zone $100.00 battery might not cut it . The replacement battery for the Fisker battery is carried by Interstate Batteries ? Replace the battery with the same specs of what comes out size and proper specs .

People should given the correct information before they attempt to repair there own car just my 2 cents

Oh yeah there is a certain procedure no matter what kind of car your working on before you remove or disconnect a battery . The Karma battery is in a very tight area the positive side of the battery is facing out touch the positive side of the battery terminal with a wrench and touch the ground watch the sparks fly I never use a wrench in a tight area before I take certain precautions .

I had a tech not listen or pay attention while removing a battery and lost a finger because he was wearing a ring grounded the wrench and the ring lite up like a Xmas tree and arced .

Go watch some You Tube videos

1 - 9 of 9 Posts