Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted on here some time last year, Although I couldn't say much more at the time, I guess I can now.

Fisker always had an uphill struggle a premium car at the $100,000 price tag was always going to be a difficult market entry.

I was part of the launch team at Valmet in Ussikaupunki - make no mistake these were challenging times - although all vehicle launches are without exception.

The levels of frustration were immense, with poor information flow between Fisker and Valmet adding to the problems we faced - but VA are experts, they were making the porsche cayman at the time, I can't say that all the problems created in these areas were of Fiskers making, but on reflection they did not help themselves.

There has been a lot of talk regarding fiskers strengths, were they a design house, or a manufacturer, well take a look at the car, i think that answers the question.

Despite all the push back on release dates (3 + years) it always felt that development was concurrent in post launch and the customers were almost the goalkeepers for issues.

we launched with:

Awful fascia and decklid fits - upto 6 hrs of rework per car
Constantly shifting software, leading to vehicle harness issues and incorrect pin outs - hours and hours of re-work per car

I have more answers....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Please share more. I think all of us would like to understand the inter workings of Valmet and Fisker and the devolopement of the Fisker Karma. I find this very interesting.

Samuel

·
Registered
243 Posts
Agree. We need info and any light that can be shed on the FA/VA relationship, internal issues with the kArma release would help explain much of the issues we have observed.

·
Registered
261 Posts
you can really enlighten us, so please elaborate on your story. Also, if you had a crystal ball do you think Karmas can survive one year without service connections?

·
Registered
546 Posts
I posted on here some time last year, Although I couldn't say much more at the time, I guess I can now.

Fisker always had an uphill struggle a premium car at the $100,000 price tag was always going to be a difficult market entry.

I was part of the launch team at Valmet in Ussikaupunki - make no mistake these were challenging times - although all vehicle launches are without exception.

The levels of frustration were immense, with poor information flow between Fisker and Valmet adding to the problems we faced - but VA are experts, they were making the porsche cayman at the time, I can't say that all the problems created in these areas were of Fiskers making, but on reflection they did not help themselves.

There has been a lot of talk regarding fiskers strengths, were they a design house, or a manufacturer, well take a look at the car, i think that answers the question.

Despite all the push back on release dates (3 + years) it always felt that development was concurrent in post launch and the customers were almost the goalkeepers for issues.

we launched with:

Awful fascia and decklid fits - upto 6 hrs of rework per car
Constantly shifting software, leading to vehicle harness issues and incorrect pin outs - hours and hours of re-work per car

I have more answers....
For the past year, I've read this forum daily--usually several times per day. And in that time, your post is the most interesting post I've ever read. *Please*, share any and all knowledge with us!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
quick note

guys, just got home, its been a long day - and its late here, quick:

Parts at VA? doubtful, i know toward the end parts shortage was an issue, there may be old level parts kicking around from CP builds, but they certainly won't be available to owners, it's very likely they will have been skipped.

can a karma last? there is a lot of talk about new technology, but that was never the problem - apart from poor quality batteries - but poor quality happens to every OEM, show me a manufacturer who has never had a recall, and i'll show you bullshit!

the 'new' technology is proven apart from the MIL light which is software driven (has anybody had the motors or dc/dc convertors changed?)

I Mentioned earlier harness issues, i can still see tables and tables of agency contractors re-working harnesses at one point 13 man hours went into each vehicle, then a new revision of software would be released, and everything changed again - including any harnesses we had managed to get ahead with!

the focus often seemed askew, each fascia Needed significant modification to fit,(go have a look at the facia 'ears' around your headlamp, a good tug and you'll disconnect the dual lock! (velcro to most people) i'm pretty sure the jag xkr or panamerra is not fixed like that! look hard at the big lump of polystyrene behind the facia mouth, note some rough cut marks? i highlighted these issues everyday during 4pm telecons until i was red in the face, but got nowhere, although we could talk for 3/4 of an hour about missing fasteners (nuts and bolts) most of which could be sourced or fabricated locally........... absolutely baffling!

guys i'm bollocksed, my keyboard is playing up, i will post more tomorrow - before i go, don't be disheartened, you have bought a great car, engineered by people who were (mostly) enthused by the product - and when it's right, it just f***in rocks!!! am i right?

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
So where did the fault lay Valmet having a hard time making the pieces fit or the supplier who made the parts wrong . Wasn't the parts checked before they went into full production of the pieces . I also heard that when the frame of the car was in the jig and welded together it shrunk one of the main reason the body fit sucks . Knowing that the car would be picked apart how was it permitted to let the cars leave Valmet like they did . So many questions we have never had answered

·
Registered
996 Posts
I think the problem was the way the panels were mounted to the frame. Fisker (in many instances) used velcro and double sided tape (fit would be different on every vehicle) instead of an engineered solution. Love my Karma best car ever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm new to this but I have to say it's truly nothing but a work of art. I can't even think of not having at this point.

This the best thing I have ever seen...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts