Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Robby
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled the switch and purchased one....battery has a bad cell or two and apparently has not had the 510 update.....suggestions or advice is always welcome.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I pulled the switch and purchased one....battery has a bad cell or two and apparently has not had the 510 update.....suggestions or advice is always welcome.
Congratulations, and welcome to the community. I hope you purchased the car very cheap because it sounds like there is some work ahead of you. I would suggest getting in touch with Karma's authorized service centers in Southern California right away to have them get the car's service history, and to schedule the work that needs to be done.

Also, by long-standing tradition, I ask that you post some photos of your new acquisition.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to the community. I hope you purchased the car very cheap because it sounds like there is some work ahead of you. I would suggest getting in touch with Karma's authorized service centers in Southern California right away to have them get the car's service history, and to schedule the work that needs to be done.

Also, by long-standing tradition, I ask that you post some photos of your new acquisition.

The only authorized service center in So Cal is Rusnak. Sterling is sending customers to Rusnak for all work/parts.

The reputation of Rusnak has not been the greatest but this may be an isolated incident, Caveat Emptor

See these posts:

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13...driven-intention-experience-2.html#post270450

http://www.fiskerbuzz.com/forums/13-fisker-karma/29561-battery-contractor-failure.html#post265089

You may consider sending up north to Pat or to Corey in Arizona.

·
Robby
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I think the price was right 38k, 12,000 miles...considering a few updates and upgrades
Exterior is Silver Wind, interior is Canyon Tri tone. 000657 (vin) Just working on the familiarity issues with driving, parking, charging....good info in the forums. Will have pics shortly.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
I live in Corona del Mar, and have taken my Karma to Alex Pop(Aliso Viejo) for last few years, who has performed superb work. Before Alex, I was using Travis, but was burned by him like many of us on the forum.

·
Liked, but not well liked
1,172 Posts
I live in Corona del Mar, and have taken my Karma to Alex Pop(Aliso Viejo) for last few years, who has performed superb work. Before Alex, I was using Travis, but was burned by him like many of us on the forum.
Can Pop still get parts (i.e. battery modules etc) from Karma?

·
Robby
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you! Yes, because of this forum i have already lined him up for service, and thank you!

·
Robby
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dmv?

Not sure what is up with DMV Original CA title shows vehicle is titled E for electric and clerk wants to make it H for hybrid? and now will not register it until they change it in Sacramento? its their title, why the need to change it now? Any one ever heard of this as an issue?

Rob in HB

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Not sure what is up with DMV Original CA title shows vehicle is titled E for electric and clerk wants to make it H for hybrid? and now will not register it until they change it in Sacramento? its their title, why the need to change it now? Any one ever heard of this as an issue?

Rob in HB
I think you are paying for the sins of the original DMV clerk who erroneously registered the car as Electric. H(ybrid) would be the correct designation for a Karma. Too bad they caught on, it would have been nice to qualify for a White HOV access sticker as a a pure EV. :dodgy:

·
Robby
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I think I ran into the DMV clerk with 30 years of experience, too bad.
Thanks again for the insight Fab

Robby

·
Registered
888 Posts
I Too bad they caught on, it would have been nice to qualify for a White HOV access sticker as a a pure EV. :dodgy:

Sorry for the ignorance of us old world Europeans.... what is this white HOV sticker?

About inconsistencies in DMV
I drove an Suzuki LJ80 (a tiny little off road car, having 38HP and 0.798l engine) for e few years.
DMV and insurance company registered it as Motorcycle by error....
It was 79Mark for insurance and 45Mark for tax... Divide by 2 to get $
We figured this after selling the car... not sure about the processes in case of an accident.
So maybe you are better as an Hybrid registered car.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
I think you are paying for the sins of the original DMV clerk who erroneously registered the car as Electric. H(ybrid) would be the correct designation for a Karma. Too bad they caught on, it would have been nice to qualify for a White HOV access sticker as a a pure EV. :dodgy:
Sorry for the ignorance of us old world Europeans.... what is this white HOV sticker?
@Stefan, High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) or carpool lanes are reserved lanes on US highways that can only be accessed by cars with a minimum number of occupants (usually 2 or 3). In some states, in order to encourage fuel efficiency or reducing emissions, EV and certain Hybrid cars can get a special sticker that would allow that car to legally travel on the reserved lane, even with a single occupant. The rules vary from state to state, but in California, pure EV cars qualify for a White sticker, and Hybrid cars whose ICE meets very stringent emissions requirements qualify for a Green sticker (which are generally much more limited and harder to get than the White stickers). These stickers are very desirable in urban areas with heavy traffic, and I have personally known people who bought an EV for commuting specifically to get one of these stickers and use the HOV lanes for their commute.

The Karma's GM engine is, regrettably, not clean enough to qualify for a Green sticker in California, although I have heard of owners in other states getting their equivalent sticker for access to HOV lanes.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Thanks Fab.
I expected something like this.

I was wondering, why nobody was using my left lane in September 😇

We have something similar, where you could get a plate, where they append an 'E' to the end of the number. (Guess E)
In some cities, you can use taxi and bus lanes and can get free parking.
But I think you won't ever get into the normal lane at the end of bus lanes as nobody knows this plates and will think of you as the idiot, stealing his place in the queue...
this will go on my list, where you guys might be a little more modern...

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
Thanks Fab.
I expected something like this.

I was wondering, why nobody was using my left lane in September 😇

this will go on my list, where you guys might be a little more modern...
We are definitely not ahead of European countries, particularly Germany, on anything having to do with emissions reductions. For example, we don't pay any sort of registration tax based on emissions, even though we have a one-time "Gas Guzzler" tax that applies to inefficient cars only on the first sale. We also don't tax Hydrocarbon fuels enough to encourage conservation and politically, any move to increase fuel prices generally results in a riot by the constituents and is a great way to implode whatever chances a politician has for re-election.

The HOV lanes were originally intended to reduce congestion by encouraging people to share rides, rather than punish people who do not. But since the introduction of Hybrids and then EVs, they are also being used to encourage emission reduction. It's not anything resembling a coherent policy, just good PR and nothing else.

·
Registered
888 Posts
"and is a great way to implode whatever chances a politician has for re-election."

😂😂😂

·
Robby
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I met Alex (Elite OC) for Service, Battery, ect. Besides being personable, was impressed....and very reasonable compared to Rusnak....if your socal, recommended. Impressed to the point I may sell my Shelby Supersnake and get another....?.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Well, I met Alex (Elite OC) for Service, Battery, ect. Besides being personable, was impressed....and very reasonable compared to Rusnak....if your socal, recommended. Impressed to the point I may sell my Shelby Supersnake and get another....?.
Are you crazy

1 - 20 of 25 Posts