Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

when the summer has come in Germany some of the Karma owners aa have the same problem. I tried to figure out in the forum, whether anybody of you has already reported a similar problem. Did`not find any. So:

I have parked my Fisker in the heat of the sun for several hours. Coming back to my car, I tried to open the doors in order to start engine. Nothing worked; the key did not cause any action with the car. The Fisker was totally blocked. I had this incident sometimes in the last years ( My Fisker has also become 5 Years old now!! ), but i did not pay to much attention to that.
I tried a hard reset after opening the car with the key manually, only the alarm signal came up. Nothing else happened, after I waited 10 - 20 minutes, before I tried to start the engine again. Only - very supprising for me - after the hard reset all functions were working that took the energy from the 12 V-Batterie, such as alarm Signal, lightning, resue signs etc. The electric system did not start anyway. Two times it tried to start the system, but then went down again, without any reason.

The only solution to this problem was, as I have experienced several times until now, to leave the Karma alone, wait, until it has cooled down and start the system with the key again. Then system will mount and nothing gives you any idea of what has happened. My dealer says, that many Karma owners in Germany are facing the same problem without any ideas how to solve the problem. Because, if you show up at the dealer, he can check the car, but it always works fine and nobody knows, what the reason for the incidence comes from. Some of the guys here in Germany find a reason for the defect in the (over-)heating of the car, especially the main 20K- battery. But nobody can truly say, what to do.
We have a long summer here in Germany and I would like to drive the Fisker through the summer as you also do. So I need your help and advice

Thanks a lot!

Axel16

·
Registered
829 Posts
My Fisker lives in Phoenix, and gets quite hot. My garage will be above 100F (40C) most of the summer, let alone when I park outside in 115 degrees. Never had the problems you're describing.

Are you still working with the original 12 volt battery? Maybe it's on the edge of failing and the occasional "jolt" it gets from the HV system are pushing you back to life?

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
My Fisker lives in Phoenix, and gets quite hot. My garage will be above 100F (40C) most of the summer, let alone when I park outside in 115 degrees. Never had the problems you're describing.

Are you still working with the original 12 volt battery? Maybe it's on the edge of failing and the occasional "jolt" it gets from the HV system are pushing you back to life?
That's what I am thinking too. Sounds like the 12V battery is close to death and the extra heat causes it to stop working until it is cooled down.
@Axel16, have you tried starting the car up using an external battery (jump starting) when the battery is unresponsive due to the heat? THat may be a good way to verify the source of the problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot for your quick response. As I recall the 12 Volt battery has been exchanged last year. Anyway I will check this immediatly. But: as I pointed out, all other funktions that were depending on the 12 Volt batterie were working well, such as car alarm, the cursor, the display except the Stop/start engine light.
And: the problem that I reported occured at the same time with at least 5 other Fisker Karmas. Last but not least: I have never had any starting engine problems before; only during the hot summer, which is definitly not as hot as, where you live, but 60 - 80 degree Celsius in the sun is easy to reach. I had the feeling that the solar panel on the roof of the Karma became extremely hot. But neither I nor my dealer came to any traceable conclusion to my start engine problem.

Any other ideas?

Thank you all.

Axel16

·
Registered
108 Posts
I wonder if your cooling fans for the main battery were upgraded ?
It may be that your battery temperature is too hot and not allowing the car to power up until the temp drops.

I'm no expert, just my guess.

You might consider leaving the windows open an inch or two to help cool off the interior of the car and see if that helps.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is exactly the suggestion, that my dealer gave me, besides he did not point out that I might be lacking an upgrade of the cooling fans. I will talk to him on Tuesday. When I left the rear windows open, the forementioned problem did not occur even, when the car heated up. So there is definitly a correlation betweeen the battery becoming to hot and the settings in the software not allowing to start the engine in this situation.

Very helpful Special K!

I will report of how the story goes on

1 - 6 of 6 Posts