Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, first time ever i have had an issue with the karma and this is the second one i've owned!

1. Last night i headed out and first time ever i noticed the "Front parking sensor" not working message appear. Didn't think much of it at the time, figured not a big deal.

2. Drove for 20 minutes, comfortably as usual, was raining and windows fogged a bit, so i turned on AC, all good... business as usual.

3. got to my destination and parked the car, shutdown and stepped away for 10 minutes. Nothing new.

4. Got back in the karma, started car, nothing unusual for the first 3 minutes and then the paranormal activity began. Shutdown. Out of nowhere while i was reversing, stuck in the middle of the street. Started back up put in drive to park, made progress 5 feet, shutdown on it's own again. Hazard lights flashing regardless of on or off... car was dead as night except for the flashing hazard lights which could not be turned off regardless of car on/off.

6. Turned on a few times and most it lasted was 3 minutes before going back into the infinite loop of startup/shutdown on it's own.

7. While car was on tried testing windows: my drivers side window would open, but russian roulette to close it back... funny enough all other windows opened and closed on demand.

8. Tried soft reboot, no good. Hazard lights going, car turning on and off on its' own for a good 5 minutes.... screw that, i go for the hard reboot.

9. Hard reboot, looked nice initially, no hazard lights flashing when reset the cables. Decided to give it 5-10 minutes before another try, guess what? Hazard lights back on, same story all over again.

10. Here comes stupid me... well past 1am on Sunday night already, so i have a bit of an excuse, but here it is: i decide to disengage the connectors as per hard reboot and leave it there overnight in the safe spot that i had. Guess who closed the hood shut after the disconnect not making sure that one door was physically open so i could grab my stuff and take a taxi home for a quick nap? Yup... genius move.... so now i can't even open the doors to pop the hood open (have key fobs and tried valet but i suspect power is key here).

Fun stuff... slim jim in is my next move, please call out stupid if you see it that way before i make a simple fix a nuclear disaster. getting in the car is not a big deal i guess, but the rest of it i need help troubleshooting.

Based on what i've read i'm guessing either 12V supply issue, or a bit worse being the VCM.... Any guesses?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Did you ever have the water issue remediated? You know, the one where (rain) water works its way through the bottom of the windshield and into the back of the CIU? If not...then it wouldn't surprise me if a short circuit with the CIU could snowball and cause all of the other bizarre behavior.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Didn't think of it.... not the first time it's been in the rain and honestly it's seen worse in the past with snow and sleet. Never crossed my mind to think that it could be a water issue. We don't have a supporting dealer in Toronto, Canada. Anything that i could do to troubleshoot and see if it really is a water issue?

·
Early Adopter
1,257 Posts
Didn't think of it.... not the first time it's been in the rain and honestly it's seen worse in the past with snow and sleet. Never crossed my mind to think that it could be a water issue. We don't have a supporting dealer in Toronto, Canada. Anything that i could do to troubleshoot and see if it really is a water issue?
There is travling tech on this site who did mine (travis) and two tech who can answer that question -- harleyguy and phillyfisker that may be able to instruct you on how to do it yourself.

btw, my original dealer did mine and it was a bad job, travis re-did my with ticker and more adhesive and it looks like a better job.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wet CIU will definitely not cause these symptoms though. Sounds like a VCM (vehicle control module) issue, still possibly water related but on the other side.
If you have the fobs pop the emergency key out of it (the metal key ring portion) and open the passenger door to get in. Then climb across and open hood. Note the key is tight to turn in door its normal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm going to try the metal portion of the key again in passenger door..... First when I tried it was really tight and I thought I might be breaking something. Will try tonight and post back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok here's the conclusion:

1. FiskerPhilly rocks... thanks for the tip re valet key. Worked like a charm
2. Connected back to power and all good: message came up asking to press brakes and parking for recalibration.
3. Left it running for 10 mins, humming nicely like the very first day i got it.

Will post again tonight after i take it out for a drive. Left it in it's current spot charging up.

Thanks to all on FiskerBuzz for the insight and help.

·
Registered
282 Posts
ok here's the conclusion:

1. FiskerPhilly rocks... thanks for the tip re valet key. Worked like a charm
2. Connected back to power and all good: message came up asking to press brakes and parking for recalibration.
3. Left it running for 10 mins, humming nicely like the very first day i got it.

Will post again tonight after i take it out for a drive. Left it in it's current spot charging up.

Thanks to all on FiskerBuzz for the insight and help.
Great news!!! Does this mean we are not headed to Philly? :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We are headed to Phili for sure. Anyone in Ontario that wants to, please contact me at gharman @ roger.com

In fact, after boosting the 12v battery last night it drove wonderfully for 30 minutes and got me home in style as always. I shut off an turned on along the way to test it out a bit. Was all good.
This morning it seemed like the 12v was out of commission again. Going to boost one more time and see if it works. If not , then it's more than just 12v issue. In any case, making arrangements to head to Philly. It's time to give this puppy a full service and meet the good people of this support network.

And to the Delwari Group in Toronto and across Canada who aren't doing the simplest of tasks to support Fisker owners: suck it!!!!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts