Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The charger that comes with the Fisker can also charge at half speed (16 hours) as well as full speed (8hours).

Is there any reason to charge at half speed aside from if you do not have a dedicated 120volt circuit?

Is it better for the battery to charge at half speed?

Can I also leave the powerpack plugged in for a month while I go on vacation. It seems to stop charging when it goes full. My garage has a big window at the side so I think the solar panel should be able to trickle charge my 12 volt battery.

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Your a little off 16 hours is at full speed as you call it the reason the other setting is a lot of 110 outlets can't handle the higher current . It all depends on what size breaker you have for that circuit . Also the 110 outlet should be the only thing on that circuit not even a GFI . My prefer 220 charging

·
Registered
334 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
half charge

Charging the battery slower people have said in the past on lead-acid batteries helps the life of the battery. Harley what you are saying is that half speed charge, 120volt charge or 220 volt charge you do not think that it will change the life span of the batteries?

I have a GFI on one of the plugs, but I plug it into the standard plug beside the GFI. Are you saying this is a problem or that if you have a GFI breaker or are plugging it through the GFI plug.

It seems to me that the 120volt charger only draws under 13 amps anyways so a GFI on the circuit will not make a difference.

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
@grundoon, The responses may be a bit confusing because they are referring to two different issues. Let me try to clarify:

1) Your original question was about charging the big (also called the HV) battery. This is the battery that actually stores the power that moves the car and it is charged using the 110V connector that comes with the car. To answer your original question, the 6A option is available to accommodate electrical plugs that cannot deliver the full 15A for charging, for example, if there are other devices on the same circuit. Charging at 6A is basically pointless because at 675 Watts, the battery would take a very, very long time, on the order of day or more, to charge to full capacity. It would be easier to fire up the gas engine and drive to a public charging station to charge at 220V. As for any benefit, since the battery is perfectly fine to charge at 3300W (240V x 16A), it should be just fine charging at 1300A (110V x 12A) and going down to 6A basically is a waste of time for no real benefit.

2. The trickle charger mentioned by @WATTGAS and in the thread he linked refers to a different battery, the 12V automotive battery that powers all the other stuff in the car, the key fob receiver, radio, fan, headlights, etc. If you are going to be storing your car unused for extended periods of time, it is a good idea to put a small trickle charger on the car to keep the 12V battery topped up. The reason for this is that the 12V battery powers the circuits that control access to the big HV battery, and even if your big battery is fully charged, if the 12V battery is flat, you cannot even open the doors to the car with the remote, let alone get it started. I don't think this was what you were originally asking about, but it is very good advice, nevertheless.

3. To make things even more confusing, there is an entirely different topic that is often debated about the big HV battery, which has to do with how full you should charge it, particularly if you are going to store the car for a while. Lithium Ion batteries, like the ones in the Karma, the argument goes, tend to last longer if you keep them charged to 50%. This does not mean that you have to use the 6A option on the adapter, it just means that you stop charging it when the battery shows half full (or 25 Miles of indicated range), rather than letting it charge all the way (50 Miles of indicated range). This has to do with the heat generated and chemical changes that happen in a battery when it is charged. Obviously, if you are using the car to drive around, you would want as much range as possible, but if you plan to store car, some say that it is better to charge the big HV battery only half way before putting the car away.

Hope this clarifies things a bit.

·
Registered
913 Posts
3. To make things even more confusing, there is an entirely different topic that is often debated about the big HV battery, which has to do with how full you should charge it, particularly if you are going to store the car for a while. Lithium Ion batteries, like the ones in the Karma, the argument goes, tend to last longer if you keep them charged to 50%. ... This has to do with the heat generated and chemical changes that happen in a battery when it is charged. ...
Note that there are many different Li-ion battery chemistries as well, with various trade-offs. The Karma uses "lithium iron phosphate" (LiFePO4) which is naturally longer-lasting than lithium cobalt oxide (LiCoO2). The latter is used in laptops and cell phones, as it stores more energy in less weight, but generally needs replacement within three years (but most people upgrade their cell phones every two years anyway).

I'm no battery expert, but here on Wikipedia, they claim: "the calendar life of LiFePO4 cells is not affected by high charge states." (That last link then goes to an article specifically on lithium iron phosphate batteries.)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Limited charge

Does the car regulate the have or full charge? I purchased two battery chargers
Through Home Depot (LaGrange ) about 10 months ago ,,installed both ,at two
Different locations,,, Home and office garage.... When I hook up the chargers, they run about a minute and the chargering lights go green and they stop.
My car says they are half full, won't seem to charge past that..
How does the gas engine charge the car?
I really enjoy my car, but don't understand this issue..
Thanks
Glen

·
Premium Member
3,077 Posts
Does the car regulate the have or full charge? I purchased two battery chargers
Through Home Depot (LaGrange ) about 10 months ago ,,installed both ,at two
Different locations,,, Home and office garage.... When I hook up the chargers, they run about a minute and the chargering lights go green and they stop.
My car says they are half full, won't seem to charge past that..
How does the gas engine charge the car?
I really enjoy my car, but don't understand this issue..
Thanks
Glen
First off welcome to the forum Glen where do you live ? If you have two chargers and either one of them aren't charging the battery you might have a deeper problem . Do you let the car got to sleep before you plug the charger in? The gas engine really doesn't charge the battery that was changed when Fisker couldn't meet the emission requirements out in Cailf . When you plug the charger in you should hear a bunch of clunking type noises from under the car those are the positive and negative contactors closing when you hear them close continue listening if you hear that same noise like 10 too 15 seconds after you plug the charger in you have a EDM problem . Another question is your check engine light on .

·
Registered
1 Posts
The charger that comes with the Fisker can also charge at half speed (16 hours) as well as full speed (8hours).

Is there any reason to charge at half speed aside from if you do not have a dedicated 120volt circuit?

Is it better for the battery to charge at half speed?

Can I also leave the powerpack plugged in for a month while I go on vacation. It seems to stop charging when it goes full. My garage has a big window at the side so I think the solar panel should be able to trickle charge my 12 volt battery.
Hello friend I do need your help.. I am looking to install solar charging system so is it really worth to have it? I hope you will help me with your experience..

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They just recommend a trickle charger. You can buy one for $20-$50. Like a 2 amp trickle charge and attach it like you would any other car. Henry Fisker made a video about how to do it here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QKi2zYXm0A Here he talks about a complete recharge, but the same charging principle applies.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sure if you want to charge your car with solar panels go for it. Or you could put a smaller solar panel for just a enough charge to trickle charge on the roof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts