Fisker Buzz Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Fisker R&D and Build Tech
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

I worked for Fisker Automotive for two years in the Vehicle Engineering group as an R&D build and test Technician. What this means is that I along with a few others, I worked with the engineers at Fisker to further develop and validate solutions with the Karma, most of which were released as TSB's or slated for production introduction.

We were also given the task to instruct and implement the update and repair strategies for the Karma Globally. I have traveled to the distributors in Europe and to some of their franchises to assist with and demonstrate updates and repairs. I was stationed at the Munich office and dispatched in Europe to keep the European company fleet prepared and instruct on vehicle update and repair procedures.

I have disassembled and rebuilt the Karma to frame level more than once and helped develop the process for the NVH improvement package. I was deeply involved and know the proper upgrades for the RDM, and how to diagnose and rebuild the HV battery as well as the multiple electronic systems and components of the vehicle and drivetrain.

As well as being one of very few Factory Master Fisker Technicians, I am a BMW level one Master Technician. I am also certified as a Master Technician with the independent national organization ASE.

I am currently working on an RDM issue with Lormax (Travis) and I am offering my services to help you keep your vehicles on the road. I am a direct connection for any NOS parts currently in North America and can help broker parts procurement.

I am available for contact at the email and web site listed below.

Sincerely,
Greg Lasavio
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,975 Posts
Welcome! Curious what the details are on the NVH package - same as what Lormax had described? Also, did FA apply loctite to the splines on any corp cars? Was tht a MY14 improvement?

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi Greg,

It's great to have you contributing here. Looking forward to more of your insights - not to mention those elusive NOS parts that many of us need so badly.

Thanks for your support in this virtual community of people who love their Karmas.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gregg we could use all the help we can get . Just curious what took you so long to join the forum and offer your help .

·
Registered
886 Posts
Welcome Greg and thanks for the impressive CV.
The Munich office is closed completely? How many people have been there?
You had to leave Germany or do we have our first FA factory tech in Eu?
Same question as Harleyguy: where have you been?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have been deciding what I want to do with myself since furloughed. I thought I might open a shop for Karma and BMW work and......? Still deciding. But with the RDM Travis and I are doing it is evident that some things should be done before very bad things happen. The RDM that should not have an issue according to FA. It has the updated clip in the RDM, yet the shaft came loose and there is excessive wear on the motor splines.

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With Herr Koehler there were five or six. Germany dealers did not welcome the Karma with open arms. Admittedly there were issues that the Europeans are far more concerned about than most of the US customers.

mailto:[email protected]

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The corporate cars were the first to get the Loctite. Some engineers are not as easy to convince that there are clearance issues.
The Karma is not the only car to have spline issues. BMW's ActiveE 1-Series EV
is stripping the motor drive splines also. It is difficult to know how well their solution will work. I do not believe the vehicles are slated to run for more than 1 year.

mailto:[email protected]

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Brugge, thank you for joining the forum. I do not know what RDM stands for, but this seems very serious. Are the splines made of soft material that connot take the torque?

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes they are too soft. The splines on the Rear Drive Module (male side) fit into the motor (female side). From the factory they are coated with grease, but there is nothing to keep the grease in place. After a short while the contact area starts to rust which makes an excellent abrasive compound. The splines in the motor wear much faster than the shaft splines on the RDM. Eventually the splines in the motors are likely to strip out. The later motors, I am not sure of the VIN range, are hardened to a greater hardness rating. They SHOULD last much longer, but as with so many things Fisker there has not been proper durability testing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@ Brugge.....how is the situation for us guys in Europe? do we also have a indipendant trained technicians available?

It is very important to know somebody.....It is possible that dealers are not so motivated anymore (please do not read me wrong) to help clients out as they are not backed up anymore by Fisker Automotive.
Some guys as I see on the forum are thinking in solutions..:thumbup::):)

·
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Independant Techs

@ Brugge.....how is the situation for us guys in Europe? do we also have a indipendant trained technicians available?

It is very important to know somebody.....It is possible that dealers are not so motivated anymore (please do not read me wrong) to help clients out as they are not backed up anymore by Fisker Automotive.
Some guys as I see on the forum are thinking in solutions..:thumbup::):)

To the best of my knowledge there are no independent Techs over there. There is support from the importers and some of the dealers. Parts are a huge issue at this time. Some of them know how to do the Loctite, some do not. Contacting a local dealer or the main importer is probably the best option at this time. Ask what kind of support they offer and where you can get service. Emil Frey AG, Nellemann Holding and GP Suppercar are the importers. They all have different dealers depending on the countries they are responsible for.

·
Dutch Karma
25 Posts
Hi Lowlands,

Your best try would be to give Kroymans in Hilversum a call.
They plan on becoming the European Service Center for FA in case of bankruptcy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts