Fisker Buzz Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Carved - Karma bites back
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

I have 20000km on my Fisker Karma and it seems my front tires are ready for replacement.
Is this normal? What is the mileage/km you reach with the goodyears?
What is a valid alternative then the goodyear tire?

Steve

·
Registered
536 Posts
Guys

I have 20000km on my Fisker Karma and it seems my front tires are ready for replacement.
Is this normal? What is the mileage/km you reach with the goodyears?
What is a valid alternative then the goodyear tire?

Steve
There are 2 other recent threads discussing this very question.
My tread is 50 percent (according to the great post in one of these threads by FAChassis) and I'm just under 5000 miles, so I've no idea how that happened (bought with over4000 miles)

·
Registered
243 Posts
replacing mine at 12,000 miles- BTW using Discount tire- they will match Tirerack prices including rebate and install and warranty- more convenient for me since you can just pull in and they will fix for free anytime and if needs to be replaced early, they pro-rate the cost

·
Fisker Driver
79 Posts
Just replacing at 12.5k. great deal on the tires now though. Got mine through Tirerack.com. wish I knew the discount tire deal. I've paid alot more for lesser tires in the past though.

·
Carved - Karma bites back
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Seems normal... if I read this. Anyone tried another brand already? Yoko? Pirelli PZero?

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Does anyone have any words of wisdom I should tell the tire store who are mounting my two front tires tomorrow? Proper jack points for the lift... balancing etc? I'd hate to do some damage and undo all the money I saved ordering through Tire-Rack.

BTW, I have 12,000 miles on mine.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Wow... thank you NJ Fisker Guy! I'm not sure what i'm looking at, can you explain? I sooo appreciate this!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pic is a shot of the front subframe, and the engine oil pan above it. Good advice, best to not put a jack on this surface.

Factory suggestion is to use Hunter GSP9700 with a shop that regularly mounts and balances large diameter wheels. Important to 'match mount' to minimize road force variation (RFV). This is an iterative process, so find a shop thats willing to devote the time. Critical part of this process is that the bead is fully seated to the rim, so the tech should use a liberal amount of lubricant. The match mounting is separate from the dynamic balance process. If they've done it correctly you'll have tape-weights on the inner and outer rim, hopefully not more than 115g on either side.

If, after new assemblies are installed, there's significant vibration in the steering wheel at highway speeds best advice is to drive car for a few days to see if it lessens. If not return the vehicle to the shop for a follow up dynamic balance to relocate the tape-weights. If the bead seating process wasn't done effectively initially it will eventually seat after 20 miles or so. In this case the balance could be out by around 30 g or more. This is enough to light off a steering wheel vibration.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Ok... So the picture above is how not to lift the car, and lomax will send me the correct way. I will postpone my appointment tomorrow morning If I don't hear fom you.

Thank you for all your help!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Steven, its called the crossmember the steering rack is mounted to it. well Harlyguy says not to so i guess i have to believe him..LOL

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
8AVGMPG, NJFISKERGUY and Lormax,

Thank you so much for the info. The tyre store delayed the installation to Monday when their super duper guy is back from vacation.

BTW, what is the correct torque for the lug nuts?

I've attached a picture of my front tire at 12,000 Miles so others can gauge their wear. As you can see, the outside is quite worn compared to the rest of the tyre. The dealer said at 5,000 miles that this is normal because the "camber is very aggressive".

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
There's at least two other threads that cover outside shoulder wear at length. Has nothing to do with camber, if anything negative camber would wear the inside shoulders. At -0.5deg front camber this is a very typical SLA camber spec.

Lugnut torque current spec is 220 Nm, for both std and Magni-coated lugnuts.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts